Cold feet

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
I always have cold feet at the moment can any one tell me why is it my T1D??

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Is it cold where you are?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
A lot of Ds suffer from neuropathy, often in the feet. It is caused by high blood glucose
damaging the
nerves and can be long-lasting. One of the results of this can be poor circulation in the feet and may explain your problem.
I have been suffering with neuropathy and cold feet since diagnosis, although it is getting better slowly.

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None

A lot of Ds suffer from neuropathy, often in the feet. It is caused by high blood glucose
damaging the
nerves and can be long-lasting. One of the results of this can be poor circulation in the feet and may explain your problem.
I have been suffering with neuropathy and cold feet since diagnosis, although it is getting better slowly.
My T1D control is very very good never go above 12 mmol/l

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
In the everning....
Given how young you are and with you saying control is good then it's probably just one of those things. Sometimes we are too quick to blame diabetes for everything.

If you notice discoloration or changes on skin or sensation get your doc to take a look.

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Given how young you are and with you saying control is good then it's probably just one of those things. Sometimes we are too quick to blame diabetes for everything.

If you notice discoloration or changes on skin or sensation get your doc to take a look.
Going to my endocrinologist on Jan 22 so going to get them check my feet

Reactions: Diakat and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going to my endocrinologist on Jan 22 so going to get them check my feet
Good idea to get them checked out.

I FREEZE at night (unless I'm hypo - then I'm boiling) and since November I wear bedsocks - ooooooh I'm SO 43 years old! - as it's got so much colder at night now. Brrrrrrr! I don't put my cold feet down to my type 1 though - just the season.

:)

(Edited for rubbish punctuation)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Isn't that level fairly high?
Not for a type 1. We'd all love to be in the 4-9 window all the time but sometimes weird stuff happens...

Macdonald1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea to get them checked out.

I FREEZE at night (unless I'm hypo - then I'm boiling) and since November I wear bedsocks - ooooooh I'm SO 43 years old! - as it's got so much colder at night now. Brrrrrrr! I don't put my cold feet down to my type 1 though - just the season.

:)

(Edited for rubbish punctuation)
I am the same my feet are really cold at night I am type 1 too,

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m Type 1 and get cold easily, I think there may be some circulation issues linked to Type 1 but I’m not certain. I’d suggest an extra layer or two!

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
T2D with neuropathy in feet/hands and more recently feet feeling very cold. I have noticed that coffee makes it worse :-(

MICHAELD11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, if you keep your B/G/ levels below 7mml it will calm the cold feeling in your feet, plus wear a pair themial socks in bed at night and you will find this will ease that awful feeling in your feet. I have tried this myself it does work.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
You have symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy with poor venous return - I wish I was as optimistic as the other poster who said it gets better after time.. Diabetic Neuropathy is the 'dying of the nerves' usually affecting the feet (toes especially) and hands, wrists and lower forearms - the pain is often 8/10. I am having difficulty typing this and can no longer play the piano - I wish you well. If you find a medication for the pain - please, please do tell me because there are NONE at present.

Maggieshauna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sonnyb2 I had been suffering from cold hands and feet for some time (so cold they were like wet fish! ) .I mentioned this at a GP appointment and my GP ran blood tests and discovered I have an under active thyroid...I did have other symptoms like brain fog and dry skin, brittle hair and nails. I was told that it’s another Autoimmun condition...I have others vitiligo and psoriasis.
On the whole I keep very well and it hasn’t stopped me doing anything...with five young grandchildren I don’t want to miss anything. I haven’t started treatment for the thyroid as I was only given the diagnosis on Christmas Eve and will see my GP in 2 days time to discuss treatment.
So mention your cold hands to your GP if it was to turn out to be your thyroid the treatment for an under active thyroid is just taking tablets and finding the right balance and adjusting the dose as needed (from my GP). Hope you get some help as cold hands make it very difficult to test your BG I have found...and get some nice warm gloves! Good luck!!!