Type 1 Tattoos

Didi61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been a T1D for 10 years and my scars don’t heal very well. I was wondering with those of you who have tattoos, did the healing take a longer time?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've had about 6 tattoos since being diabetic and they've all healed in the normal time expected.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My diabetic consultant at the clinic I attend once a year and will say was the best Dr i've met in 43 yrs of diabetes said he was retiring because he thought the medical profession was being snowed under with paperwork which was not what he was trained to do, He then pointed to all the leaflets around his office regarding diabetes pointing out one in particular "Tattoos and diabetes" I said did diabetes make any difference he replied while shaking his head "not in the slightest they've gone mad what a waste of money," That was six years ago and I haven't seen him since and have to say I agree what a waste of NHS money.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A well controlled T1 should have no problems with being tattooed.
One consideration is other medication than insulin. As a T1 I also take aspirin daily as do a lot of diabetics, this can lead to problems whilst having a tattoo, especially a large tattoo. Aspirin thins the blood thus increasing the bleed time which could be problematic whilst having a tattoo. Prior to my last tattoo I stopped taking aspirin 7 days before tattoo date in order to assist my blood clotting/ healing abilities. Making changes to medication is something that should only be undertaken with advice from relevant sources. GP's DSN's etc.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Didi61 ,

I've got a tattoo & never had a problem with normal cuts healing either..
One should always use a reputable tattooist. & following the general tattoo "after care" while it heals, there should be no problem...

Didi61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A well controlled T1 should have no problems with being tattooed.
One consideration is other medication than insulin. As a T1 I also take aspirin daily as do a lot of diabetics, this can lead to problems whilst having a tattoo, especially a large tattoo. Aspirin thins the blood thus increasing the bleed time which could be problematic whilst having a tattoo. Prior to my last tattoo I stopped taking aspirin 7 days before tattoo date in order to assist my blood clotting/ healing abilities. Making changes to medication is something that should only be undertaken with advice from relevant sources. GP's DSN's etc.

Therower thanksnfor your reply. How long after the tattoo did you resume the aspirin?

Didi61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Didi61 ,

I've got a tattoo & never had a problem with normal cuts healing either..
One should always use a reputable tattooist. & following the general tattoo "after care" while it heals, there should be no problem...

@Jaylee I am thinking of getting one but a little worried about the healing because my cuts and wounds don’t heal very well. The scarring I get after is quite bad.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Therower thanksnfor your reply. How long after the tattoo did you resume the aspirin?
Hi.
Started back on aspirin the next day.
Apparently it can take at least 4 to 5 days for the aspirin to completely leave your blood system, hence me stopping 7 days prior.
Good luck with your tattoo ( s ).

Didi61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.
Started back on aspirin the next day.
Apparently it can take at least 4 to 5 days for the aspirin to completely leave your blood system, hence me stopping 7 days prior.
Good luck with your tattoo ( s ).

Thank you :)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I was advised to “keep your blood sugar up”, before having a longish and ticklish rib piece done in Dec 2015. I drank orange juice and ate chocolate before and after. A few weeks after I was diagnosed with T2. So there you have it. Tattoos give you diabetes.;)
(Oh, and it healed quickly and unscabbed).

jooleecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hot weather, hot weather, hot weather
I have two, and they healed fine, but then I do have good luck healing without scars. Tattoos normally take about three weeks to heal fully if I strictly follow aftercare instructions. I recommend using H2Ocean for tattoo and piercing aftercare; it reduced pain and inflammation and seemed to speed healing for my 2nd tattoo. If it were me, I think I'd go for a small, simple one the first time and make sure there aren't scars that distort the image. Sounds like diabetes shouldn't affect it, but your normal healing and scarring may. But a tattoo isn't exactly like a cut that opens and bleeds - it's more like a scratch in terms of the actual wound and scab created. Or rather, a lot of scratches. So if you follow the aftercare rules and are very careful to let it take its sweet time to heal, I'm guessing it'll be fine. Let us know what you decide and how it goes if you get one, okay? Out of curiosity, what design are you thinking of?