Treating a hypo with carbohydrates

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my body was that slow to react to lucozade ,sugar . I would need speed dial ,to paramedics. My bloods start rising, within ten minutes. We're all different , and I can self treat hypos, at 2 mmol

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In a way you and your nurse are both correct. A reading of 2.1 does sound really really low however. I would expect you to be sparked out on the floor with this reading. It wasn’t 3.1?

I've had a reading of 1.6 before, and was still conscious and able to treat myself okay. I frequently have readings in the 2's.

grannyx3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is unique and therefore their body reacts differently. I have no hypo awareness and often my bm drops to dangerously low levels. I am able to treat them myself and have even given myself a glucagon injection when my reading had fallen to 0.9! I drink lucozade followed by a bread and jam sandwich. Some of you might gasp with shock at that, but it works for me. I have had T1 diabetes for 52 years and have no complications other than Coeliac Disease. I go once a year to doctors for a diabetes review and take little notice of what the nurse tells me because most of what she says is totally irrelevant to diabetes and the diabetic patient! I dont know everything but I dont like being told how to suck eggs .........

Reactions: Colin of Kent

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had a 1.9 and treated myself. Felt like a spaceman with a very fast heartbeat thou.