1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Treating a hypo with carbohydrates

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by be strong 2017, Feb 2, 2018.

1. petdell

petdell Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If my body was that slow to react to lucozade ,sugar . I would need speed dial ,to paramedics. My bloods start rising, within ten minutes. We're all different , and I can self treat hypos, at 2 mmol

2. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had a reading of 1.6 before, and was still conscious and able to treat myself okay. I frequently have readings in the 2's.

3. grannyx3

grannyx3 Type 1 · Member

Everyone is unique and therefore their body reacts differently. I have no hypo awareness and often my bm drops to dangerously low levels. I am able to treat them myself and have even given myself a glucagon injection when my reading had fallen to 0.9! I drink lucozade followed by a bread and jam sandwich. Some of you might gasp with shock at that, but it works for me. I have had T1 diabetes for 52 years and have no complications other than Coeliac Disease. I go once a year to doctors for a diabetes review and take little notice of what the nurse tells me because most of what she says is totally irrelevant to diabetes and the diabetic patient! I dont know everything but I dont like being told how to suck eggs .........

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I've had a 1.9 and treated myself. Felt like a spaceman with a very fast heartbeat thou.

5. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same. But nothing happened I felt fine.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook