Anger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone have tips for getting over anger relating to diabetes? I dont want the extra stress (i have enough LOL )

I'm extremely angry about my diagnosis because it wasnt under my control/my fault, but the cause of bad parenting (I was given a diet of soda pop and candy & removed from school very young, so no exercise). If I had a proper parent, and been regularly seen by a doctor and fed proper food I would'nt be here right now.

I was 300lbs at 13/14 years old; thats not normal at all. I'd be given multiple 2l of coke a day, and often drank 2 or 3 of them.
No one cared enough to realize y'know, maybe this kid should be doing this?

The anger is just feeding in to my depression as well, and making it hard to function normally.

Anyone have any coping methods?

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you need to figure out first that each generation makes its mistakes. Your generation, and you as a parent, will also make mistakes with your children.

also, question is if your parents did this to you from lack of knowledge, or they knew what they were doing. I bet most of it was involuntary.

I don't try to find excuses for everything they did (I don't have the whole picture anyway), but I know the only cure to your anger is to be able, at some point in time, to forgive and move on with your own life.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Please don't play the blame game, it serves no purpose. Concentrate on the here and now and the things that you can do to improve your future health. Anger saps all your strength and this can weaken your resolve so put the past in the past and use your knowledge to garner a better, brighter future. Best wishes.

D

Deleted Account

Anger is one of the stages of grief and grief is a natural reaction to diagnoses of diabetes.
There are many books and websites which talk about the "Seven Stages of Grief and Bereavement".
Take a read around the subject: once you realise what you are going through, you may find it easier to cope.

Reactions: Incyb

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try to concentrate on getting your diabetes under control the past is gone you can't change it. Yes I think we were all angry to get a diabetes diagnosis but the blame game does not help. There is nothing to prove that how you ate in childhood would cause the diabetes you have now it is far more complex than that.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use that anger to get even! Fight that bl*ody diagnosis and take back your life.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is absolutely nothing you can change about the past, except the way it impacts on the future - but you being diabetic now is what it is all about - you could just as easily have been overweight and drinking all the sugar and not be diabetic, it isn't directly linked.
With any luck eating fewer carb would cause your metabolism to correct itself as much as it is able. Your diabetes will impact less and less on your life, and could even become irrelevant. Testing your blood glucose levels and keeping them normal can help enormously. With normal blood glucose you can often have weightloss, if that is still an issue, and it does seem to help to reduce dismal thoughts as well.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
#1. Don't be angry about diabetes. It is what it is. #2. I grew up in that type of environment except my parents fed me. I still got diabetes. #3.
You're angry at your parents because they didn't do their job. I finally dealt with my anger by reading a book called "toxic parents". It taught me how to move on. PM me if you want to chat.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Pointless .... use the anger to your benefit to wrest control of a future, not a past now gone

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Pointless .... use the anger to your benefit to wrest control of a future, not a past now gone
Totally on board with this, move it forward

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your poor parents .. blaming them.. you reached an age Where you look after yourself and make your own desicions.. easy to blame other people . But it’s not fare to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.