1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I need advice

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Melpop7989, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Melpop7989

Melpop7989 Type 1 · Member

I want to become a paramedic but have had loads of people saying I can and heaps saying I can’t I would like to know the truth so I can decide what career i would do instead as Iam a type 1 diabetic and I have a pretty healthy life style any answers are appreciated

2. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I Do Not see why not. Only way to know for sure is ask at an ambulance station or hospital where they employ Paramedics

3. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Melpop7989 ,
    There was another thread regarding this topic recently. This may be of interest to you...

Diabetes and becoming a paramedic
    Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by indiaemily, Sep 4, 2017

Best wishes in achieving your ambition.

4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I assume you have suitable academic qualifications?

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/ex...dic/entry-requirements-and-training-paramedic

You will also have to have outstanding blood glucose control to get the required C1 licence.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/driving-for-work-and-blue-light-services.html

From a short spell of reading it seems that you have to be able to demonstrate that you haven't had an uncontrolled hypo in the last 12 months (that is, one where you needed outside assistance). It looks like a hard push to tick all the boxes. Best to confirm that you have the right basic education and good BG control before you invest too much time.

Best of luck!

5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just tried to follow the link and it wouldn't.

6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

7. poots

poots Type 1 · Member

Whether you can or not might depend on the laws where you live, some states and countries have different requirements. Get in touch with the program leader for it at whatever school you’re at or are considering and discuss it with them.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook