Butter?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not just go for the Kerrygold? Butter from grass fed cows is healthier for us all, and Kerrygold seems to do quite well on the grass fed bit.

Reactions: Perfumeflower53

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

On the subject of butter, can I ask which is the best butter to eat in terms of being a diabetic?

There are so many butters on the market in the UK and it’s a bit of a minefield. I haven’t tried Kerrygold as of yet but I will aim to try some at some point after reading the great reviews about it on this thread.

My all time fave butter is Anchor as I was brought up with it and my parents never really ate anything else.

I just wanted to ask because I also use butter for cooking and not just for spreading or adding it to food etc..

Kind Regards
Perfumeflower53

I was brought up on Anchor as well, and remember the gorgeous taste (particularly when I dashed home from school, starving, and devoured the crusty end of bread liberally slathered with Anchor - (or sometimes dripping with salt!), to be followed around 6.o'clock by a proper 'meat & two veg' meal when 'tea' was ready. :)

p.s. Forgot to mention, I was conned by the govt. advice to eat low fat for many years, but when I returned to butter I chose Kerrygold because it was the one I could find that said it was from grass-fed cows. Not been disappointed, and really enjoy it.

Reactions: Tabzmcfc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think we had brands of butter when I was growing up. I just remember my mum buying it in slabs, cut and weighed, then wrapped in grease proof paper. No fridges in those days so it went on the tiled hearth in the front room! It may have been the butcher where she bought it, or maybe the corner shop, I can't remember.

Hotpepper20000

Why not just go for the Kerrygold? Butter from grass fed cows is healthier for us all, and Kerrygold seems to do quite well on the grass fed bit.
For us in the far north, the cost of Kerrygold is too high. We have organic butter here but I’m not sure if it’s from grass fed cows. Even that is crazy expensive. The cheapest butter is almost 5$ A pound. So I buy it when it’s on sale and freeze it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Our KG went up at Costco. Now $9 for 1.5 pounds. I wish they packaged it in those foil things in 1/2 T! That would be most convenient for me as I take some food with me everyday and really noticing how much a little more animal fat keeps bs lower

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our KG went up at Costco. Now $9 for 1.5 pounds. I wish they packaged it in those foil things in 1/2 T! That would be most convenient for me as I take some food with me everyday and really noticing how much a little more animal fat keeps bs lower
Kerrygold butter just went up in price here in the UK too. Today I bought my first pack and I love it. However I do suspect that part of the appeal is the high salt content. I am planning a special trip to Iceland (the store!) who still offer it at an amazingly cheaper price, to buy lots and freeze.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think we had brands of butter when I was growing up. I just remember my mum buying it in slabs, cut and weighed, then wrapped in grease proof paper. No fridges in those days so it went on the tiled hearth in the front room! It may have been the butcher where she bought it, or maybe the corner shop, I can't remember.
When I was a small child it was still wartime in Britain. There was strict rationing. I remember I had a special butter ration of my own because I was a child. It was kept in an orange bakelite (early plastic) covered pot in the larder and I remember gazing at it and feeling very important. No-one else in the household had their own individual butter pot. I remember too that my mother and her sister had different strategies for using their very small butter ration. My aunt would enjoy one piece of toast heaped with butter, whereas my mother would eke out hers by putting just a smear on several.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Devil's Advocate here.... Is the Kerrygold blurb on the packaging - cows on green pastures of small farms - just a good advertising strapline? Um, there are any number of local butters produced on small farms here in the West Country, with cows munching happily on grass throughout the year, including a really gorgeous creamy butter from a farm local to me - couldn't that claim apply to them and of course all the other small-farm butters produced in the UK? Or is it that Kerrygold farm grass butter really is better than these? And, actually, isn't grass-fed organic (if the farm of course doesn't spray half a chemistry lab over its land)?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 's point about the salt content is a good one.

My Dad taught me to always look at the salt content of butter. It is the thing that makes the most difference to the flavour.
Butter comes with salt at anywhere from 0% to over 1.5%
- which affects the colour (it is the salt that makes the butter more golden) and the flavour.

Personally I cant see the point of unsalted butter, and use salted all the time, even when the recipe calls for unsalted.

So if anyone wants to compare different butters (as that article of Alexandra's compared Kerrygold and US Organic) then the FIRST thing to compare should have been the salt content - otherwise it is not comparing like for like.

Just had a v quick look at UK Tescos website, and here are the listed salt contents for a few:

Kerrygold salted 1.8% salt
Kerrygold unsalted 0.1%

Anchor salted 1.7%

Yorkshire butter 1.5%

President unsalted 0.03%

Lurpack slightly salted 1.2%
Lurpack unsalted 0.01%

Tescos organic unsalted 0.1%
Tescos organic salted 1.5%
Tescos unsalted 0%
Tescos salted 1.5%

I just buy Kerrygold and Anchor, because of the flavour and grass-fedness, but they are also the highest salt, which is why I like the flavour.