I’m going back to my old ways[emoji17]

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With school stress and things going on at home. It’s all impacting my diabetes really I can’t sleep at night I’m feeling really upset and down too. I’ve made the worse choice and started drinking coke againI really wish I didn’t do it. I’m bolusing for everything I have including the coke and I’m getting pretty good results but I really want too tell my doctor however I don’t want my mum to know. What do I do?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In my opinion, stay honest. Don't lie to yourself or anyone. Look for alternative solutions. Use Stevia or xylitol as a sweetner. Both are better than any big market soda. I buy sparkling water and add organic vanilla extract and organic stevia to make my organic soda. It tastes good and I enjoy it. You should try it too.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diet soft drinks! I have them occasionally (no more than about 200ml a day), I can't taste the difference.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @diabeticmegxo Big hug hun, I know it's not easy when everything starts piling in on top of your diabetes. Do you have anyone close to home you can talk to ? If you can talk to someone it will help offload your thoughts and anxieties, bottling it up is going to affect your sleep and of course your diabetes. You are probably drinking coke as you're so tired, however as you know it's a hypo treatment and so the effects of drinking it are going to impact on your blood glucose control. I know you've said your still getting good results, but it's a difficult drink to manage with type 1 and the subsequent blood glucose management so still needs to be avoided at all costs if possible. Can you look at another way of venting your feelings, I personally get my trainers on and go for a run now or get the bike out, even if it's a walk, breathing and taking in some fresh air can help calm your mind and relax you. Happy to chat on PM if you don't want to vent your feelings here, take care and let us know how you are :)

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
With school stress and things going on at home. It’s all impacting my diabetes really I can’t sleep at night I’m feeling really upset and down too. I’ve made the worse choice and started drinking coke againI really wish I didn’t do it. I’m bolusing for everything I have including the coke and I’m getting pretty good results but I really want too tell my doctor however I don’t want my mum to know. What do I do?

Hi I'm type 2 but I know what you mean when you say you're drinking coke again. I've done it. If you find you can't stop at the moment switch to diet coke and then try to drink less of that until you can stop again. You did it before so you know you can do it. Hugs and more hugs x

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try finding some good sweet but low carb drinks, i love a hot chocolate recipe that uses boiled water, cocoa powder, sweetner and cream. It only has around 3g and it tastes really good too!

leahkian

Hello Meg i see you are going through a difficult time again, as you have been told it is no good keeping your feelings locked away. If you are on a pump i assume you have a diabetic nurse who you can contact if you are worried, if you have why don't you give here a call and explain what you are going through and ask for advice. If the problems at home are something that you do not want your DNS calling home then ask her not to. She maybe able to help you and as you no stress and worry all effect BS so this needs sorting out. With the stress at school have you not got a teacher who you like and can explain what is happening, i found a teacher when my parents split up the day before i started my final exams and he was a great help. As for the coke you no that it is not good for you but you may be using it to give you energy or as a comfort to help with the stress and Meg you are still new to the diabetes and most of us do things we regret so give yourself a break. You have made the first step by telling people which tells me you want to get it sorted, when you go to the shop to get coke try and pick the diet one up as i no how tempting it may be to get full sugar. In my time as a diabetic the time i found most hard was from the age of 14-25 as your body changes, life changes, you can go out drinking and clubbing and maybe meet someone you like. You can find your head spinning around and going through different thoughts which can effect your sleep, i hope you keep talking as i did not and was very close to being admitted to a mental health ward. You will find that you will have moments in your life like this with diabetes but you have already had a couple and got through them that is because you are strong but we all need a little help now and again. Keep posting and i hope you feel better soon

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion, stay honest. Don't lie to yourself or anyone. Look for alternative solutions. Use Stevia or xylitol as a sweetner. Both are better than any big market soda. I buy sparkling water and add organic vanilla extract and organic stevia to make my organic soda. It tastes good and I enjoy it. You should try it too.

Thank you!

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @diabeticmegxo Big hug hun, I know it's not easy when everything starts piling in on top of your diabetes. Do you have anyone close to home you can talk to ? If you can talk to someone it will help offload your thoughts and anxieties, bottling it up is going to affect your sleep and of course your diabetes. You are probably drinking coke as you're so tired, however as you know it's a hypo treatment and so the effects of drinking it are going to impact on your blood glucose control. I know you've said your still getting good results, but it's a difficult drink to manage with type 1 and the subsequent blood glucose management so still needs to be avoided at all costs if possible. Can you look at another way of venting your feelings, I personally get my trainers on and go for a run now or get the bike out, even if it's a walk, breathing and taking in some fresh air can help calm your mind and relax you. Happy to chat on PM if you don't want to vent your feelings here, take care and let us know how you are :)

Thank you so much!

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm type 2 but I know what you mean when you say you're drinking coke again. I've done it. If you find you can't stop at the moment switch to diet coke and then try to drink less of that until you can stop again. You did it before so you know you can do it. Hugs and more hugs x

Thank you! x

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Meg i see you are going through a difficult time again, as you have been told it is no good keeping your feelings locked away. If you are on a pump i assume you have a diabetic nurse who you can contact if you are worried, if you have why don't you give here a call and explain what you are going through and ask for advice. If the problems at home are something that you do not want your DNS calling home then ask her not to. She maybe able to help you and as you no stress and worry all effect BS so this needs sorting out. With the stress at school have you not got a teacher who you like and can explain what is happening, i found a teacher when my parents split up the day before i started my final exams and he was a great help. As for the coke you no that it is not good for you but you may be using it to give you energy or as a comfort to help with the stress and Meg you are still new to the diabetes and most of us do things we regret so give yourself a break. You have made the first step by telling people which tells me you want to get it sorted, when you go to the shop to get coke try and pick the diet one up as i no how tempting it may be to get full sugar. In my time as a diabetic the time i found most hard was from the age of 14-25 as your body changes, life changes, you can go out drinking and clubbing and maybe meet someone you like. You can find your head spinning around and going through different thoughts which can effect your sleep, i hope you keep talking as i did not and was very close to being admitted to a mental health ward. You will find that you will have moments in your life like this with diabetes but you have already had a couple and got through them that is because you are strong but we all need a little help now and again. Keep posting and i hope you feel better soon

Thankyou! I have a nurse who I can really trust I’m gonna talk to her in my appointment and I have an amazing teacher who I really trust. It has been harder with the coke since my teens I turned 15 yesterday too so I know I’m going to be out with friends and I’ll have to be the odd one. But it’s for the best. Thank you so much for your help x

Reactions: Juicyj

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you had a good birthday and you know there are always people who will try to help you when you hit a rough patch but you can only do your best.

I did thank you. Things are getting better but had a bit of an off day with bloods today

leahkian

You will learn with time and not everyday will you get the BS you want but as time goes by you will become aware of what different foods and drinks do to your blood but every now and again you need a little treat and i am sure won't mind you having one.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you've tried Coke Zero?

I used to drink that anyway, just for general health. It's not as ****** as normal diet coke. It actually tastes like coke. Some places are starting to have it.

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will learn with time and not everyday will you get the BS you want but as time goes by you will become aware of what different foods and drinks do to your blood but every now and again you need a little treat and i am sure won't mind you having one.

Thank you for your help! x

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you've tried Coke Zero?

I used to drink that anyway, just for general health. It's not as ****** as normal diet coke. It actually tastes like coke. Some places are starting to have it.

I have tried it a lot of shops by me sell it too my mum always has it in the house

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just let her know.. She shouldn't be too mad.