ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was warned that a fast weight loss can cause gallstones and sure enough I had to have my gallbladder out. It is a really painful condition and the surgery isn't a picnic either. I had a lot of stones which then caused pancreatitis. I wish I'd never had the gastric band which has caused on going problems. I was ill with a gastric bug at the beginning of the week which I think must have caused the area of the stomach where the band is to swell and even though the bug has gone I'm still vomiting when I eat anything
I feel for you @deb1960 . You're in between a rock and a hard place.
Even getting the money to pay for its removal won't stop the diabetes. However the removal done at the right time (when you can do a good low carb programme which works brilliantly)might help. Could you do low carb for life?
Low carbing is a fantastic tool for type2 diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In the ideal world bariatric surgery would refuse carbs when eaten and limit to just good fats but robotic stomachs haven't been invented yet! ;)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I really appreciate the input.

Some awesome points have been made.

I’ve spoken with a consultant re: the bypass surgery, and he confirmed that bypass has by far the most positive effect on T2D, and that the improvement happens practically overnight and so is NOT a result of weight loss.

I only just scrape through on eligibility with a bmi of 30.1 - but the (private) hospital IS willing to operate on me if I self fund.

Cost is around £11k. Not a huge amount of it means avoiding diabetic complications in the future.

A lot has changed for me since I was last around here - I now have 2 beautiful daughters (4 & 2 years old), and I want to give them the best version of me as possible.

Because, the version of me that has been T2 for half of my 40 year life just won’t cut it. Those years of T2 have taken their toll, and I’m ready to attack it now with all force.

Can’t wait to get some energy back.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I really appreciate the input.

Some awesome points have been made.

I’ve spoken with a consultant re: the bypass surgery, and he confirmed that bypass has by far the most positive effect on T2D, and that the improvement happens practically overnight and so is NOT a result of weight loss.

I only just scrape through on eligibility with a bmi of 30.1 - but the (private) hospital IS willing to operate on me if I self fund.

Cost is around £11k. Not a huge amount of it means avoiding diabetic complications in the future.

A lot has changed for me since I was last around here - I now have 2 beautiful daughters (4 & 2 years old), and I want to give them the best version of me as possible.

Because, the version of me that has been T2 for half of my 40 year life just won’t cut it. Those years of T2 have taken their toll, and I’m ready to attack it now with all force.

Can’t wait to get some energy back.

I am glad that you are now comfortable and happy with your decision. Making a decision is the hardest part of any problem, once made then you can move forward. I wish you a speedy outcome and look forward to hearing of your experiences. Good luck.

Reactions: Patch