Hospital menus

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m going into hospital tomorrow for an op and and an overnight stay. Having phoned admissions this morning to confirm which ward I have to go to, in my literature I was invited as a diabetic to phone the ward to discuss any special requirements I might have. I did just that and said I take Metformin and a low carb diet, and asked would there be provision for me? The nurse on the phone said there will be salads on the menu but no specific provision for me! Salad for breakfast? Interesting. I’m taking a goodie bag with me so I don’t starve!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
lol, I often have salad for breakfast. Food is food

Reactions: Arlmy and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your op.

I was in hospital for 4 days and nights over last weekend.

Breakfast was the same every day. Porridge or weetabix or cornflakes (all with skimmed milk) or a soft roll with jam and a spread. Small tub of concentrated orange juice.

Lunch and dinner had a choice of 4 mains. 2 of them extremely carb heavy. (pastry, pasta, rice, potatoes) One was a sandwich with various thinly spread fillings and a "margarine" spread. The fourth was a salad, but the salad was always Cos lettuce with half a hard tomato cut in half, half an egg, coleslaw and a slice of cucumber. The protein varied between ham or a PORK PIE, or roast beef. No dressings, never any cheese. Puddings were an ice cream made from buttermilk (ingredients listed in order, water, sugar, buttermilk extracts, chemicals.), or a zero fat fruit yogurt, or a piece of fresh fruit, or rice pudding.

Teas and coffee were served with skimmed milk. One thing for sure, they were pushing carbs and insistent on as near zero fat as possible.

Mr Blue brought me some food in, which I was able to keep in the fridge, but he couldn't bring in enough for each meal.
In the end I gave up and ate the sandwiches. :arghh: They were taking my BG at random times during the day and nothing above 6.3. I was also checking myself, and they were OK.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No specific provision. For a diabetic. In a hospital. In a country where 4 million people are thought to be diabetic. In a universe in which we know that food is a critical factor in treating diabetes.

It's hard to know what to say to that.
I was working in the NHS til last year so knew full well what will be on offer. I just thought I’d ring as I had been invited to discuss my requirements! The discussion was very short! It’s outrageous! :banghead:

Reactions: dbr10

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you been told what to do with Metformin, sometimes they like you to stop taking it.

For breakfast will they cook microwave scramble eggs for you?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your op.

Breakfast was the same every day. Porridge or weetabix or cornflakes (all with skimmed milk) or a soft roll with jam and a spread. Small tub of concentrated orange juice.

Lunch and dinner had a choice of 4 mains. 2 of them extremely carb heavy. (pastry, pasta, rice, potatoes) One was a sandwich with various thinly spread fillings and a "margarine" spread. The fourth was a salad, but the salad was always Cos lettuce with half a hard tomato cut in half, half an egg, coleslaw and a slice of cucumber. The protein varied between ham or a PORK PIE, or roast beef. No dressings, never any cheese. Puddings were an ice cream made from buttermilk (ingredients listed in order, water, sugar, buttermilk extracts, chemicals.), or a zero fat fruit yogurt, or a piece of fresh fruit, or rice pudding.

Teas and coffee were served with skimmed milk. One thing for sure, they were pushing carbs and insistent on as near zero fat as possible.

Mr Blue brought me some food in, which I was able to keep in the fridge, but he couldn't bring in enough for each meal.
In the end I gave up and ate the sandwiches. :arghh: They were taking my BG at random times during the day and nothing above 6.3. I was also checking myself, and they were OK.
I have non fridge stuff packed and my meter. At least I’m only there one night. I hope you’re recovering well from your stay Bluetit x

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
outrageous!

I'm glad someone else has used that word, because I'd just typed a post which used that, and the word "scandalous", and I worried it might sound over the top so I deleted it.

But it really is, isn't it? I mean, if you actually bother to think about it. Which someone, somewhere who should have, clearly hasn't.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you been told what to do with Metformin, sometimes they like you to stop taking it.

For breakfast will they cook microwave scramble eggs for you?
I have to omit my morning dose, but take my other meds (non diabetic stuff) as normal.
I’m hoping scrambled eggs might be an option!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your op.

Just imagine all the vulnerable / less clued-up diabetics who have to stay in hospital for long periods of time, putting all their trust in "the system" and not questioning anything.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your op. I found asking for the halal menu gave better low carb choices of curry minus rice or naan bread ( assuming you like curry!) other patients who didnt like curry but thought nhs food disgustingly inappropriate swore by the kosher menu. Otherwise Id just say that Im a dairy free pescararian with a grain intolerance - almost certain to get eggs in some form

Reactions: deb1960 and Rachox

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect most people find that hospital food is much lower sugar then they have at home!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your op. I found asking for the halal menu gave better low carb choices of curry minus rice or naan bread ( assuming you like curry!) other patients who didnt like curry but thought nhs food disgustingly inappropriate swore by the kosher menu
I do like a curry! :happy:

Reactions: geefull

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I didn't bother with breakfast. I was offered cereal or toast. I asked for two cups of tea!

With lunch and dinners I tried to go for the lowest carb option (difficult!) so I ended up eating a lot of omelettes that looked like elephants' ears with a dessertspoon of overcooked veg. When it came to dessert I opted for cheese and crackers, and just ate the cheese. The nurses wised up to this and gave me extra cheese portions.

I also asked my husband to bring in some almonds and pork scratchings!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your op. I found asking for the halal menu gave better low carb choices of curry minus rice or naan bread ( assuming you like curry!) other patients who didnt like curry but thought nhs food disgustingly inappropriate swore by the kosher menu. Otherwise Id just say that Im a dairy free pescararian with a grain intolerance - almost certain to get eggs in some form

I was actually tempted to make a political point about hospitals being more willing to treat religion than illness when it comes to food, but that is a far more positive slant on it! Just be practical and take advantage of the fact that some food aimed at certain faiths or cultures is more suitable for diabetics.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I had an argument with one of the nurses when I was last in hospital. I, as have many, done the DAPHNE (DAFYDD course in Wales) course and I bolus for what I eat (and I do like to eat). I put my choices down and the nurse came over to me and was crossing out what I had put down due to me being a "DIABETIC". Told her i count carbs and bolus for what I eat and she told me that I was not telling the truth. Start of argument. She had to call my diabetic nurse who had to explain to her what was happening. Same nurse still came up the following day with a preset dose of insulin drawn out for me. Totally ignored her after that and used my pens all the time

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going into hospital tomorrow for an op and and an overnight stay. Having phoned admissions this morning to confirm which ward I have to go to, in my literature I was invited as a diabetic to phone the ward to discuss any special requirements I might have. I did just that and said I take Metformin and a low carb diet, and asked would there be provision for me? The nurse on the phone said there will be salads on the menu but no specific provision for me! Salad for breakfast? Interesting. I’m taking a goodie bag with me so I don’t starve!

I've started to breathe normally again and am over the outrage!

So just to join in with the well-wishes: I wish your feet all the best!

Reactions: Serena51 and dbr10

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Useful tips from @Guzzler and all regarding how to avoid the dreaded hospital food. I will try the elephants' ears omelettes if I have to be in there! I vaguely remember ticking small portion the last time and getting one potato and a dollop of indeterminate brown stuff. Wishing you a speedy recovery, @Rachox, @Bluetit1802 too, and everyone either about to go in, already in, or recuperating.