Lidl High Protein Rolls

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Prem51 Is that bottom photo an old one?

I think it might be - at my store they're selling at 29p each, or 4 for £1; that promotion has been going for a while now (hope it continues). Though, I can visualise that if they become more popular / well-known, the price just might increase .......

Reactions: Bluetit1802

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rather a price increase than discontinued
CAROL

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's from when the high protein rolls were first sold, about 2 years ago. They are 29p each now, but a bit smaller.

I only wondered because it said "new" and I wondered if they were a new size, or new ingredients.
They are still 4 for £1 in my store, and yes, smaller than they were.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only wondered because it said "new" and I wondered if they were a new size, or new ingredients.
They are still 4 for £1 in my store, and yes, smaller than they were.
Hmm, that's a nuisance. I've only ever seen carbs/roll, so if they're smaller I wonder what they'll be. Anyone got a carbs/100g for them?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Prem51 Is that bottom photo an old one?
Just had a response from Lidl Customer Care. High Protein rolls are definitely being removed from stores, and there are no plans at present to bring them back. Their marketing dept is aware of some interest in their return.

The link provided by @maglil55 certainly accesses the right place, but so far does not give the right answer for us.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a response from Lidl Customer Care. High Protein rolls are definitely being removed from stores, and there are no plans at present to bring them back. Their marketing dept is aware of some interest in their return.

The link provided by @maglil55 certainly accesses the right place, but so far does not give the right answer for us.

Oh no! Very upsetting, but they have been teeteringon the brink for several months now. Problem is, we are very much snowed in at the moment, with little chance of getting out tomorrow to replenish supplies with whatever there is left in store. Obviously "some interest" isn't good enough business for them.

I guess from what you say, they didn't mention exactly when they would be removed completely.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, that's a nuisance. I've only ever seen carbs/roll, so if they're smaller I wonder what they'll be. Anyone got a carbs/100g for them?

Hi barrym,
I have some figures, but sorry to say I can't remember where I got them from (to verify/reference if you wish). Here's what I have:
for 100g roll: cals: 268, carbs: 9.8g, protein: 26.7g, fat: 13.4g, fibre: 12.4g
for 85g roll: cals: 228, carbs: 8.3g, protein: 22.7g, fat: 11.4g, fibre: 10.5g

But - in view of @Oldvatr's post above, they may be rather scarce; guess it depends upon how long your local store continues to stock them.

Reactions: Prem51

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I suggest everyone bombards them using the contact form or Facebook Messenger. I realise there are bread options ( I buy many of them and make them ) but there's nothing like the Lidl High Protein Roll to buy off the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G935F using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: dbr10

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that is a bummer . For me Lidl wasn't very convenient so I only had them occasionally, but did enjoy them. For those who want a suitable alternative I can highly recommend Hi-Lo, high protein low carb bread. I get it at Sainsbury's but it isn't their product afaik. High seed content which keeps carbs to 5g a slice. I freeze it and defrost a slice of two at a time. It works as fresh bread or toast. Not an artisan loaf, but plenty nice enough.

Give it a try.

Oh, generally very gentle on BGs too.

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A real pity if these are being discontinued. And based on my Lidl, they almost always seem to be the thing that sells out quickly compared to all the other bakery stuff, so it's hard to believe that there is little interest them in ALL stores!

It may just be that Lidl CS don't know what they are talking about, you never know.

About a month ago there wasn't even shelf space for them in my Lidl. I emailed CS and enquired, and they said they are no longer being made and don't know if they ever will be again. The next day there was a two shelves full of them, and there has been ever since, and they go very quickly. In their response email, they had even changed the description to "low carb rolls". Which they are also still doing.

Reactions: Prem51 and maglil55

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A real pity if these are being discontinued. And based on my Lidl, they almost always seem to be the thing that sells out quickly compared to all the other bakery stuff, so it's hard to believe that there is little interest them in ALL stores!

It may just be that Lidl CS don't know what they are talking about, you never know.

About a month ago there wasn't even shelf space for them in my Lidl. I emailed CS and enquired, and they said they are no longer being made and don't know if they ever will be again. The next day there was a two shelves full of them, and there has been ever since, and they go very quickly. In their response email, they had even changed the description to "low carb rolls". Which they are also still doing.

Ah, I wonder if this latest info is just semantics - and/or staff not having the full picture, or not being able to connect the dots ......

The last time we thought they were going to discontinue selling the rolls, that turned out to be not the case. They did discontinue the 100g rolls, and replace with an 85g* roll, with a completely different product stock number. I can well see that in the mind of a stock clerk, customer services, or similar, that would be interpreted as not selling them anymore (100g with their appropriate stock number). and those same people not necessarily knowing that there was a 'new' product at 85g with its own stock number, that just happened to have exactly the same ingredients as the discontinued 100g roll.

If the change this time is in the name of the rolls (from high protein to low carb), but essentially the roll remains just as before, I can well see how that could result in individual staff having different perspectives on what is happening - and that "we are withdrawing high protein rolls" could be the case, as far as they are concerned.

Perhaps it's simply another "adjustment" in response to customer demands and/feedback, and/or response to more recent publicity about the spread of diabetes.

.... this reads as pretty desperate, doesn't it ... (( sigh )) Oh well, time will tell.

edit: *rolls are supposed to be 85g but I find the size can vary quite a lot, I've had them anything up to 105g

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

In my store the name change was to Low GI Rolls, and a google on their nutrition shows 48% carb content. They look different too, so I will be giving them a miss in accordance with David Jacobs (and a raspberry noise to accompany that).

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been finding them to average about 100g recently.

My Lidl has Low GI Rolls, Low GI Loafs, and High Protein Rolls.

And I can't have a go at them for getting names muddled up, because I think they probably said "Low GI" rolls in their response email, not "Low Carb" rolls as I stated in my previous post! But either way, they definitely were confused, because I checked that I had been referring to the High Protein Rolls in my message to them, and they came back with a different name:)

So hopefully they might still be around in the future. Would be a real shame if they disappear as I seem to remember the ingredients weren't exactly readily available things so people could bake something similar things themselves.

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my store the name change was to Low GI Rolls, and a google on their nutrition shows 48% carb content. They look different too, so I will be giving them a miss in accordance with David Jacobs (and a raspberry noise to accompany that).

It may seem like my previous post was in response to this - it wasn't, you got your post in just before mine!

Anyway, in response to that, my store has both Low GI Rolls (roundish things) and High Protein Rolls (triangular), so I don't think there has been a name change, just that they definitely got confused when I emailed them.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may seem like my previous post was in response to this - it wasn't, you got your post in just before mine!

Anyway, in response to that, my store has both Low GI Rolls (roundish things) and High Protein Rolls (triangular), so I don't think there has been a name change, just that they definitely got confused when I emailed them.
In my store the basket that used to hold high protein triangles, now holds Low GI roundish things, and there is no basket allocated to the HP variety (not even an empty one to indicate that I need to get out earlier). Since these things are baked in store it may be that stores are using up their ingredient stocks and my store ran out earlier than elsewhere. I suspect that the bread mix came from an EU country and the price has gone up due to you know what, and this makes them unviable economically. It may be that they will re-appear after Brexit with a spanking new High Protein price tag.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my store the basket that used to hold high protein triangles, now holds Low GI roundish things, and there is no basket allocated to the HP variety.

That's what it was like at mine about 3 months ago, then ever since there have also been the HP ones, so you never know. Might be worth speaking to the people in store - I've read elsewhere (probably this forum!) that a manager in one store was even willing to have a certain quantity baked and put aside for a customer, you never know your luck!

But if your Brexit theory is correct, then we need to stamp down on Boris Johnson and the causes of Boris Johnson.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to note about palatability (or tastiness).
I normally toast the rolls, or heat them in the oven.
When "on the road" recently I had a roll which was straight from the store and it seemed a bit dull, dry and stodgy.

Recipe for nice non-stodgy Lidl roll. Run briefly under the cold tap and shake. Place in a warm oven (120C) for 10 minutes. Split, butter, and eat whilst still warm. Completely different experience.