Dexcom or Libre

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

Considering looking into the Dexcom G5 or the free style Libre. Can anyone give me an idea of UK prices please, what it would cost to start with and how much would need to be spent from then on (I.e sensors each month)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @emily deacon . Having read another post from you it appears you are looking for something to inform you when you're sugars maybe going low. Correct me if I'm wrong:).
Dexcom is to the best of my knowledge more expensive to use.
I actually have no experience of using Libre, only experience of using Dexcom G4.
Dexcom initially set me back £800 to set up, and is currently costing around £ 60 per month to use, dependent on how long sensors last. Initial outlay for G5 is cheaper as you have no need to purchase a receiver ( £350 ) you just connect up to a smart phone. Sensors still cost £200 for 4 whichever option you choose. Transmitter (£270 ) is a must. Apparently people report that transmitter for G4 can last over a year but G5 transmitters don't last as long.
The libre system in its basic form offers no alarms and needs to be scanned to gain results whereas the dexcom constantly sends information without any input from the user.
In order for the libre to alarm and monitor continuously you would need to modify xdrip+ I believe. The go to guy for this is @Scott-C he would be able to give all the information required regarding using / modifying the libre system.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reactions: emily deacon

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @emily deacon . Having read another post from you it appears you are looking for something to inform you when you're sugars maybe going low. Correct me if I'm wrong:).
Dexcom is to the best of my knowledge more expensive to use.
I actually have no experience of using Libre, only experience of using Dexcom G4.
Dexcom initially set me back £800 to set up, and is currently costing around £ 60 per month to use, dependent on how long sensors last. Initial outlay for G5 is cheaper as you have no need to purchase a receiver ( £350 ) you just connect up to a smart phone. Sensors still cost £200 for 4 whichever option you choose. Transmitter (£270 ) is a must. Apparently people report that transmitter for G4 can last over a year but G5 transmitters don't last as long.
The libre system in its basic form offers no alarms and needs to be scanned to gain results whereas the dexcom constantly sends information without any input from the user.
In order for the libre to alarm and monitor continuously you would need to modify xdrip+ I believe. The go to guy for this is @Scott-C he would be able to give all the information required regarding using / modifying the libre system.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you this did help a lot! I’m assuming the nhs will not fund this for me. I have a great deal of anxiety and panic attacks when my sugars hit low

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you this did help a lot! I’m assuming the nhs will not fund this for me. I have a great deal of anxiety and panic attacks when my sugars hit low
There's no harm in asking/ pleading. The more compelling your argument the more they may consider you for funding.
I suspect if you was to get funding it would be for the libre. Then you could modify to suit you.
Hope that you get some help going forward.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The libre has a relatively low initial cost, so you could just buy a couple of sensors and see if they help. I believe that you can possibly get away without buying a scanner (which is about the same price as a sensor) if you download the right software to the right smartphone????
Be aware that the libre has accuracy issues for some people, though is a truly excellent device for most.
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products.html
You should be able to avoid the vat if you tell them you're on insulin.

The libre sensors last for 14 days each, so you're talking about an ongoing cost of about 25 pounds per week? (Hopefully some of the UK people will correct me if my figures are wrong.) But some of the UK T1s have succeeded in getting their doctors to prescribe the sensors.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go Dexcom as Abbott have terrible customer service. Always order and delivery problems and having no stock. I believe the G5 is definitely the way to go.