Casserole dish not for oven?

Hampshire_Lad

Hi,
I went to lakeland today as have found a great low carb lamb stew that I wanted to batch cook in a casserole dish.
So I bought the hairy bikets marbe effect casserole dish for £25. link here

I've just gone to use it and it has a steam vent in it;s lid. I checked online and this means it can only be used on a hob. It didnt say this at all on the box.

This may sound very ignorant but I thought casserole dishes were for ovens? I now face a 25 mile trip back to get a refund as the dish is huge and way to big for any of my hob rings.

Last edited:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I went to lakeland today as have found a great low carb lamb stew that I wanted to batch cook in a casserole dish.

I've just gone to use it and it has a steam vent in it;s lid. I checked online and this means it can only be used on a hob. It didnt say this at all on the box.

This may sound very ignorant but I thought casserole dishes were for ovens? I now face a 25 mile trip back to get a refund as the dish is huge and way to big for any of my hob rings.

That’s a lot of money for a pot but don’t worry, you can still use it on a ring. Have a look at slow cookers and see what you think, they are a godsend for batch cooking and far cheaper than turning the oven on.

Reactions: Mark_1

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I must be as ignorant as you, Hampshire_Lad because I would associate a casserole dish with the oven; for the hob I would look for a stewpot, or similar. We live and learn (or maybe the Hasiry Bikers are seeking to change the world!! :eek:)

I agree with wiflib, that when you return it to the shop (if you decide to do that), it might be a good idea for you to look at slow cookers instead. They can be very versatile, and you don't have to stay in to watch over them. Just bung all your ingredients inside, switch on and they can be left for the whole day, if needed. You can go to work, out shopping, in the garden, anything you like - and when you get home your dinner is there - cooked, ready and waiting! Can be a godsend for busy people.

Reactions: Mark_1

Hampshire_Lad

Hi, thanks for your replies
I'll take it back as advised and look at slow cookers. The idea of a hot meal waiting for me at home with little or no washing up sounds very appealing :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for your replies
I'll take it back as advised and look at slow cookers. The idea of a hot meal waiting for me at home with little or no washing up sounds very appealing :)
Under the lakeland guarantee, if you contact them, and explain the problem and that you are 25 miles away, they may send you a return label so you can post it instead.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

PS I cant find it on the Lakeland site, but its a stew pot, not a casserole dish.