julie131260

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Phones, eggs, metformin
Hello All

I'm a newly diagnosed Type 2, female, 57 years old. I've been on Metformin now for 8 weeks, starting on 500mg once a day for a week, then twice a day for a week, and now 500mg 3 times a day. The only side effect initially was a bit of windiness. This last week, however, I have been having bouts of severe, painful stomach cramps in my chest and abdomen. Feels like trapped wind, and that my stomach is fermenting wildly. I have a couple of Gaviscon and eventually it wears off, leaving mild discomfort and lots of gas. I was under the impression that Metformin side effects would only appear at the start of treatment. Does anyone know if it is common for side effects such as this to kick in at this stage of treatment? I have a GP appointment next week (it's New Year's Eve tonight, so no GP service for a few days) to discuss the problem.

Also, I have noticed that I have been psychologically low the past few weeks - extremely anxious, bad dreams, not coping well with life, tearful. Can Metformin be to blame for this too?

This is my first post on this forum, or any forum for that matter! Thank you for any opinions and advice you can give a worried person.:bigtears:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All

I'm a newly diagnosed Type 2, female, 57 years old. I've been on Metformin now for 8 weeks, starting on 500mg once a day for a week, then twice a day for a week, and now 500mg 3 times a day. The only side effect initially was a bit of windiness. This last week, however, I have been having bouts of severe, painful stomach cramps in my chest and abdomen. Feels like trapped wind, and that my stomach is fermenting wildly. I have a couple of Gaviscon and eventually it wears off, leaving mild discomfort and lots of gas. I was under the impression that Metformin side effects would only appear at the start of treatment. Does anyone know if it is common for side effects such as this to kick in at this stage of treatment? I have a GP appointment next week (it's New Year's Eve tonight, so no GP service for a few days) to discuss the problem.

Also, I have noticed that I have been psychologically low the past few weeks - extremely anxious, bad dreams, not coping well with life, tearful. Can Metformin be to blame for this too?

This is my first post on this forum, or any forum for that matter! Thank you for any opinions and advice you can give a worried person.:bigtears:

I'd say most people, if they're to have unwanted side-effects will experience them at a level their body doesn't like. In your case, on adding the third tablet.

For many the side-effects fade over a couple of weeks, but for others they persist, and usually the Doc will prescribe a modified release version of the tablet, which is often more tummy friendly.

Some report changes to their mood when starting new drugs, but that could also be a reaction to your diagnosis. That's usually a bit of a blow and takes a bit of getting used to.

If you are having chest pains then a quick word with 111 might put your mind at rest, but otherwise, in your shoes I'd consider whether to stick with all 3 tablets a day or whether to drop back to 2 again for a few days to let things settle before trying again or talking to the Doc when you go next week. I'm not a Doc so couldn't consider telling you what to do, I'm just explaining how my own thought process might work.

Metformin works by building up to therapeutic levels in your system over several days, so a couple of lower doses isn't likely to have any massive impact to your blood sugar levels.

Good luck with it all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was not sure if it was the Metformin or the statin which affected my brain - but yes, the symptoms you describe, both physical and mental started when I was taking the tablets.
I stopped taking them over a year ago, but the mental problems are still affecting me - I had a nightmare only a few days ago, and my memory is terrible. I was always so cheerful before, and had dreams I looked forward to.

julie131260

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Phones, eggs, metformin
I'd say most people, if they're to have unwanted side-effects will experience them at a level their body doesn't like. In your case, on adding the third tablet.

For many the side-effects fade over a couple of weeks, but for others they persist, and usually the Doc will prescribe a modified release version of the tablet, which is often more tummy friendly.

Some report changes to their mood when starting new drugs, but that could also be a reaction to your diagnosis. That's usually a bit of a blow and takes a bit of getting used to.

If you are having chest pains then a quick word with 111 might put your mind at rest, but otherwise, in your shoes I'd consider whether to stick with all 3 tablets a day or whether to drop back to 2 again for a few days to let things settle before trying again or talking to the Doc when you go next week. I'm not a Doc so couldn't consider telling you what to do, I'm just explaining how my own thought process might work.

Metformin works by building up to therapeutic levels in your system over several days, so a couple of lower doses isn't likely to have any massive impact to your blood sugar levels.

Good luck with it all.
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm trying two tablets per day for the time being, until I get more advice from the GP and, hopefully, this will sort out my griping stomach.

julie131260

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Phones, eggs, metformin
I was not sure if it was the Metformin or the statin which affected my brain - but yes, the symptoms you describe, both physical and mental started when I was taking the tablets.
I stopped taking them over a year ago, but the mental problems are still affecting me - I had a nightmare only a few days ago, and my memory is terrible. I was always so cheerful before, and had dreams I looked forward to.
Thank you very much for your reply; I'll find out more when I see the GP. I feel miserable, and I think this is having an effect on all those around me! Hope to get back on an even keel soon ...

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Best thing I ever did was to come of Statins - I now no longer have skeletal aches and pains at night, especially at the elbows and across the shoulders. Also, with Statins - bone-to-bone contact was extremely painful - now, no longer.

I am now in my first month of coming off Metformin (Glucophage in S/E Asia) - quelle surprise!! - the lady who has just started on Metformin has experienced mood changes and bad dreams - I have had a lifting of my moods, it was as if I had refreshed my mind. So there very well could be a connection!! BUT I came off because Metformin is CONTRAINDICATED for heart conditions such as CHF - Congestive Heart Failure - and the doctors do not look for this - we have to find out for ourselves.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I was on metformin on a triation but got no further than two tablets as similar symptoms to yours but mine were from the beginning with stomach cramps, sickness, loss of appetite. I was then changed to a SR one on one a day and still no appetite, stomach lurching, heart pounding so came off myself and that all stopped and now on 40mg Gliclazide a day.

bobjan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am type 1 diabetes put on metformin 4 a day. NOT TYPE 2, which it says it is for.
what to do. I was told you have type 1 on a blood test.