Butter?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the message from this report is that the grass used for pasture in the USA may have more contaminants than the grass in Ireland. So the dioxin pecking order is Irish Grass fed -> USA Organic -> USA grass fed

I do know that Irish grass usually gets washed very thoroughly (in the finest natural rain water) before the cows are allowed to eat it.:rolleyes:
It’s easy for me to find organic butter but not grass fed. When we weren’t carrying KG I had to buy other butter that was grass fed. Guess where from?Ireland!!! But it just wasn’t the same

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So why is organic grass fed better then other organic butter?
Or is it just a matter of taste?

I am not sure that it is.

The report linked to suggests that there can be soil contamination which impacts on grass fed in the USA. However it didn't say if organic grass fed was free from the dioxin contamination.
As I read it in the USA organic grain fed was better than (unspecified) USA grass fed because cows ate contaminated dirt/soil along with the grass.

Grass fed is nutritionally better than grain fed; however this has to be balanced against contamination from the dirt/soil. The conclusion seemed to be that organic grain fed was safer in the USA but Irish grass fed was not contaminated so better than USA organic grain fed.

Edit: I assume that organic Irish grass fed should be close to unbeatable.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I
So why is organic grass fed better then other organic butter?
Or is it just a matter of taste?
it has more nutrients from the cows eating their normal diet, not grains. Organic means no gmos. Pastured animals and poultry are always better than grain fed

Reactions: Robbity

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not sure that it is.

The report linked to suggests that there can be soil contamination which impacts on grass fed in the USA. However it didn't say if organic grass fed was free from the dioxin contamination.
As I read it in the USA organic grain fed was better than (unspecified) USA grass fed because cows ate contaminated dirt/soil along with the grass.

Grass fed is nutritionally better than grain fed; however this has to be balanced against contamination from the dirt/soil. The conclusion seemed to be that organic grain fed was safer in the USA but Irish grass fed was not contaminated so better than USA organic grain fed.

Edit: I assume that organic Irish grass fed should be close to unbeatable.
Is that even available? Is there such a thing as organic grass?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I

it has more nutrients from the cows eating their normal diet, not grains. Organic means no gmos. Pastured animals and poultry are always better than grain fed
And I don't believe that in the UK grain fed cows are an issue - I expect them to be eating grass. So I actually think that for us labelling things as "grass fed" may just be a jump-on-the-current-bandwagon advertising ploy....

I've mainly bought Kerrygold ever since I had a choice in the matter, and see no particular reason to change.

Robbity

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm presuming Scottish butter is pretty much the same as Kerrygold?

Hotpepper20000

While I try to buy organic, Kerrygold here is just way to pricy. It’s 10 Canadian dollars a pound compared to 5-6 for others.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While I try to buy organic, Kerrygold here is just way to pricy. It’s 10 Canadian dollars a pound compared to 5-6 for others.
That is pricy. I just noticed ours went up $1 for 1.5 #’s at Costco. Now $9. Getting up there.

I was buying a rolled log of Irish butter at my co op but it just wasn’t the same.
I figure that we don’t go out much and I’ve had this strange aversion to shopping that I can indulge in some of my favorite foods. For now anyway.
I don’t eat a lot of food in general. Grocery list is pretty short these days. And of course there’s the fact KG is like candy lol

And it worked with fasting again. So it’s medicinal as well!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just checked, and here in the UK Kerrygold butter costs £5 per kilo (at Iceland) ! (A kilo weighs more than 2lbs.) On the other hand, in the US petrol is much cheaper than here. You pays your money... Personally, I'd rather have the butter.

Hotpepper20000

I just checked, and here in the UK Kerrygold butter costs £5 per kilo! (A kilo weighs more than 2lbs.) On the other hand, in the US petrol is much cheaper than here. You pays your money... Personally, I'd rather have the butter.
I’m in Canada and petrol isn’t too cheap either. Our food costs are pretty high especially in the winter as much of it is imported. Here in my province we have great beef but it’s pricy.
In the summer we have a garden so that helps.

Hotpepper20000

That is pricy. I just noticed ours went up $1 for 1.5 #’s at Costco. Now $9. Getting up there.

I was buying a rolled log of Irish butter at my co op but it just wasn’t the same.
I figure that we don’t go out much and I’ve had this strange aversion to shopping that I can indulge in some of my favorite foods. For now anyway.
I don’t eat a lot of food in general. Grocery list is pretty short these days. And of course there’s the fact KG is like candy lol

And it worked with fasting again. So it’s medicinal as well!
My food costs haven’t really changed. We ate well and healthy before. I just now buy less grain based food just for Mr Hot-pepper.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, the plot thickens. There I was, all ready to rush off to Iceland and buy Kerrygold, but ... https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/beware-the-new-kerrygold-butter/
and then I found this: https://blog.bulletproof.com/help-kerrygold-grass-fed-butter-be-more-bulletproof/
The bulletproof chap says Anchor butter is produced in New Zealand, which sounds attractive, but no, it is now produced in the UK.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tradition-120-years-moving-production-UK.html
PS I now see it is also still made in NZ, so maybe bulletproof is correct, and you in the US get the NZ version.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That first link is about the naturally softer version, which has been in my supermarket a long time. It isn't the same as the normal block.
Yes, but it is also about the GMO content of all Kerrygold.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Update
Just had my A1C. 4.7!
Through more investigation, the ghee or other animal fats in my morning broth with bf, my DP is much better as well as butter before bed, fastings are much steadier.

Reactions: Salvia and Incyb

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update
Just had my A1C. 4.7!
Through more investigation, the ghee or other animal fats in my morning broth with bf, my DP is much better as well as butter before bed, fastings are much steadier.
Maybe you could publish a new guide to LCHF entitled "butter before bed"! It should be a best seller.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

On the subject of butter, can I ask which is the best butter to eat in terms of being a diabetic?

There are so many butters on the market in the UK and it’s a bit of a minefield. I haven’t tried Kerrygold as of yet but I will aim to try some at some point after reading the great reviews about it on this thread.

My all time fave butter is Anchor as I was brought up with it and my parents never really ate anything else.

I just wanted to ask because I also use butter for cooking and not just for spreading or adding it to food etc..

Kind Regards
Perfumeflower53

Reactions: Salvia