Dexcom users advice please!

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys just after some advice. Currently use Dexcom G4 linked to Animas Vibe and noted that whilst sensor is waterproof the pump fails to get a signal after a short time when submerged in water whist I bathe. Do you know of any recommended patches that would keep the sensor dry? Reason I'm asking is that will be going to Jamaica in March and temp will be in late 20's and plan to be swimming etc and really need my pump to get a continual signal as no doubt will need to adjust basal rates because of heat. Advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys just after some advice. Currently use Dexcom G4 linked to Animas Vibe and noted that whilst sensor is waterproof the pump fails to get a signal after a short time when submerged in water whist I bathe. Do you know of any recommended patches that would keep the sensor dry? Reason I'm asking is that will be going to Jamaica in March and temp will be in late 20's and plan to be swimming etc and really need my pump to get a continual signal as no doubt will need to adjust basal rates because of heat. Advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

From the very little I remember from secondary school physics, radio waves have difficulty travelling through water, so it might be that, rather than any issue of keeping things dry? Sensor transmitter is still transmitting but water stops it from getting to the pump, maybe?

Reactions: Struma

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the very little I remember from secondary school physics, radio waves have difficulty travelling through water, so it might be that, rather than any issue of keeping things dry? Sensor transmitter is still transmitting but water stops it from getting to the pump, maybe?
Cheers for that actually thought of that but then sensor appears to stop transmitting after about 4 to 5 minutes and seems to start again after a few minutes of me patting the transmitter dry after getting out of bath hence me thinking it may be an issue of the contacts getting wet.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Two issues with being underwater:-
  • first is the range of the G4 radio waves are impacted, becoming much shorter.
  • second is when the G4 sensor/transmitter is fully soaked it can interfere with the transmission until it drains out.
You cannot do anything about the first one - laws of physics, other than try not to keep the transmitter underwater all the time - remembering it only reads every 5 mins. As soon as its out of the water it should recover within 5 mins (but see two below).

You can do something about the second one - keep it dry, fix it on your arm maybe and keep it out of the water, after your bath remove the transmitter from the sensor and dry it ?, take a shower instead......

I shower rather than bath, my sensor is always on my arm. I do go snorkeling and have not had any issues, carry my receiver (when G4) or my phone (on G5) in a dry case with me and seems to work fine.

I have twice in last five years had what seemed to be water issues from a shower, on one I removed sensor and dried it, on second I used a hair dryer without removing sensor. On both occasions it seemed to work.

D

Deleted Account

Not a direct answer to your question (in fact not an answer at all ... just related).

Although it is waterproof, I tend not to wear my Animas Vibe in water as the tube gets in the way and I don't want to be catching it whilst I am swimming.
If I am going to be submerged more than 30 minutes, I give myself a bolus equivalent to half an hour of basal and take my pump off. Then I reattached every hour, do any hour basal/bolus and test that everything is going fine.

Sorry, doesn't help with your Dexcom question.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a direct answer to your question (in fact not an answer at all ... just related).

Although it is waterproof, I tend not to wear my Animas Vibe in water as the tube gets in the way and I don't want to be catching it whilst I am swimming.
If I am going to be submerged more than 30 minutes, I give myself a bolus equivalent to half an hour of basal and take my pump off. Then I reattached every hour, do any hour basal/bolus and test that everything is going fine.

I do the same with my Insight pump too :)

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for the suggestion may try that one