I need advice

Melpop7989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I want to become a paramedic but have had loads of people saying I can and heaps saying I can’t I would like to know the truth so I can decide what career i would do instead as Iam a type 1 diabetic and I have a pretty healthy life style any answers are appreciated

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to become a paramedic but have had loads of people saying I can and heaps saying I can’t I would like to know the truth so I can decide what career i would do instead as Iam a type 1 diabetic and I have a pretty healthy life style any answers are appreciated
I Do Not see why not. Only way to know for sure is ask at an ambulance station or hospital where they employ Paramedics

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I assume you have suitable academic qualifications?

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/ex...dic/entry-requirements-and-training-paramedic

You will also have to have outstanding blood glucose control to get the required C1 licence.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/driving-for-work-and-blue-light-services.html

From a short spell of reading it seems that you have to be able to demonstrate that you haven't had an uncontrolled hypo in the last 12 months (that is, one where you needed outside assistance). It looks like a hard push to tick all the boxes. Best to confirm that you have the right basic education and good BG control before you invest too much time.

Best of luck!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

poots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whether you can or not might depend on the laws where you live, some states and countries have different requirements. Get in touch with the program leader for it at whatever school you’re at or are considering and discuss it with them.