Encouragement, constructive opinions on pre diabetic

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yeah, @Jared1 - I would absolutely say between 20 and 35g was low carb! Well done, for sure. I think you will almost certainly see a drop in your HBA1c and I look forward to hearing what you got it down to!

Journaling is a great method to get control and a better understanding of what you eat and the role of food and health, and good to read of someone getting a lot out of it too. I still keep a diabetes journal, although I have the carb level of food under wraps now after so many years of it, but am using it at the mo to detail how little walking and cycling I have to do! Yes, due to the blasted heat. My entries nowadays are very short! usually moaning about my waist height ratio and how I can't look at a carb without it storing around my middle :).

So you are on a low cal food regime as well? Wow! I don't find any relationship between low carb and low cal (ie small portions) - a big portion of 0 g of carbs is 0 g! still. The beauty of low carbing. I am not sure how you would be upping your exercise as well as having a lot less food? - we need energy after all. I couldn't, and can't, do that (a lot of activity with little food). But whatever works for you, and I suspect this is working for you very well - it's all good. The lowest HBA1c I have had was after doing a low cal regime for a couple of months, but I couldn't do a lot in that time as I get affected by hunger a lot. People are different in this way - hunger affects me keenly and I can't be active when feeling weak and low ebb, and low cal is definitely only shortish term for me - as in I cannot sustain it over time. Also low cal changes your metabolism, or can do? and for me it means it takes very little time to gain back weight lost on low cal, even on very low carb. There is some elaborate thermo something explanation for it, lol, why low cal can affect many people that way. I portion control beloved food like tropical fruit, all year round, and kuumara in the winter. (I have no desire to eat roast starchy veg in this heat!) But not food generally, when not actually fasting.

Re getting your head around the numbers - '50 Shades of Diabetes' chart on this website is fantastic. Delightfully colour coded for us to see and understand the numbers easily. Your what is now 'at diagnosis' HBA1c 49 - is orange (my 93 is brick red almost moving into deep brown). I would love to get down to a normal 37 which is lemon-green. Nice and healthy normal is a deep green at 31. As you can imagine it reflects the danger level of the blood glucose level! HBA1c measures the amount of glucose in a set amount of blood in a 3 month period, basically. The chart also lists the average blood glucose reading for that time period, as in what you read on your meter. And the chart de-confuses the American measuring system which is different, and also states the old percentage reading - ie 7.9, (which is your at diagnosis 49). (My 93 is 10.8 or some such, as in the percentage of sugar in the blood.) Many folks with diabetes on the forum still use the percentage system for HBA1c, but not in our own country, thank goodness. I consult my 50 shades a lot when defining my health goals and understanding others' readings and progress generally, not to mention reading American information and readings.
Thanks for the 50 shades refer - I checked it out definitely helps make sense of what some of the numbers people on here go about!

Yes very low cal compared to what was eating before, I just kind of think to the future for example today had carrots, guessing 10g/100 carb - if not on low cal might have twice as much then obiously would be twice the carbs. I'm guessing they would be much better carb than say the pasta or something worse like mcdonalds I would have had in the past - it was pretty common to have a big Mac combo a quater pounder and a cheese burger for dinner, some lollies biscuits or chips after that at some stage and take a bottle of fizzy to bed to drink in the night when woke up I was prob 2500 cal just for dinner /evening before!

I've found even on low carb I actully feel better - I used to struggle to stay awake in the afternoon but don't seem to now - can only put that down to better nutrition really - and now I'm used eating this way (healthy things) I feel I've kicked a sugar /carb addiction really- but I just don't even look to those things as a option now and frankly don't really miss them- don't want to risk trying to see if I do!

With exercise is actully easier than used to be - it's fair to say I'm never going to be a active out doors person but I'm feel pretty good if I get 10min exercycle after each meal and a 30-45 min fast walk with the dog most days-that's what I class as exercise (on top of running around with a toddler most days) - don't really feel hungry or lacking - my weak time is when sit down infront of tv-even then I'm only tempted to eat out of boardum not hunger - I'm really hope that the kgs don't come back to easy after the diet and was planning on increasing cal by couple hundred every month till get to a maintenance stage - by then in hope will be at a healthy weight.

Atm doc said by what I'm losing in in ketosis or something, didint say was a bad thing so I'll roll with that for now

BTW congrats on your weight loss - it's definitely no easy thing esp if the weight was a symptom not a cause! But if a pity when really love food though if have to portion control your favourite things - but hay if that's what you like is allot better than not having them at all right!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Jared1 - you are a testament to good getting-rid-of-prediabetes practice!

I wouldn't worry about the carrots though :). When it comes to burgers with blood glucose dysregulation it's the bun, and the sugar-laden sauces and sugar soaked food like the beetroot and the gherkins, not the other ingredients (meat, salad, dairy if dairy tolerant), that is the problem for us. Eat salad to your heart's content, is what I would say! And if you keep being lower carb in your life (in order to keep diabetes free) - that is going to be a big enough challenge in your diet! Ditto a pizza - it's not the ingredients on top, but the actual pizza base that has the potential to overload your poor old cells with glucose. It's not the cheese but the toast, on cheese on toast. That's how it goes.

I am really pleased you are feeling good on the low carbs (and not eating very much as well - wow!). This is good news for your future health indeed.

You are very kind about the weight loss - but I have to say that going lower-to-low carb is what does that. And I can't be sufficiently skinny to be in that lovely glowing green zone, alas. (I am confident about what I would need to do to be in the green zone due to a LOT of experimentation. But as I said, I have had lots of insulin resistance for a very long time.) I truly wish I didn't have to be super lean, as that is awfully hard, as in I haven't been able to maintain that. But that seems to be the case for me.

Your exercise regime seems super active to me! And I thought I was good, lol. The exer-cycle after meals is super duper for sure. (Good idea.)

I hear you on the sugar addiction. I talk about this with my partner, especially in the kitchen and as you say in front of the tele - a lot! :). Especially now I seem to have activated a sugar longing (and for **** food like salsa chips - my partner's favourite) from obviously too long on the Xmas food thing. I guess it's like any common garden variety addiction - be careful if you fall off the wagon! It can be mighty hard getting back on it. I do remember this being the case last post Xmas too, and am using fake sweetened food and drink to wean myself off the high carb longings. And good and yummy low-carb substitutes. But as I have written elsewhere recently in the forum about this - it does give me a healthy respect for sugar addiction. know thy enemy and all that.

And yeah, my usual anti-diabetes diet is very tasty (I am dairy tolerant - thank goodness! Cheese, and whipped cream goes a very, very long way in my normal diet.) (And I say that stevia is nothing short of a life-saver for sweet tooth me.)

What an amazing doctor you have! To know about and talk to you about ketosis? Very impressive. I love my doctor, as we have a great mutually respectful relationship, but she sure doesn't talk ketosis! Ketosis is sure not a bad thing - it's your body being in fat-burning mode and not sugar burning mode to get your energy. The physical activity providing a great pathway for the excess sugar to get into your muscles for energy and out of your blood, veins and organs. Very very good for blood glucose regulation getting better regulated.

You are inspiring me to get on my bike today, and take advantage of the cooller cloud coverage :).

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Jared1 - you are a testament to good getting-rid-of-prediabetes practice!

I wouldn't worry about the carrots though :). When it comes to burgers with blood glucose dysregulation it's the bun, and the sugar-laden sauces and sugar soaked food like the beetroot and the gherkins, not the other ingredients (meat, salad, dairy if dairy tolerant), that is the problem for us. Eat salad to your heart's content, is what I would say! And if you keep being lower carb in your life (in order to keep diabetes free) - that is going to be a big enough challenge in your diet! Ditto a pizza - it's not the ingredients on top, but the actual pizza base that has the potential to overload your poor old cells with glucose. It's not the cheese but the toast, on cheese on toast. That's how it goes.

I am really pleased you are feeling good on the low carbs (and not eating very much as well - wow!). This is good news for your future health indeed.

You are very kind about the weight loss - but I have to say that going lower-to-low carb is what does that. And I can't be sufficiently skinny to be in that lovely glowing green zone, alas. (I am confident about what I would need to do to be in the green zone due to a LOT of experimentation. But as I said, I have had lots of insulin resistance for a very long time.) I truly wish I didn't have to be super lean, as that is awfully hard, as in I haven't been able to maintain that. But that seems to be the case for me.

Your exercise regime seems super active to me! And I thought I was good, lol. The exer-cycle after meals is super duper for sure. (Good idea.)

I hear you on the sugar addiction. I talk about this with my partner, especially in the kitchen and as you say in front of the tele - a lot! :). Especially now I seem to have activated a sugar longing (and for **** food like salsa chips - my partner's favourite) from obviously too long on the Xmas food thing. I guess it's like any common garden variety addiction - be careful if you fall off the wagon! It can be mighty hard getting back on it. I do remember this being the case last post Xmas too, and am using fake sweetened food and drink to wean myself off the high carb longings. And good and yummy low-carb substitutes. But as I have written elsewhere recently in the forum about this - it does give me a healthy respect for sugar addiction. know thy enemy and all that.

And yeah, my usual anti-diabetes diet is very tasty (I am dairy tolerant - thank goodness! Cheese, and whipped cream goes a very, very long way in my normal diet.) (And I say that stevia is nothing short of a life-saver for sweet tooth me.)

What an amazing doctor you have! To know about and talk to you about ketosis? Very impressive. I love my doctor, as we have a great mutually respectful relationship, but she sure doesn't talk ketosis! Ketosis is sure not a bad thing - it's your body being in fat-burning mode and not sugar burning mode to get your energy. The physical activity providing a great pathway for the excess sugar to get into your muscles for energy and out of your blood, veins and organs. Very very good for blood glucose regulation getting better regulated.

You are inspiring me to get on my bike today, and take advantage of the cooller cloud coverage :).
Thanks for your encouragement- is a great motivator! It's funny you bring up pizza I used to love it and speaking of pizza and temptation I've attached a photo that I took in my front garden- guess what I can smell every time I open the windows or doors!!
fd9ae7d0ca2cfd296e4fdbc3e8500081.jpg

The doctor is great really - although sometimes I'm a bit iffy about their advice they definitely keep on top of me - she makes me keep a food diary and come in every week (for free as follow up with either gp or nurse) to basicly check my progress- check exercise and diet and kick my ass if not sticking to the program- been doing that 5 weeks now and must say that's prob the biggest thing is knowing that someone is checking in on you to keep you in line-makes one think twice about making bad decisions! Id say now that good practice is just a habit now though.

I hear you about addiction- sadly I've had a few bad ones (illicit) in the past- very hard to break when in it even when you know it's no good - clean for some years now just had to make the break - deal with hard times and come out the other side better off- that's how I've looked at sugar /carbs - just another harmful substance that I'm better off without basicly - once give up a addiction it's like seeing the light you couldint see before and I'm kind of finding it the same with food atm.

Yea please do get out on your bike! If I had a proper bike I would prob ride it all the time - boaring on a exercycle! So hopefully that will motivate you to use it knowing there's someone that dosint have one that would use it if did - besides its good forced exercise, at home I can just get off a exercycle any time - but with a push bike the further you go your kind of forced to ride all way back home even if don't want to lol

Reactions: Alison Campbell

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, alas, it seems life and housework (and a bit of rain) interfered with the bike plans @Jared1 ! But it was a great idea while it lasted!

I have been toying with the idea of getting an exer-cycle too, after reading about your post-meal indoor rides (which make a lot of good health sense.)

And pizza - you are not alone in that lure. Love the pic! (And the pic of you and young one.) (I keep meaning to replace my tin for a lovely growing aloe or stevia plant! But I am currently beset with device problems.) Thankfully so shared is the love of pizza the internet is riddled with low-carb pizza recipes (as it is all about the base), and all you have to do is start experimenting till you find the one that does it for you (and your family I guess! Although I have to admit my daughter and partner eat the usual one and leave me to eat my favourite low carb version on my own.) The most popular seems to be the guy's who made the 'Fathead' doco (which has some good animation food and health sequences in it). So - the fathead pizza, or versions of it, if you want to look it up online.

Your doctor and practice story is a very nice one indeed. Gives me hope!

Reactions: Jared1

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well, alas, it seems life and housework (and a bit of rain) interfered with the bike plans @Jared1 ! But it was a great idea while it lasted!

I have been toying with the idea of getting an exer-cycle too, after reading about your post-meal indoor rides (which make a lot of good health sense.)

And pizza - you are not alone in that lure. Love the pic! (And the pic of you and young one.) (I keep meaning to replace my tin for a lovely growing aloe or stevia plant! But I am currently beset with device problems.) Thankfully so shared is the love of pizza the internet is riddled with low-carb pizza recipes (as it is all about the base), and all you have to do is start experimenting till you find the one that does it for you (and your family I guess! Although I have to admit my daughter and partner eat the usual one and leave me to eat my favourite low carb version on my own.) The most popular seems to be the guy's who made the 'Fathead' doco (which has some good animation food and health sequences in it). So - the fathead pizza, or versions of it, if you want to look it up online.

Your doctor and practice story is a very nice one indeed. Gives me hope!
@AloeSvea - so just getting back to you about results got to day - rung them first thing since been putting in so much work- so last test (think it's hba1c) was 49 and after just over a month (so still including 2 bad months really) today I'm down to 39.

Would be interesting to know what the reading for just the one month would be but guess I'll just have to wait bit longer for the longer term results.

Guess just goes to show a bit of hard work can make quite a difference in a short time.

Is quite funny the doctors actully thank me and say it's really great when they see people actully doing what they should be - guessing is a pretty hard thing for some to turn around and they generally see a decline in state of health-they still want to see me weekly for a while and I suppose they like helping people who help themselves!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Jared1 - this is GREAT news indeed. And I am not surprised of course! :).

Keep up the very good low-carbing work, and keep the dreaded insulin resistance at bay!

(Sorry I haven't been in here for ages - was out and about on the road, with a sick laptop. Gratefully having respite from the heatwave back at home, and my laptop is back, happy and well. Yay!)

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@AloeSvea - yes the heat has been horrible I don't deal with it well especially at nights fan on Windows open still rolling around not getting good sleep so I'm glad it's a bit more bareable temp now!

Yea you been gone ages! Wondered were you gone!

And yup still keeping it up every day here - it's kind of just the way things are now not so much of a mission.

Count every carb now - has about 2 days that I've got up to 40 something g but in general I'm well under 25 a day.

Not weighed self for about 2 weeks and last time was right on 88 so got to be less than that - pretty happy since in December was over 100!

Like I say I don't see progress as a excuse to slip any- it's just a new way of how I roll now don't even think would want to go back to way was - call it enlightenment or something lol

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, it is great to be home and with my laptop working, yet again. And it is nice and cool today with breezes and rain - whew.

Enlightenment sounds wonderful!

I haven't regained the weight I lost at the beginning of my post-diagnosis regime (about 15-20kg), due to low-carbing. Just to give you a thumbs up on the likelihood of you keeping yours off! Just some fluctuations during experimentations, trying to get out of the insulin resistant/intermediate hyperglycemia zone altogether. I'm one of these people who could probably kick the hyperglycemia - if only I could be as skinny as I was in my youth! And that is very very hard for me to be that skinny. As in - I have not been able to get lean enough and keep it off. And I have sure tried. So here I am at intermediate hyperglycemia level, a stuck gauge sitting in the prediabetes zone, as it were.

I keep an eye on, not my weight, but my waist circumference, and use the height-waist ratio as the number to really be my red flag on insulin resistance. I believe I have a very insulin resistant liver due to data from experimentations and BG meter readings. So it makes sense for me to watch the fat on my middle, and therefore those key organs re T2D so closely. I sit just under the danger zone, at .47-.49 (the boundary is .50 of which anything on or above that indicates danger especially for carbohydrate intolerant/insulin resistant folk). The good thing, and the sad thing, is after, for me, four plus years with diabetes and prediabetes, I have such a close relationship with how my blood glucose regulation works! (or more to the point - doesn't work.) Ah dear. Sigh. And all that.

But still, very very lovely to read of quick success stories like yours. And, I imagine, your blood glucose regulation will only get better as you go the low-carb 'lifestyle'. And, again, it is very happy news to read of your very supportive medical professionals/doctor.