Done with lantus, what next? Tresiba, Toujeo?

DickonPurdy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, first time posting in the forum. I've recently noticed my lantus was not lasting me the day (afternoon highs), I have split my dose having a morning and evening dose and my sugars are now very unpredictable. I have a active and varied lifestyle and have always needed to reduce my basal insulin for active weekends. I'm concerned the new particularly long duration insulins like tresiba and toujeo will reduce my freedom to change basal based on activity. Has anyone had experience using these with a particularly varied life!

Or should I be pushing for a pump which my consultant has mentioned in passing?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have/had the same problem My Doctor here in Thailand swears to this day that it last 24hrs but if you research Touejo the new drug to replace Lantus it seems to imply that T will last longer than L through 24hrs and that L did not quite last 24hrs. Now combine this with the fact that WE are all different and that constant use of the same drug can build up a resistance. (Antibiotics for Example.)
I also tried splitting my dose 6units am 6 pm but found I had to go to 8 am 8pm to get near the same BS results then I went back to 12units but at between 12.30 & 1.30 result back to normal but much better results without the morning spike .

Perhaps it does last longer at first who knows but maybe a change is worth a try

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, first time posting in the forum. I've recently noticed my lantus was not lasting me the day (afternoon highs), I have split my dose having a morning and evening dose and my sugars are now very unpredictable. I have a active and varied lifestyle and have always needed to reduce my basal insulin for active weekends. I'm concerned the new particularly long duration insulins like tresiba and toujeo will reduce my freedom to change basal based on activity. Has anyone had experience using these with a particularly varied life!

Levemir is the basal insulin type 1s are supposed to be on, according to NICE. It lasts about 12 hrs and is quickly responsive to dose changes, so flexible.

Reactions: Dearbhla

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Came here to mention Levemir but Catapillar already has........but just to say split dosing Levemir is probably the way to go or at least try, I can vouch for it's responsiveness to change on the odd occasion doing my basal dose in the morning and the cartridge running out by a unit or 2 and not bothering to replace it and doing the proper dose I've certainly noticed the difference during the day.

DickonPurdy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have/had the same problem My Doctor here in Thailand swears to this day that it last 24hrs but if you research Touejo the new drug to replace Lantus it seems to imply that T will last longer than L through 24hrs and that L did not quite last 24hrs. Now combine this with the fact that WE are all different and that constant use of the same drug can build up a resistance. (Antibiotics for Example.)
I also tried splitting my dose 6units am 6 pm but found I had to go to 8 am 8pm to get near the same BS results then I went back to 12units but at between 12.30 & 1.30 result back to normal but much better results without the morning spike .

Perhaps it does last longer at first who knows but maybe a change is worth a try

So you have changed back to 1 shot a day but changed the time you take it?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I found Tresiba wasnt for me due to different days of activitys. It was inflexible.

I'm on 3 shots of Insulatard and an extra bolus pre getting up for my basal now.

The only thing that was brilliant for 5 years for me was my pump. I could have different basals for weekends, activity days, amshifts, pm shifts etc... superb.
Unfortunately for me, after 5 years my skin started to block cannulas and I had to come off it. In two years I have trialled every basal and the Insulatard is the only one that is flexible enogh for me but it is a **** routine that I have to keep to....

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yes I have only have 2 shots a day now if I have to counter an unexpected sweet treat

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I'm type2 and my activity levels change from day to day and hormones change my amount of basal I need.
I'm on toujeo300.
Some days I'm in bed in agony and totally knackered and other days I'm walking in 3x 20mins slowly and steady.
I couldnt be happier with toujeo300.
However I don't know how it affects type 1s and if its few days to adjust after reducing or increasing is something you can foresee and have confidence to change in preparation of your more active days? I have to change mine in anticipation of needing less or back to a certain level after my period.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm finishing a few months trial of Tuojeo. I had been on Lantus for many years beforehand. I'm about to try Levemir.
My experience, my 7am Tuojeo dose hits me very strong at roughly 2pm thru til 6pm. And then it completely disappears, ineffective.
Diabetes nurses were annoyed at the new consultant who'd prescribed me Tuojeo. They said Tuojeo is best suited to type 2 diabetics. They told me to try LEVEMIR, to split its dose and therefore I'll have lots of flexibility with it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm finishing a few months trial of Tuojeo. I had been on Lantus for many years beforehand. I'm about to try Levemir.
My experience, my 7am Tuojeo dose hits me very strong at roughly 2pm thru til 6pm. And then it completely disappears, ineffective.
Diabetes nurses were annoyed at the new consultant who'd prescribed me Tuojeo. They said Tuojeo is best suited to type 2 diabetics. They told me to try LEVEMIR, to split its dose and therefore I'll have lots of flexibility with it.
How much Toujeo300 did you need since it's triple dosed?

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It-just-doesn't-work-for-me. It's very strong at about 6 or 7 hours after the morning dose, that's about 2pm. Round 2pm I've had bad hypos I didn't recognise(a1.4 and a 1.7!!!). With Lantus I had stronger hypo symptoms. And then Tuojeo seems to be ineffective overnight(blood sugars jump by 2to4 overnight, bed test at 6, I'll be 10or11 next morning. Even considered not eating evening meals in order to counteract this nonsense with Tuojeo.