I think I've become one of those annoying people that are always ill.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi again guys, I hope everyone is doing good and had a stress free 2018 so far.

On a bit of a downer lately as I'm getting fed up of feeling ill and I've become one of "those people". I've already had a disciplinary this week at work because of 3 no shows (a letter they issue you when you don't provide a good enough reason or no reason for not coming in). 2 were related to my mentally ill uncle trying to hurt himself (who has now been missing for 3 weeks) and the third was diabetes. But that's another can of worms.

I'm on a zero hour contract and I've had quite a few days off last year because my health has been really c**p. I don't seem to catch things other than colds, my body just seems to enjoy attacking itself. I had stomach issues, possibly an ulcer/acid/GERD and my sugars were not good. Lots of hypos and then I wasn't able to eat because of the stomach issues and I got really sick with starvation ketones and spent most of December in bed. I had a few issues with sugars in January, my insulin needs drastically went down so it was a horrible process trying to learn my new doses with so many hypos, but I haven't had a hypo in over a week, maybe 2 weeks. So I think I've got it under control again despite a few highs. I went from needing about 3-4 units per 10g to about 1.5-1.8 based on close monitoring I've done.

I caught a cold on Tuesday and still went to work, sugars haven't been too high which is nice considering I usually sky rocket when i have a cold. Spent Friday and Saturday in bed, and now I've got sickness and diarrhoea!?

I've just woken up at 4am not feeling right. I have been getting lower back/tailbone pain lately that radiates around to my left hip/pelvis and tonight to the centre of my stomach where my belly button is. Been on the toilet for an hour with horrific diarrhoa and acid reflux! The back/hip pain might be unrelated as I think my work or mattress is causing it as it feels like stiff muscle type pain and doesn't really bother me unless I'm at home, and it eases off after I've been pottering about or working. I have work tomorrow too and I'm so stressed out that I'm not gonna be well enough. I drive to different locations for work, sometimes hours away so its not like I'm close to home if I am not well and if you are ill you still have to wait for the job to finish to go home unless someone offers to drive you.

My boyfriend and I ate the exact same dinner last night and he's fine so it can't be food, although I am feeling slightly better now I've purged what felt like demons and my entire set of internal organs into the toilet (sorry )so I'm hoping something just disagreed with me. I've just had a heartburn tablet to hopefully get rid of this horrible reflux.

Does anyone else with type 1 find themselves sick more often? Not necessarily catching things from other people as my immune system seems in overdrive (diabetes, allergies, eczema...), but I seem to have more health problems than I used to even though my diabetes control isn't bad. I've never been hospitalised or had any complications. I'm only 28 and just feel like my body hates me!

Edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've actually been quite lucky in terms of catching cold etc since I was diagnosed - only got sick once in the 2.5 years I've been diabetic (plus when I was diagnosed). However I feel much more worried about minor things like headaches or whatever. I think I must have had the same number of minor problems before I was diagnosed, but I never paid any attention to them because I just thought it was no big deal and would fix itself. Now I am diabetic I worry that every little thing that goes wrong is actually a complication, or sign that I'm low, or some random horrible health problem. "My chest hurt for a minute this afternoon, is that ok is something wrong" etc.

Hope you're feeling ok. :)

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I've actually been quite lucky in terms of catching cold etc since I was diagnosed - only got sick once in the 2.5 years I've been diabetic (plus when I was diagnosed). However I feel much more worried about minor things like headaches or whatever. I think I must have had the same number of minor problems before I was diagnosed, but I never paid any attention to them because I just thought it was no big deal and would fix itself. Now I am diabetic I worry that every little thing that goes wrong is actually a complication, or sign that I'm low, or some random horrible health problem. "My chest hurt for a minute this afternoon, is that ok is something wrong" etc.

Hope you're feeling ok. :)

I hate that feeling, too. When you start getting paranoid and realise you aren't bulletproof. I just really hope this back and hip ache is just my mattress and not something more.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear this @Catsymoo and hope you feel better soon, I would recommend just having a check up at your docs to see if there's anything else that can be done ? I know it's easy to directly link every illness to t1 but it may not be the case and it's best to rule out anything else. My partner has been ill for 2 weeks now and cannot shake his cold, before that daughter had it and was very poorly and there's me who's survived it, who knows why. I think if you're feeling low anyway and stressed then yes you will be more susceptible to picking up bugs so getting yourself checked out is important, take care hun.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In the last 3 years would you be able to say “Im feeling ok today”. That GERD should be easy to treat. The rest of the stuff I would suggest not walking under ladders and crossing your fingers if you see a black cat.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Sorry to hear this @Catsymoo and hope you feel better soon, I would recommend just having a check up at your docs to see if there's anything else that can be done ? I know it's easy to directly link every illness to t1 but it may not be the case and it's best to rule out anything else. My partner has been ill for 2 weeks now and cannot shake his cold, before that daughter had it and was very poorly and there's me who's survived it, who knows why. I think if you're feeling low anyway and stressed then yes you will be more susceptible to picking up bugs so getting yourself checked out is important, take care hun.

Sorry to hear your family as not been well. My other half always moans that he might have a cold coming but it never comes and I get annoyed when I'm always the one who gets a proper cold and he never gets sick!

I think if the back pain continues for another week I will see a doctor. I've never had this before. It started shortly after i went back to work after Xmas and we had no work in December so jumping back into 12 hour shifts... I really felt the burn lol. I've always had a weak lower back which sometimes really hurts when I do dishes or stand in one place too long folding laundry etc. But this time it's lower down and is this horrible stiff dull ache. It's worse on my left hip and thigh but it feels like a "slept in the same position too long" type of ache. Once I go out and go to work I'm usually fine but it really hurts when I'm in bed or getting up and down from chair/toilet. I'm wondering if staying in bed at the weekend and coughing has made it worse.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey you are really suffering Big time , it seems like Living hell, maybe your imune response is very week , I Think you should ask your GP for having your blood tested for all kinds of deficiencies And maybe also have an expert have a look on your conserning imune problems

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably worth having a general health check with your GP. Are your vitamin D and B12 levels ok?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

On a bit of a downer lately as I'm getting fed up of feeling ill and I've become one of "those people". I've already had a disciplinary this week at work because of 3 no shows (a letter they issue you when you don't provide a good enough reason or no reason for not coming in). 2 were related to my mentally ill uncle trying to hurt himself (who has now been missing for 3 weeks) and the third was diabetes. But that's another can of worms.

I'm on a zero hour contract and I've had quite a few days off last year because my health has been really c**p. I don't seem to catch things other than colds, my body just seems to enjoy attacking itself. I had stomach issues, possibly an ulcer/acid/GERD and my sugars were not good. Lots of hypos and then I wasn't able to eat because of the stomach issues and I got really sick with starvation ketones and spent most of December in bed. I had a few issues with sugars in January, my insulin needs drastically went down so it was a horrible process trying to learn my new doses with so many hypos, but I haven't had a hypo in over a week, maybe 2 weeks. So I think I've got it under control again despite a few highs. I went from needing about 3-4 units per 10g to about 1.5-1.8 based on close monitoring I've done.

I caught a cold on Tuesday and still went to work, sugars haven't been too high which is nice considering I usually sky rocket when i have a cold. Spent Friday and Saturday in bed, and now I've got sickness and diarrhoea!?

I've just woken up at 4am not feeling right. I have been getting lower back/tailbone pain lately that radiates around to my left hip/pelvis and tonight to the centre of my stomach where my belly button is. Been on the toilet for an hour with horrific diarrhoa and acid reflux! The back/hip pain might be unrelated as I think my work or mattress is causing it as it feels like stiff muscle type pain and doesn't really bother me unless I'm at home, and it eases off after I've been pottering about or working. I have work tomorrow too and I'm so stressed out that I'm not gonna be well enough. I drive to different locations for work, sometimes hours away so its not like I'm close to home if I am not well and if you are ill you still have to wait for the job to finish to go home unless someone offers to drive you.

My boyfriend and I ate the exact same dinner last night and he's fine so it can't be food, although I am feeling slightly better now I've purged what felt like demons and my entire set of internal organs into the toilet (sorry )so I'm hoping something just disagreed with me. I've just had a heartburn tablet to hopefully get rid of this horrible reflux.

Does anyone else with type 1 find themselves sick more often? Not necessarily catching things from other people as my immune system seems in overdrive (diabetes, allergies, eczema...), but I seem to have more health problems than I used to even though my diabetes control isn't bad. I've never been hospitalised or had any complications. I'm only 28 and just feel like my body hates me!

sorry your feeling under the weather catsymoo make an appointment with your gp or dn and get checked out xsending big hugs and hope you feel better soon :)

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Probably worth having a general health check with your GP. Are your vitamin D and B12 levels ok?

I have no idea. I haven't had a blood test in 2 years because I have really bad veins and have major anxiety attacks and nausea when they try to take blood. :(

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was LITERALLY ranting about the same thing earlier today! I've been diabetic for 15 years and have always been in great health otherwise, but this year (as in winter 17/18) I have been nothing but sick! I've had 3 colds since November, all of which were accompanied by fevers and I've had to take a couple of days off work from. This has never happened to me before and I have no idea why it's been this bad this time!

Fatima_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
sorry to hear this! if it makes you feel any better, I'm exactly the same- all my friends tell me that I'm always ill (which i'm pretty sure is related to diabetes). I'm also worried about the future and when I get a job soon. We've just got to keep ploughing through, hugs x