Just a cold......

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So,this is the first time I have been poorly since dx. I have other health problems, but this is my first virus. I am sitting here with a runny nose, headache etc and am not happy!!

My bgl has been higher for the last couple of days and now its 9.3. Hasn't been that high (except when I have eaten way too many carbs) since I started testing.

I understand that it will get higher, but I'm wondering if non d's experience this as well? And are there any hints, tips etc or do we just sit it out? Im not on insulin etc, just metformin.

Any advice gratefully received. I have read the sick day rules.
Thanks all.

D

Deleted Account

Non-D's will experience liver dumps to fight their lurgy but are unlikely to experience the BG high because their pancreas will react to the rising BG and release insulin to bring it back to normality.

As a t1, I take more insulin but that option is not available to you.
I think you need to focus on getting better - resting, not getting dehydrated and not stuffing yourself with sugary cold reliefs (relieves?). There are a few sugar-free options available on your could do the old vicks-vapour-rubs or towel over your head and a steamy bowl.
Try not to stress over your higher than usual BG as the stress will raise it more.

Take care of yourself and, if possible, make the most of getting some help in that area.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just getting over one. It's pretty horrible isn't it?
Anyway, not easy when there are things still to be done but try to rest as much as possible. I'm a great fan of First Defence sprayed up the nostrils or the good old Vicks in a bowl of steaming water, towel over the head and inhale. I take paracetamol if achy (which I was). Apart from that it is the usual advice of drink plenty water to stay hydrated and eat things like soups. You can't beat chicken soup when you are ill.
I gave up trying to find shop bought remedies that were ok with my meds. Sorry there's no miracle cure. Hope you get better soon.

PS my youngest grandson commented on my cough this morning going to pre school. I told him that my cough was me getting better. It happens he says "because Nana's are so, so old". Are you saying I am so, so old? " No, you're just so old" - thanks for that cheering thought

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted similarly last night :(
I’m suffering my first virus since Type 2 diagnosis. I have had a sore throat since last Tuesday, lost my voice for a few days but it’s all starting to improve now. I noticed my post meal sugars go up first, now today my pre b’fast and lunch readings have been higher too. No change in diet, hoping it’ll revert back to normal quickly.
Get well soon Kentoldlady1 x

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had the lurgy this past week as well.

For about 4 years before pre-d I always felt my colds seem to be worse and more frequent than others, now when my blood glucose levels rise I understand why I feel really ****. With the constant thirst and trips to the bathroom added to the mix, it is the only time I have obvious symptoms of diabetes.

Reactions: maglil55

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One tip I learned about Vic is to put some on your feet when you go to bed. No idea why it works, but it does. Much better than when I was a child having to suffer it rubbed all over my chest and a small blob on my tongue! First Defence (as mentioned above) is very good.

I have just emerged at the end of a very nasty virus that gave me migraine type headaches, face ache, eye ache, sinus ache, and a lot of disturbed nights. Considering these were the first headaches I have experienced in the 17 years since I finished work, I was not pleased. I didn't have the normal cold symptoms, but the GP said it was a "cold virus". My BS went up and stayed up for the first week, then dropped back to normal for the second and a bit weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all.

Didnt even think about first defence, but will get some.

I also didnt realise that bgl.would still high for.some time after the virus leaves. Thats just unfair!

I am finding the headache the worst. Still have to get my grandchildren and then pick up daughter in law. I just love not working any more. I have all.this time to sit around and do nothing!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Get well soon, lass.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all.

I also didnt realise that bgl.would still high for.some time after the virus leaves. Thats just unfair!

I am finding the headache the worst. Still have to get my grandchildren and then pick up daughter in law. I just love not working any more. I have all.this time to sit around and do nothing!
Yep! Grandchildren don't stop because we are ill. I'm sure I had a quieter time when I worked.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One tip I learned about Vic is to put some on your feet when you go to bed. No idea why it works, but it does. Much better than when I was a child having to suffer it rubbed all over my chest and a small blob on my tongue! First Defence (as mentioned above) is very good.

I have just emerged at the end of a very nasty virus that gave me migraine type headaches, face ache, eye ache, sinus ache, and a lot of disturbed nights. Considering these were the first headaches I have experienced in the 17 years since I finished work, I was not pleased. I didn't have the normal cold symptoms, but the GP said it was a "cold virus". My BS went up and stayed up for the first week, then dropped back to normal for the second and a bit weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.
I also have memories of kaolin poultice as well that my grandmother would use on me when I was chesty. I find it quite worrying that it is only for sale for use in stables now

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any one remember camphor blocks? My mum would tie one on a bit of string to wear around our necks like a sort of horrifically smelly bit of jewellery.

I loved it.
I'm sure my grandmother used to put them in drawers and in the wardrobe for moths? I can remember the smell and the smell of kaolin.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
All I can say is, it's a good job you ladies don't get the real flu like us blokes do...

:rolleyes:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well having rid myself of one cold I have now succumbed to a second even worse than the one before. Fever, runny nose , watery eyes....you get the idea. Been back on paracetamol and First Defence for 2 days now but strangely BGs are OK. Thankful for small mercies.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks all.

Just as there is an incubation period for all virus' there is a period after we feel 'recovered' when the immune system is still mopping up. If memory serves (and it often doesnt!) it takes the virus responsible for the common cold just 20 mins to gain a foothold then less than 24 hours of incubation.
Often the immune system is still working at full capacity mopping up when a different strain of the cold virus attacks so that is why we sometimes seem to get one cold after another. Interesting stuff but of absolutely no benefit when we are suffering the dreaded lurgy.

C

chris lowe

Can sympathise with all fellow sufferers. Had mine for 5 days, cough, hot, shivers, sweats, and aches in joints I didn't know I had. Didn't eat anything for 3 days but BS was still a 9. Hopefully on the road to recovery, still coughing but the hot & cold shakes & the aches have gone have gone.