What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They've caught it really early, was spotted as part of a trial I am taking part in of a new laser system for treating Diabetic Retinopathy close to the macular area. For now it will just be monitored, there are treatments to slow the progression that can be considered if it worsens.
The diagnosis must have been devastating Aginoth...however you must feel mightily relieved it was spotted early and there are treatments to prevent it t progressing...good to hear that.

Reactions: Aginoth

TiggerB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@TiggerB

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here, in my signature, are the links to the Basic Information for new members and to the Low Carb Program. Ask questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.

Thanks Daisy1. I've joined the low carb programme, started it on Monday, as I'd previously read the Blood Sugar Diet book by Michael Mosley (?) and it made sense to me. I'm just trying to get to grips with everything but I'm lucky to be working in a team which includes a Pharmacist who has an interest in Diabetes. Interestingly, she uses the Diabetes UK website a lot for information :)

TiggerB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tigger it's still very early days... often the waking numbers are the last to come down...give yourself a chance...I found it was better to take things at a good steady pace...something I could sustain long term...its difficult initially...frustrated the hell out of me...now I feel reasonably comfortable with my control for the most part...you will get there...give yourself time.

Thanks Bubbsie, it was 8.1 this morning and I felt rather groggy and head-achy when I got up but I'm just assuming it's due to my body getting used to this healthier way of eating. It went down to 7.5 three hours later just before I had a very late breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Bubbsie, it was 8.1 this morning and I felt rather groggy and head-achy when I got up but I'm just assuming it's due to my body getting used to this healthier way of eating. It went down to 7.5 three hours later just before I had a very late breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs.
Tiger anything can trigger a headache...some foods ...medications...anxiety...however bringing your blood glucose levels to within target range could be the cause of your morning headaches & grogginess...your body is used to higher sugar levels...reducing those is a vast change...at the moment your levels are fluctuating...it's bound to have an effect....hopefully once your system gets used to coping with lower blood glucose levels things will settle down...but don't suffer in silence...if the headaches persist...or worsen have a word with your GP or DSN...good luck.

TiggerB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tiger anything can trigger a headache...some foods ...medications...anxiety...however bringing your blood glucose levels to within target range could be the cause of your morning headaches & grogginess...your body is used to higher sugar levels...reducing those is a vast change...at the moment your levels are fluctuating...it's bound to have an effect....hopefully once your system gets used to coping with lower blood glucose levels things will settle down...but don't suffer in silence...if the headaches persist...or worsen have a word with your GP or DSN...good luck.
Thanks, I will :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
@TiggerB

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here, in my signature, are the links to the Basic Information for new members and to the Low Carb Program. Ask questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.
@ daisy1 thank you for sending info to TiggerB. K

Reactions: Goacher55

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Been out for lunch had homemade veg soup half slice bread, paprika chicken casserole and three small portions of veg two white coffees, since coming home at 5.30 we had a small plate of cheeses 4 small crackers pickles, chutney,olives and slice ham on the bone. Then raspberries and blueberries with cream and a glass rose wine and a little diet lemonade, followed by a coffee.
My BG has not moved since 7 ish this morning it's been 6.2 all day! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
7.9 this morning. Still a little under the weather. ead Temperature is a crisp-31°c (-41°c with the windchill) my vehicle surprisingly started.
@Troubled1 just read someone's post from abroad think Canada but unsure who says cold weather can raise your BG and make them fluctuate up and down, so apart from the fact you feel under the weather it could have something to do with your BG readings! Just a thought. Hope things settle down for you soon! K
Ps I did read a post from a man in Montreal Canada name of Micheljb he's just started posting on here he has read how severe extremes of cold weather can affect your blood glucose levels and make them erratic. Check him out in forums just put his name in search at top of the page . K

Last edited:
Reactions: Goacher55

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone BG at 2-50am was 6.4 went to bed on a 6.1 BG
Checked at 7-05 BG now 6.2 I'm on the roller coaster ride again but they will now carry on dropping until my first meal of the day which will be lunchtime today has hubby and I are going out for lunch. Have a good day everyone! K
K this diabetes 'lark' is a often a mystery...woke this morning on a 5.5...just tackling some emails...then went to check my meter for my 7...14 & thirty day average...retested by mistake...meter says 6.3...just 15 minutes after the first test...what a cunning little beast it is!

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Bubbsie Not bad but low 4's and 3's leave me feeling a little bit off.
Its difficult when those numbers look great John...but leave us feeling well below par...anything you can identify for that pattern?...change of routine...different diet...more activity...sometimes there is no apparent reason for the fluctuations that occur from time to time...I'm firmly back on the LCHF regime I follow now...which usually kept me in the mid to high 4s...then Christmas arrived...ate as I wanted for a few days...managed to stay low to mid 5s despite that...now being so abstemious...but at the moment my diabetes is not co-operating ...keeping me in the 5's...maybe when the weather changes...the NHS is well funded...or there's a 'R' in the month...we'll get back to target range...get a break from this roller coaster ride:banghead:

Reactions: Aginoth and Freema