'New' Breakthrough....

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi did anyone see BBC new at one with the new break though for type two where a trial has taken place to reverse diabetes, it involves doing a controlled liquid diet of 800 calories to aid weight loss for five months, to rid the fat around the pancreas so it works again, sounds familiar. A women lost 4 plus stone and reversed her type two.....just wondered if anyone watched it and thought it sounded familiar ..

Reactions: Glenmac and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The report states 800cals for 5mths not 8weeks at 600cals.
Also that type2 is due to fat stopping pancreas to produce insulin....durr! Nope.

The news report is the new findings released by newcastle diet professor?
@bulkbiker might know more.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The report states 800cals for 5mths not 8weeks at 600cals.
Also that type2 is due to fat stopping pancreas to produce insulin....durr! Nope.

The news report is the new findings released by newcastle diet professor?
@bulkbiker might know more.

Yes, I too cringed at the T2 stuff. Totally wrong. Also seemed to imply it was 800 cals of shakes, not 600 and 200 cals veggies.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi did anyone see BBC new at one with the new break though for type two where a trial has taken place to reverse diabetes, it involves doing a controlled liquid diet of 800 calories to aid weight loss for five months, to rid the fat around the pancreas so it works again, sounds familiar. A women lost 4 plus stone and reversed her type two.....just wondered if anyone watched it and thought it sounded familiar ..

Yes, I saw it and was confused by their explanation. That's possibly down to journalists not having a clue, bless them. I can see that some type II diabetics will have a pancreas that may not be functioning 100%, possibly down to drugs making it work harder or even insulin resistance making it work harder in the first place.

My limited experience of trying the Newcastle Diet for 6 weeks on 800 calories a day was that it leveled my BG beautifully, incidentally, my pancreas is producing insulin within the normal range as per my c-peptide test. I shall have another go at the Newcastle in the new year. Five months? I'll start with two and see how it goes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hadn't heard the news release but caught half of something on the radio.. if the quotes on the BBC page from Prof Taylor are correct then he's being a bit disingenuous to say the least.. But at least he's come clean with 46% which is kind of what I thought the results would be rather than, as some have claimed, 80%. Obviously its all about maintaining the "reversal" so lets see if there will be regular follow ups published. Still a cynic as you can see...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw the tail end of it - was a bit confused by the guy who had reversed his diabetes saying it was a water based diet?? - also it's an option if you have weight to lose but what about those skinny T2s - still for all it's misinformation it's still a step in the right direction I suppose

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did this in less time on twice as many calories of real food most of which came from fats and protein.
In that time I lost above 16kg and reduced my HbA1c to under the stated 48mmol/mols
I went on to lose a total of 25kg , reduced my HbA1c even lower, and have maintained weight for 3 years.

That doesn't mean to say I am not in awe of those that stick to the ND and achieve success. My admiration goes out to them, but the low carb way of eating, even when calorie controlled, worked better for me, and still is doing. (no longer calorie controlled!)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As has been said, what about us TOFIs? We are never mentioned by Dr. Taylor or by journalists. My nasty suspicious mind tells me that this is because there are those who choose to ignore the fact that insulin drives weight gain and is a symptom not a cause.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As has been said, what about us TOFIs? We are never mentioned by Dr. Taylor or by journalists. My nasty suspicious mind tells me that this is because there are those who choose to ignore the fact that insulin drives weight gain and is a symptom not a cause.

I need to know that too. This was the reply from Diabetes UK :

Hi Diana. The DiRECT study only looked at people who were overweight. We are currently funding another project called ReTUNE which is investigating whether people of normal weight could benefit from a similar weight loss approach to put T2 into remission.

The trouble is I could not afford to lose another 15kgs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Diana. The DiRECT study only looked at people who were overweight. We are currently funding another project called ReTUNE which is investigating whether people of normal weight could benefit from a similar weight loss approach to put T2 into remission.

What a ridiculous thing for them to say, and do! Weight loss diet for the thinnies. Lol.

Reactions: Grannypat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

I lost far too much weight and was seriously concerned at one point. I have now gained a little back (thanks to creamed coffee) but I look 'Spare' as my Mum used to say. I think I look like the ultra skinny child I once was and family and HCPs were concerned about me back then. Weight gain is one symptom of T2 and as we are all different it stands to reason that as with any condition we differ in what symptoms we get.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did this in less time on twice as many calories of real food most of which came from fats and protein.
In that time I lost above 16kg and reduced my HbA1c to under the stated 48mmol/mols
I went on to lose a total of 25kg , reduced my HbA1c even lower, and have maintained weight for 3 years.

That doesn't mean to say I am not in awe of those that stick to the ND and achieve success. My admiration goes out to them, but the low carb way of eating, even when calorie controlled, worked better for me, and still is doing. (no longer calorie controlled!)
And have you 'reversed' @bluetit ?

(I know the answer to this question already, since I have seen you post on the forum for quite a while, but just wanted to make the point :D )

Discopants9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
just seen it on the 6 o'clock news, the woman on it says she is now eating normally after having her diabetes reversed - after them showing T2 is caused by fat around the pancreas disappointed with the BBC in terms of their reporting on this

Reactions: Guzzler

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I’ve lost over 3 stone in 4 months with low carbs! What’s the fuss about these wonder drinks - just needs willpower. And I am still measuring 6.1 bs so still not reversed and probably- I’ve been told never will

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After I was diagnosed I cut out carbs because I saw the effect of them on my bgl's. (My experience backed up what members on here had said). Apart from cutting them out I ate what I wanted to, when I wanted to and how much I wanted to eat. I eat out about 3 times per week. I lost weight and am still loosing weight and my bgls came down quickly. Apart from cutting out carbs and alcohol it was effortless and painless and so so easy.

I am uneasy about the emphasis on loosing weight because T2's are already stigmatised as in you got it 'cause you are fat' it's all your fault. This then extends to 'you have got it back because you are fat again'. No acknowledgement of carb addiction or carb cravings. No acknowledgement of the role of insulin in weight gain.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I confess I was amused by the lady who, at the end of the report I saw, said 'If I can do it, anybody can do it'. She either had a very low opinion of her own abilities, or, more likely, she knows little of the problems diabetes poses quite a few of the rest of us.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Can i recommend supplement r-ala? It allowed me to help my insulin find its correct pathway, to convert glucose into energy. I lost weight therafter but im confident only because my body wasnt 'broken', for a change. A great antioxident.
It's obvious none over-weight type2s have a clear pathway problem not fat around their organs. Just my opinion thou.