Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi everyone

The question in the title of the topic
Why Some People Get Diabetes While Some Do not ?
Why ? Why ? Why ?

Certainly not a question of luck
Some people should not understand that I want to get everyone

But a question

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi everyone

Why ? Why ? Why ?

But a question
I thought this through all bar 11 months of my childhood, my adolescence and beyond! I was the middle of 3 children: brother born Feb 1957, me Aug 1958 and sister Dec 1959 - quite a production line! I was nearly killed by Type 1 in July 1959 and again in Aug 1966. Naturally I was very irritated when told God is all loving etc, especially as nobody else in the family had it, nor, as far as we know had had it in the previous generation. Why me? Over the years, thanks to Gian Franco Bottazzo (died recently in 2017) who linked Diabetes to an auto-immune condition in the 1970's, I can accept that mine is another manifestation found in auto-immune problems on both sides of my family. My mother's mother had rheumatoid arthritis for at least 20 years: my father had chronic asthma and hay fever; my sister in the last five years has had rheumatoid arthritis and my daughter is celiac. For many years doctors insisted my diabetes was inherited until Dr Soo-Mi Park, at Addenbrooke's Hospital Cambridge, concluded that diabetes was not traceable in my family. But I did inherit an over excited immune system! You have my full support - best of luck

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To do with fat-storage pathways, insulin response, body type.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I thought this through all bar 11 months of my childhood, my adolescence and beyond! I was the middle of 3 children: brother born Feb 1957, me Aug 1958 and sister Dec 1959 - quite a production line! I was nearly killed by Type 1 in July 1959 and again in Aug 1966. Naturally I was very irritated when told God is all loving etc, especially as nobody else in the family had it, nor, as far as we know had had it in the previous generation. Why me? Over the years, thanks to Gian Franco Bottazzo (died recently in 2017) who linked Diabetes to an auto-immune condition in the 1970's, I can accept that mine is another manifestation found in auto-immune problems on both sides of my family. My mother's mother had rheumatoid arthritis for at least 20 years: my father had chronic asthma and hay fever; my sister in the last five years has had rheumatoid arthritis and my daughter is celiac. For many years doctors insisted my diabetes was inherited until Dr Soo-Mi Park, at Addenbrooke's Hospital Cambridge, concluded that diabetes was not traceable in my family. But I did inherit an over excited immune system! You have my full support - best of luck
My father and mother were diabetic at the end of their lives, although my father never acknowledged it
We Muslims say that this is a test from God
Anyway thank you for this information

Quran
( He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving;-)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think there are a lot of variables at play as to why some do and some don't, we don't all get here on the same bus so to speak.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Current thinking is that the chances of there being a genetic pre disposition of developing T2 is high.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
One my friend told me yesterday that by chance he did analyzes and was a lightning bolt Hba1c 12.30 BG 275mg/dl. Knowing that he is working on construction and this is a tired work.and His parents were safe

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Why ? Why ? Why ?

But a question

I think the answer is different depending on the type of diabetes. I'll assume you mean Type 2 from your avatar.

I'd say it's a combination of factors which increase risk.

Genetics, luck (though the luck element is mainly covered by the genetic element), and lifestyle.

On one end of the scale, there may be people who are genetically unlikely to become Type 2, but if they live a certain type of lifestyle the may manage to induce it.

On the other end of the scale, there will be people who, no matter what efforts they go to to avoid it with lifestyle habits, will not be able to avoid it.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
If we assume that inheritance has a role in this

The last children are more concerned with heredity than the first children
This is what happened with my older brothers in good health and I mean the men here
They also do sports
d0641d3c11b99dd791c44f079627a228.jpg

Last edited:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone

Why ? Why ? Why ?

But a question

That's a really interesting question. I don't have diabetes but my doctor sent me for blood tests several times and it's now obvious that he was expecting a T2 diagnosis because I'm 5'1", was close to 110kg and sedentary. My word, but I was sedentary - sat in front of the telly drinking beer and eating carb-laden rubbish all day. It would've been helpful if doc had explained his concerns and advised a better diet, even if it was the Eatwell! I was dumb and didn't even ask what the blood tests were for since I've always been reasonably healthy though always overweight.

I agree with @Guzzler. - I strongly suspect that genetic factors are very powerful though there could be, as yet, unexplained reasons. Insulin resistance is a huge problem and as I've lost weight (6 stone) on the ketogenic then LCHF diets, I believe my IR has improved substantially because of massive reduction in visceral fat. My liver and pancreas are working better, it seems.

LCHF is now my diet of choice for always. It works for me and is SO easy to stick to.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoever figures it out will get a Nobel Prize for sure. Actually two Nobels, at separate times and to separate people, since there seems to be nothing in common between the causation of Type 1 and Type 2.

My doctor said: "You had a healthy diet and were not overweight, so who knows, it could well be genetic."

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoever figures it out will get a Nobel Prize for sure. Actually two Nobels, at separate times and to separate people, since there seems to be nothing in common between the causation of Type 1 and Type 2.

My doctor said: "You had a healthy diet and were not overweight, so who knows, it could well be genetic."

You have been missing for a while. Kidnapped?? ;)

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

Welcome, O Great Teacher
Genetics I do not think there is anything to confirm this 100%

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have been missing for a while. Kidnapped?? ;)

Thank you for asking. Away for 10 days over the Xmas period, and since then, insanely busy with work. Less time to think about diabetes (which may be a good thing!). Diet same as before, but less sleep, more stress and less exercise (the latter due mainly to awful weather here in northeastern USA).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for asking. Away for 10 days over the Xmas period, and since then, insanely busy with work. Less time to think about diabetes (which may be a good thing!). Diet same as before, but less sleep, more stress and less exercise (the latter due mainly to awful weather here in northeastern USA).

"insanely busy with work" for a self employed person is good. :) Glad you are OK.