Fasting

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The voluntary avoidance of calorie consumption. Some folk drink nothing but water, and tea and coffee without milk or cream. Others have a little cream in coffee, or bullet proof coffee with butter cream and mct oil, or bone broth. You need to supplement with electrolytes if you're doing a "pure" water fast, or you get dizzy and weak feeling. People often start off intermittent fasting, by skipping breakfast then eating in a restricted window eg 16/8, then building up to longer fasts. It lowers your insulin and bg. I've been doing it for the best part of a year to great effect.

Reactions: Margaretjamieson

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve done fasting for just over a year, 16:8. Since being diagnosed 8 weeks ago, my BG goes high if I don’t eat, how do you all do it without your BG shooting up? Are you on Metformin?

I just diet controlled, LCHF.

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve done fasting for just over a year, 16:8. Since being diagnosed 8 weeks ago, my BG goes high if I don’t eat, how do you all do it without your BG shooting up? Are you on Metformin?

I’m just diet controlled, LCHF. Sorry, I know I’ve asked a question when it’s not my thread, sorry about that.

To offer a reply on the topic,

Fasting is where you fast for a certain amount of time, in order to activate many things in your body, mainly to get your body to use it’s stored fuel and hormones, to suppress cancers, it’s best to research intermittent fasting to find out all of the benefits. There are so many.

I used to fast for 16 hours and have a window for eating that was 8 hours long. If you’re fasting please let us know how it goes and how you feel, as well as your BG levels, especially before meals.

My BG goes high before meals and in the mornings. So I don’t tho k I can do it anymore. Sadly. Fasting made me feel so much better.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

I just diet controlled, LCHF.

When I fast, my blood glucose will still go up in the morning, up if I exercise vigorously, up if I am stressed, up if I take a shower.....you get the picture. I believe the spikes I get are the liver releasing glucose in response to stress. And, yes, fasting is a stressor. I do know how frustrating it is to fast and get a spike. You’ve deprived yourself and your body is not showing the changes you want. Auugghh!

I only see significant drops in my meter if I fast longer (24-40 hrs) and deplete some of my excess glucose storage. If I am fasting and spike, I know My body has perceived a stress and is trying to protect me. My body is preparing to fight or flight by releasing glucose from storage. Since I am reactive hypoglycemic, I will then go hypo so I try to avoid this, but most T2D’s don’t unless they are on meds. Since your fasts are short, I would keep the thought that you are just releasing some of the excess from storage. I am also assuming that you were not checking your glucose levels before you were diagnosed. Before diagnosis, you did this, you just didn’t know or keep track of it. For me, even knowing there may be stress spikes, I still find fasting beneficial for my body and try to go long enough for insulin sensitivity and autophagy benefits.

Here’s an article from Dr Jason Fung’s site you might find interesting

https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Last edited:

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I fast, my blood glucose will still go up in the morning, up if I exercise vigorously, up if I am stressed, up if I take a shower.....you get the picture. I believe the spikes I get are the liver releasing glucose in response to stress. And, yes, fasting is a stressor. I do know how frustrating it is to fast and get a spike. You’ve deprived yourself and your body is not showing the changes you want. Auugghh!

I only see significant drops in my meter if I fast longer (24-40 hrs) and deplete some of my excess glucose storage. If I am fasting and spike, I know My body has perceived a stress and is trying to protect me. My body is preparing to fight or flight by releasing glucose from storage. Since I am reactive hypoglycemic, I will then go hypo so I try to avoid this, but most T2D’s don’t unless they are on meds. Since your fasts are short, I would keep the thought that you are just releasing some of the excess from storage. I am also assuming that you were not checking your glucose levels before you were diagnosed. Before diagnosis, you did this, you just didn’t know or keep track of it. For me, even knowing there may be stress spikes, I still find fasting beneficial for my body and try to go long enough for insulin sensitivity and autophagy benefits.

Here’s an article from Dr Jason Fung’s site you might find interesting

https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Thank you very much for your reply and the link about Dawn phenomena, I haven’t been to the diabetes nurse yet, so I’m full of questions. You are so helpful in answering my questions so thoroughly. Really, thank you so much.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for your reply and the link about Dawn phenomena, I haven’t been to the diabetes nurse yet, so I’m full of questions. You are so helpful in answering my questions so thoroughly. Really, thank you so much.
My pleasure. Glad I could help. Just keep asking questions. We are all learning from each other.

Good luck with your appointment. Write some of your questions out before your appointment. It’s amazing how quickly the appointments can go and how the questions leave our mind until we are out the door.

Reactions: Lauriem1967

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
What is fasting?
As someone who works in English Language teacher training, the definition of the word "fasting" used in the diabetic world and likewise from member to member in that group, differs. That's really interesting for me. Semantically, I generally associate it with long periods of going without food and/or drink for religious or medical reasons in having a "fasting" blood test.

Wow, just read that back and it sound like I'm up my own posterior usually called bum. But honestly, it's the idea of a long time without food/drink. I don't really think going to bed and then having a sleep for 7 or 8 hours counts as real fasting but that's Sue the new diabetic's understanding. Love English not so happy with diabetes!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, just read that back and it sound like I'm up my own posterior usually called bum. But honestly, it's the idea of a long time without food/drink. I don't really think going to bed and then having a sleep for 7 or 8 hours counts as real fasting but that's Sue the new diabetic's understanding. Love English not so happy with diabetes!!

So why do you think our breakfast is so named? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious....

Robbity

PS Perhaps we could get started on the meanings/definition of "diet", next...:wideyed:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
So why do you think our breakfast is so named? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious....

Robbity

PS Perhaps we could get started on the meanings/definition of "diet", next...:wideyed:
I agree with you about breakfast, comes from late middle English if I'm not mistaken. I'm just fascinated by words, their meaning and how thet can and does change:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Incyb