Feeling positive

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed this week with type 2. I was alerted by a nutritionist I went to see for weight loss advice who did a finger prick test. After visiting this site and reading the advice on low carb, plus reading the Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley, I reduced my carbs to under 100g a day - usually 50-60g - I've also upped my protein and fat and am eating a lot more eggs and fish and raw vegetables (I am mainly veggie but will eat a small amount of fish).

Spoke to my GP and he ordered blood tests - my first hba1c result, taken 2 weeks after starting new diet, was 72 then a repeat test taken 2 weeks after that to confirm diagnosis was down to 62 - I was relieved it was starting to go in the right direction already. In this time I have also lost a stone - at least a couple more to go!

I was immediately referred to see a diabetes nurse - having read a few horror stories on here and my previous experience 15 years ago of seeing a dietician for gestational diabetes I was very worried I'd be told off for upping fat and lowering carbs and would be put straight on medication, something I personally am reluctant to do at this stage.

However the nurse was fantastic, wanted to know how I'd changed my diet, nodded away at what I told her, told me the new hba1c result was no mean feat and she was happy for me to continue treating with diet and exercise for the next 3 months, when they would test again. She said things are changing, they are realising many conditions can be reversed through diet and lifestyle and to keep up what I was doing, but medication was there if I felt I needed it in the future. She gave me some great extra advice and was all round a breath of fresh air!

I have ordered a meter as have been doing this 'blind' so far, but must tell you that the inspirational success stories on here have really helped me to keep going and get over the initial shock of diagnosis. Thank you!

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you’ve clearly made a brilliant inroad to reducing already and your meter will help educate you so that you can decide what you can eat. Some people can eat some moderate carb veggies others can’t - I had great fun experimenting and finding I could eat certain substitute foods so not too big a shock for example celeriac as a replacement for potatoes it can be mashed or roast and I think is the most similar to potatoes and explore cuisine bean pasta as a pasta replacement both these don’t personally impact on my blood sugars - to name just a few!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you’ve clearly made a brilliant inroad to reducing already and your meter will help educate you so that you can decide what you can eat. Some people can eat some moderate carb veggies others can’t - I had great fun experimenting and finding I could eat certain substitute foods so not too big a shock for example celeriac as a replacement for potatoes it can be mashed or roast and I think is the most similar to potatoes and explore cuisine bean pasta as a pasta replacement both these don’t personally impact on my blood sugars - to name just a few!
Thanks for these great suggestions, I have never tried celeriac or the bean pasta before, will get some and try them out!

Reactions: shelley262

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done so far, and great to see you have ordered a meter. Using that to test out meals and food stuff will help enormously (alongside a detailed food diary). Next test in 3 months should show a massive drop. :)

Well done also to your nurse - she is worth sticking like glue to. They are far and few between.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done so far, and great to see you have ordered a meter. Using that to test out meals and food stuff will help enormously (alongside a detailed food diary). Next test in 3 months should show a massive drop. :)

Well done also to your nurse - she is worth sticking like glue to. They are far and few between.
Thank you - I'm hoping the meter will help reassure me what is best to eat and how best to go forward, when I first found out about this I was so scared for a while to eat anything!

I have already vowed that if my nurse isn't available for a future appt, I'll wait until she is!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - I'm hoping the meter will help reassure me what is best to eat and how best to go forward, when I first found out about this I was so scared for a while to eat anything!

I have already vowed that if my nurse isn't available for a future appt, I'll wait until she is!

I love your user name by the way. :)

Reactions: eggs11