Caught a spike!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I thought I was doing pretty well with my 2 hour after meal readings - then decided to take @Bluetit1802's advice and test 1 hour after eating as well - just did 1 hour after admittedly a deliberately higher carb meal - homemade lentil soup - as I wanted to see if I could manage it. I panic ate a zero carb soya yogurt afterwards to add more protein.

I was 4.8 before the meal and 9.6 one hour after starting the meal - hoping it falls down by 2 hours, but that's a real spike isn't it?

Pity I made 6 portions and now have 5 left!

Update - sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place - I don't use insulin, diet control only atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a spike. However, wait and see what happens at 2 hours, and again at 2.5 hours and even 3 hours.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And if it tasted very yummy you could still divide the portions in 3 and have a wonderful starter for 15 very low carb meals!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that's a real spike isn't it?
It is in the sense that you spiked at one hour. However, its the two hour figure which counts. Even my non-diabetic partner and son can spike at one hour after carbs. Thats why the two hour figure is the bench mark.

Reactions: eggs11

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @lucylocket61 that's good to know. It's 8 after 2 hours, which I believe is a little outside what it should be, will test again in another hour before bed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @lucylocket61 that's good to know. It's 8 after 2 hours, which I believe is a little outside what it should be, will test again in another hour before bed.

At least it is coming down, but you need a good think about whether to repeat the soup or not. Maybe a much smaller portion?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least it is coming down, but you need a good think about whether to repeat the soup or not. Maybe a much smaller portion?
Just tested again after 3 hours - 6.6, other lower carb meals have got to that level after only 2 hours.
Think I will try a half portion with a salad to start with later in the week and see if that's ok - if not it's going in the bin, but it's certainly been an eye-opener - glad I'm testing.

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tested again after 3 hours - 6.6 other lower carb meals have got to that level after only 2 hours.
Think I will try a half portion with a salad to start with later in the week and see if that's ok - if not it's going in the bin, but it's certainly been an eye-opener - glad I'm testing.

Trial and error, trial and error. This is why we test, and you have learnt something today. :)

By the way, was there a lot of fat in your yogurt? That could have interfered with things as fat will have slowed things down. It keeps spikes lower but makes the rise last longer.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trial and error, trial and error. This is why we test, and you have learnt something today. :)

By the way, was there a lot of fat in your yogurt? That could have interfered with things as fat will have slowed things down. It keeps spikes lower but makes the rise last longer.
The yogurt had 7.5g of fat in it and 12g of protein.

Best readings I've had so far has been when the meal has been basically veg + protein - so that's what I'll be sticking to generally!

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
The yogurt had 7.5g of fat in it and 12g of protein.

Best readings I've had so far has been when the meal has been basically veg + protein - so that's what I'll be sticking to generally!
I was diagnosed only in November. Although I've lost 10% of my weight and exercised a lot, my BG has only just begun to fall and I still get spikes if I eat too many carbs. I'm learning not to panic if things don't go to plan. Just use the meter and realise it is a marathon we are on, not a sprint.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed only in November. Although I've lost 10% of my weight and exercised a lot, my BG has only just begun to fall and I still get spikes if I eat too many carbs. I'm learning not to panic if things don't go to plan. Just use the meter and realise it is a marathon we are on, not a sprint.
Thanks @Dexterdobe good advice - early days still.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It is in the sense that you spiked at one hour. However, its the two hour figure which counts. Even my non-diabetic partner and son can spike at one hour after carbs. Thats why the two hour figure is the bench mark.
I sincerely hope your right as I just went from 6.3 to 10.4 an hour after dinner will test again at the two hour mark this was I must admit in part a deliberate test to see how far I can stress my system and how long it will take to recover as this thread got me wondering.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sincerely hope your right as I just went from 6.3 to 10.4 an hour after dinner will test again at the two hour mark this was I must admit in part a deliberate test to see how far I can stress my system and how long it will take to recover as this thread got me wondering.
I am quoting what happened to my son and husband. You may still spike after 2 hours. You know this. I didnt say the OP wouldnt spike, I said that the one hour figure is not definitive and a test after two hours is the definitive one to use to make decisions food.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I know that lucylocket61 I just got to wondering if I could deal with a high carb load and still come back down within the two hours and the answer is of course as I should have known a resounding no still at 9.9 two hours after the meal or carb fest should I call it. My wife and daughter backed out and wouldn't test we all had the same meal.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that lucylocket61 I just got to wondering if I could deal with a high carb load and still come back down within the two hours and the answer is of course as I should have known a resounding no still at 9.9 two hours after the meal or carb fest should I call it. My wife and daughter backed out and wouldn't test we all had the same meal.
I sometimes have an attack of optimism. I know now that if I am 9.5 or above after an hour, it isnt going to come down my 1 hour later : (

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes it's difficult dealing with reality at times any way three hours and it's 7.7 now, I think I will not be doing that again any time soon. :(

Remission is obviously not cure at least not in my case.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen How long have you been in remission? Was weight loss part of the way you achieved it?

I ask as I have a couple more stone to lose and am wondering if my insulin sensitivity will improve the more I lose, or whether I'll always be very intolerant to carbs. I know we are all different but it's interesting to hear of other's experiences.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen How long have you been in remission? Was weight loss part of the way you achieved it?

I ask as I have a couple more stone to lose and am wondering if my insulin sensitivity will improve the more I lose, or whether I'll always be very intolerant to carbs. I know we are all different but it's interesting to hear of other's experiences.

My last HbA1c was 35 one before that was 39 and before that was 40 and have been considered by my doctor to have been in remission about 9 months or so I think. Losing weight has played a big part in that and a low carb diet. Weight loss over the last couple of years roughly was about 8 and a half stone I also restricted calories to achieve that. Though many manage by just low carb healthy fats. Yes I do believe that in my case as in many others on here insulin sensitivity does improve with weight loss though maybe you could say weight loss comes with improved insulin resistance due to lowering carbohydrate intake. But we are non of us the same so you really need to tailor your plan to your own individual needs what worked for me is not necessarily going to work for all.

Tonight I had a shed load of carbs so my reaction was far more extreme than it has been in a long while. So although I can tolerate a lot more carbs than I used to I still cannot go completely over the top without some consequence.

Hope this helps a little

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c was 35 one before that was 39 and before that was 40 and have been considered by my doctor to have been in remission about 9 months or so I think. Losing weight has played a big part in that and a low carb diet. Weight loss over the last couple of years roughly was about 8 and a half stone I also restricted calories to achieve that. Though many manage by just low carb healthy fats. Yes I do believe that in my case as in many others on here insulin sensitivity does improve with weight loss though maybe you could say weight loss comes with improved insulin resistance due to lowering carbohydrate intake. But we are non of us the same so you really need to tailor your plan to your own individual needs what worked for me is not necessarily going to work for all.

Tonight I had a shed load of carbs so my reaction was far more extreme than it has been in a long while. So although I can tolerate a lot more carbs than I used to I still cannot go completely over the top without some consequence.

Hope this helps a little
Thank you - I love hearing of other's successes and your HbA1c's are brilliant. I understand it's a very individual thing, I will keep eating to my meter!

aseret

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Town centres and shopping malls, lack of parking, i loathe carrots parsnips most root vegetables and pulses, and am not a huge fan of green vegetables either. I really hate ironing..
Yes, a spike. However, wait and see what happens at 2 hours, and again at 2.5 hours and even 3 hours.
Hi again, as you probably know from earlier question, i am very interested in the testing process because i have not really got a handle on it at all and i dont get any help from my diabetes clinic. in fact, they did not want me to test at all until recently.

I tested mmol this morning (fasting) at 8.30 which read 6.3 and then i have not eaten at all, but drank a can of diet lemonade this morning. I am just about to eat, so i tested again and its 11.9 now. I am about to have lunch and will test again after 2 hours, is this normal?