Libre delivery issues

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone else having issues with getting their Libre sensors delivered?

Their website talks about high demand and that orders might take 2 weeks to be fulfilled, but here I am 2 weeks later and my sensor has only just gone out for delivery. God knows how they think they will supply the NHS.

It's somewhat ridiculous that a product that expires in 2 weeks can't even be delivered in that time - I'm sure many people have the same issue as I do in not being able to afford to buy a bunch in advance.

I'm about to go on holiday and feel totally blind without it. Worse than that, even though their customer service has been appalling it's not like there's anywhere else to go! I've just had to mentally square writing them an angry complaint about their failure to deliver my order on time, and then purchasing a new sensor - because I'm worried now that I won't get the *next* one in time.

Ugh!

D

Deleted Account

It does seem as if they were not ready for the increased demand once the Libre were approved for NHS.
However, with all of my diabetes kit, I have backups and will never be blind.
These backup are not as good as the primary devices (e.g. I have insulin pens and spare insulin if my pump fails and I have a spare bulky finger prick BG meter) but if we rely on a piece of kit to keep us alive, we need some alternative if they are defective or their is a supply problem.

I do not have a Libre because I found it too inaccurate for insulin doses although the trends are useful occasionally to teach myself what to expect when I exercise, eat certain foods, etc.
I have considered requesting Libre for this occasional use from my diabetes team but I expect them to use the supply problems as an excuse not to bother.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Figures I have seen for NHS prescriptions in Scotland and Wales only show about 300 being prescribed a month (no idea on England) so not sure NHS demand is driving the shortage.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm making sure with place a new order when I have 2 left now.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps if the product was better Abbots wouldn't be replacing so many faulty sensors, this would lead to more usable sensors available. At the moment it seems from what some people are saying that the more sensors they produce the more they have to replace.

Dianemacfaden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ugliness
Is anyone else having issues with getting their Libre sensors delivered?

Their website talks about high demand and that orders might take 2 weeks to be fulfilled, but here I am 2 weeks later and my sensor has only just gone out for delivery. God knows how they think they will supply the NHS.

It's somewhat ridiculous that a product that expires in 2 weeks can't even be delivered in that time - I'm sure many people have the same issue as I do in not being able to afford to buy a bunch in advance.

I'm about to go on holiday and feel totally blind without it. Worse than that, even though their customer service has been appalling it's not like there's anywhere else to go! I've just had to mentally square writing them an angry complaint about their failure to deliver my order on time, and then purchasing a new sensor - because I'm worried now that I won't get the *next* one in time.

Ugh!

I waited just over 2 weeks for my last batch. Previously they came within 4-5 days.
I think it is time for them to consider reducing the price if there is now higher demand.
I know they are supposedly available on prescription but my GP tells me that they cannot be prescribed in my area in Northumberland yet. So I still have to buy mine, and they are expensive! I wouldn’t qualify to get them anyway as I am classed as being “well controlled”
I have had type 1 now for nearly 50 years and this new gadget makes my life so much easier.
Why can’t I have some as a special reward for being so good at my control all these years! I think I deserve it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps if the product was better Abbots wouldn't be replacing so many faulty sensors, this would lead to more usable sensors available. At the moment it seems from what some people are saying that the more sensors they produce the more they have to replace.
Im on my 4th sensor which is reading 2-2.5 mmol higher than my 2 meters. Number 3 sensor began to tell me I was on 3.4 - 3.8 when the meters put me on 5 - 5.5. Who knows what my sugars were in the middle of the night when libre reckoned I was at 2.6
Abbot are replacing sensor 4 but said that a 2 - 2.5mmol discrepancy is acceptable accoding to their computer system - not according to me!,.

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a delivery today of an order placed on Jan 29. The Abbott supply chain seems to have really screwed up. Like others I will in future order when I start my last but one sensor.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im on my 4th sensor which is reading 2-2.5 mmol higher than my 2 meters. Number 3 sensor began to tell me I was on 3.4 - 3.8 when the meters put me on 5 - 5.5. Who knows what my sugars were in the middle of the night when libre reckoned I was at 2.6
Abbot are replacing sensor 4 but said that a 2 - 2.5mmol discrepancy is acceptable accoding to their computer system - not according to me!,.

Boo - What sort of prep did you do before calling Abbott? I usually note several (errant) Libre readings, with meter readings at the appropriate time, bearing in mind the blood/interstitial fluid lag, and have those to hand, so that they're dealing with a few actuals.

The only time they didn't replace a sensor (and I never, ever ask for a replacement) was early on when I called very soon after applying the sensor and they asked me to give it another 24hrs. When I called back they replaced it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- left 36 hours between sensor application and activation
- ignored the first days readings even tho I thought they were odd
- for the next day and a half took comparison readings from the libre and my meter, at the same time then 15-30 min later

Abbot were fine re offering a replacement

Last edited: