Just Diagnosed... Assume I am Type 2 and Hello!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daniel
I am a scientific nutritionist. Sure you can beat this and I was very interested in your post. I have say very surprised by the fact that someone of your obvious intelligence was not aware of carb dangers but there are many other factors. You diet has someway to go yet but here are a few well proven tips. In successfully helping many people reverse D2, some things are always the same:

NO.

NO sugar or preserved sugar or hidden sugar, disguised whateverZERO
NO added salt
NO saturated fat. Look up 'intramyocellular lipotoxicity.'
NO fizzy drinks at all
Cut fruit except blueberries completely for first six weeks
NO tinned food for first six weeks
Cut any serial for breakfast for at least 12 weeks
A beer is ok now and then but NOT with food

you will lose weight too

ran out of time will return

good luck
Hi. As others have said some of your advice is good but some of it is not scientifically based and based around 'research' driven by the food industry and big pharma. Saturated fat is fine despite rumours to the contrary. Salt for most of us is OK as long as you don't have very high BP. No sugar added fizzy drinks are fine. There is nothing wrong with tinned food. You can have beer with or without food but not too much due to the carbs.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daniel
I am a scientific nutritionist. Sure you can beat this and I was very interested in your post. I have say very surprised by the fact that someone of your obvious intelligence was not aware of carb dangers but there are many other factors. You diet has someway to go yet but here are a few well proven tips. In successfully helping many people reverse D2, some things are always the same:

NO.

NO sugar or preserved sugar or hidden sugar, disguised whateverZERO
NO added salt
NO saturated fat. Look up 'intramyocellular lipotoxicity.'
NO fizzy drinks at all
Cut fruit except blueberries completely for first six weeks
NO tinned food for first six weeks
Cut any serial for breakfast for at least 12 weeks
A beer is ok now and then but NOT with food

you will lose weight too

ran out of time will return

good luck
I consider myself reasonably intelligent, yet had no idea until recently just how much I needed to reduce the carbs in my diet, many of which were 'healthy' ones like porridge and wholemeal bread, in order to control my condition. There's so much mixed messages/bad advice out there, it's no wonder lots of us get confused. Even your advice is strange and confusing!!

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done anothe reading, 8pm - 8.3, ate a small steak, mushrooms and salad and two hours later still 8.3. Suppose it's good, albeit the first reading isn't great!

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Diabetes is fickle, just when you think you are beating it, diabetes throws a curved ball, an illness, stress, what we have eaten or drank and many more factors come into play.

I believe that initially I was insulin resistant, this caused me to gain weight, and over a period of time the downward spiral progressed, I was not diabetic because I was fat, I became fat because I was insulin resistant.

I was 23.5 stone, I am now 17.5 stone, I am 6ft 2 ins, I need to get to around 13 stone, Because of this great site and the support and humanity of the contributors I am on the low carb high fat diet, but I have found that I have to use the fat part sensibly, I love steak fried in butter and garlic with a double cream pepper sauce added to the meat juices, add asparagus, avocado and 2 small vine tomatoes and I was in heaven, but it slowed my weight loss, so this is now an occasional treat.

My diabetes seems to make me depressed, every failure drives me downwards, thankfully, every time I see my blood glucose and weight fall, it lifts me back up again, it is a yoyo disease that also plateaus, for me bread, pasta, potatoes root veg etc are a thing of the past, but it need not be a punishment, be inventive in the kitchen, use herbs and spices to change the flavour , buy an air cooker, I use a scale that I learnt here "leaves, Shoots, Fruits, Roots" add to this meat I tend to use a lot of chicken, and sensible amount of fats like cream and butter, your weight will fall, your bloods will on the whole improve, but always be prepared for the yoyo it is always waiting to pounce.

I wish you the best of luck, perhaps you should ask your doctor about ditching the insulin and replace it with metformin, if you are honest with what goes in your mouth, then soon you will not need to inject yourself with a substance that I believe will stress your beta cells, and bring forward the day when things start to go pear shaped.

Sorry for writing so much, I have probably written this to myself as well as you.

singsteve

That is rather strange advice - cutting right down from normal amounts, but you can still have some sugar.
You will need to add salt if you are eating a lot of unprocessed foods, though not huge amounts. In warm weather you can get cramps due to too little salt.
Saturated fat is fine as far as I can work out - my test results seem ideal.
Fizzy drinks containing small amounts of fruit juice or sweetened with artificial sweeteners seem fine, though not to excess as they maintain a 'sweet tooth'.
Blueberries are twice as sweet as many berries, so should be avoided.
Tinned food is fine as long as it is low carb.
Cut any cereal for breakfast for the rest of your life if it spikes your BG.
Beer is not really OK as it is so high carb, but if you walk to the pub and back again then it might be OK - check BG levels.

was pushed for time yesterday so let me explain a little more.....i have brought many people from being on medication who are now rid of D2. in fact i only failed with 1 who decided to go back to his old lifestyle after six weeks even though his BS had returned to normal levels. My suggestions here are based around a 6 week turnaround which is absolutely doable. it can be relaxed slightly. later...

First the foods you mention:

-you don't need sugar/glucose. your body can make it. sugar is TOXIC. cancer loves it, bacteria loves it and the undertaker loves it.
-there is enough sodium in many foods. haven't put any salt on my food 20 years. never get cramp. if you use it, use sea salt
amount of minerals sea salt 80-90....amount of minerals table salt just 2. i agree with you though, just a small bit won't hurt...
-saturated fat from meats especially worsen insulin resistance.
-fizzy drinks in particular coke and sprite contain 6-8 teaspoons of sugar. best have none at all. squeeze a lemon in water and get a good dose of vitamin C also
-blueberries have a glycemic load and are high in fibre and contain large amounts of antioxidants.
-tinned food is risky from the tin plating being toxic and most tinned foods with have large amounts of salt/sugar
-cereals in the main full of sugar. many people i have advised on obesity don't eat breakfast these days. i recommend 16/8 food program and it works well.
-A couple of beers or glasses of wine is fine but not every night (though i know many who do this and are healthy) try to avoid eating and drinking at the same time)

Hope this helps....each item above really does have hard science to back it up even though we learn more every day and science doesn't always get it right!

best

singsteve

Hi. As others have said some of your advice is good but some of it is not scientifically based and based around 'research' driven by the food industry and big pharma. Saturated fat is fine despite rumours to the contrary. Salt for most of us is OK as long as you don't have very high BP. No sugar added fizzy drinks are fine. There is nothing wrong with tinned food. You can have beer with or without food but not too much due to the carbs.

Hi, quite the contrary, all my advice is backed by science.

-Saturated fat is not the enemy of heart disease it was once thought BUT what it is....... a contributor to diabetes 2. this is a message i am bring to the area where i practise as people are not aware of the implication. please look up intramyocellular lipotoxicity.
-table salt is not good for you. a little won't hurt though
-most 'no sugar' fizzy drink contain artificial flavouring. not good. coke and sprite avoid at all costs. use coke to clean your toilet of just for fun boil an egg and leave it coke overnight. see how easily it peels next day
- tinned food contains sugars, salts, preservatives and the electro plated cans will provide small amounts of poison. however, this is a purist view. eat from cans but not everything.....
-drinking beer with food regularly is not good. the alcohol has to be dealt with first by your digestion as it is toxic. the food has to wait and some will be stored
-please check in any science manual (not health magazines and don't believe all you red on you tube). i have been a scientist over 40 years and never quote anything that has consistent proof. however, science was wrong about 'tonsils' 'appendix' gallbladder, heart disease etc, etc, and will be proved wrong many times years to come.

if you have d2 and want to discuss, feel free to drop me a line....

singsteve

Hi, quite the contrary, all my advice is backed by science.

-Saturated fat is not the enemy of heart disease it was once thought BUT what it is....... a contributor to diabetes 2. this is a message i am bring to the area where i practise as people are not aware of the implication. please look up intramyocellular lipotoxicity.
-table salt is not good for you. a little won't hurt though
-most 'no sugar' fizzy drink contain artificial flavouring. not good. coke and sprite avoid at all costs. use coke to clean your toilet of just for fun boil an egg and leave it coke overnight. see how easily it peels next day
- tinned food contains sugars, salts, preservatives and the electro plated cans will provide small amounts of poison. however, this is a purist view. eat from cans but not everything.....
-drinking beer with food regularly is not good. the alcohol has to be dealt with first by your digestion as it is toxic. the food has to wait and some will be stored
-please check in any science manual (not health magazines and don't believe all you red on you tube). i have been a scientist over 40 years and never quote anything that has consistent proof. however, science was wrong about 'tonsils' 'appendix' gallbladder, heart disease etc, etc, and will be proved wrong many times years to come.

if you have d2 and want to discuss, feel free to drop me a line....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturated fat is not the enemy of heart disease it was once thought BUT what it is....... a contributor to diabetes 2. this is a message i am bring to the area where i practise as people are not aware of the implication. please look up intramyocellular lipotoxicity.

I think you will find that this is a problem in high carb diets where insulin resistance is causing fat to be stored and not burned.
Once the carb levels are low enough to enable fat burning then fat is used for fuel. This is why I would always advocate a ketogenic diet for Type 2's. Hence saturated fat is not a problem. Also the studies have found an "association" which if you are indeed a scientist of 40 years you should know proves nothing.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost nearly 2kg (about 4½ lbs?) this week compared to last week, so must be doing something right.

Although reading when I woke up was 9mmol/l, will check in two hours. Just had eggs, turkey rashers, sausage and mushrooms for breakfast.

Also one post I mentioned I was on insulin, I am not. I think there was some confusion about a "sharps box" , I was referring to the lancets from my glucose monitor. I am not (yet) on any medication, but going to a Diabetic clinic on Tuesday.

singsteve

I think you will find that this is a problem in high carb diets where insulin resistance is causing fat to be stored and not burned.
Once the carb levels are low enough to enable fat burning then fat is used for fuel. This is why I would always advocate a ketogenic diet for Type 2's. Hence saturated fat is not a problem. Also the studies have found an "association" which if you are indeed a scientist of 40 years you should know proves nothing.

So naive