Probably been asked a million times but ...

Graham76

I'm 42 and have been T2 diabetic for 8 years now, although it's only in the last year that I've been moved onto insulin in conjunction with Metformin. I'm in a position now where I feel personally happy with my day-to-day blood readings (I'm down to 7 or 8 from 17+ daily), however, my morning blood readings are always high.

I was previously on a morning routine of Abasaglar, which lowered my morning readings from 20+ to 13, after which I could not get my morning readings any lower no matter what I did. And at one point I was on 140 units, and, still, it did nothing.

Recently I've been placed on a new injection (Tresiba) and take 110 units in a morning in place of Abasaglae. This has brought my morning bloods down to 12. In desperation I even upped the shot (rather foolishly perhaps) to 140 units and, still, nothing. The results remain identical as if I was still on 110 units.

I suppose the question is: what gives? What else can I do?

I rotate my shot sites, I do everything I've been told I should be doing, but because I need a cataract operation and because I have been told I need to sign a waver unless I can reduce my hba1c (my last two readings have been 91 - a personal best given it used to be 120), I'm beginning to panic slightly. I'm desperate to get my morning bloods down and thus lower my overall hba1c, but nothing seems to be working.

Anyone been in a similar boat?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say nothing - are you eating the normal diet full of carbohydrate as advised for many diabetics?

Have you tried - for instance eating a little less carbohydrate for each meal and seeing if it lowers your morning reading over the course of a few days, though they are the last ones to show a response and after meal readings go down first, as a rule.

For me, fewer carbs was the key, I needed to do nothing else to drop my test results to normal - so I am rather down on the idea of the eatwell plate and 'healthy' carbs - I burnt the diet sheet I was given for 'lowering cholesterol' and which increased my weight to 264lb.

Reactions: ixi1429

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds as though one of your problems is insulin resistance. This means you need more and more insulin to clear the glucose from your blood stream. The more insulin you inject (plus any natural insulin) the worse the insulin resistance becomes .... and the worse the IR is, the more insulin you need. It is a vicious circle.

One way to improve matters is to reduce carbs sufficiently. All carbs turn to glucose in the system, so the fewer we eat the less glucose there will be, and the less insulin we need.

Can you tell us your typical days food?

Graham76

When you say nothing - are you eating the normal diet full of carbohydrate as advised for many diabetics?

Have you tried - for instance eating a little less carbohydrate for each meal and seeing if it lowers your reading over the course of a few days.

For me, fewer carbs was the key, I needed to do nothing else to drop my test results to normal - so I am rather down on the idea of the eatwell plate and 'healthy' carbs - I burnt the diet sheet I was given for 'lowering cholesterol' and which increased my weight to 264lb.

As a general rule I don't have a great deal of carbs in a day. I usually have 2 slices of granary bread for breakfast (on the days I don't have scrambled egg) and salad at lunch. My evening meal might occasionally have a few more carbs than it should (always in what I think is moderation), but as a general rule I tend to stick to what works for me. But then again I was told not to go without carbs entirely.

As for weight, I eat next to nothing and seem to have put it on.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Two slices of bread is probably around 40gm carbs - more than I eat in a day! Possibly you are eating more carbs than you realise. Milk cpntains carbs so every white tea or coffee is carby. What carbs do you have for evening meal? Could you try cutting out carbs for a week or two and see what happens? This would mean cutting out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and substituting in more fat for energy.
Do you have a meter and test your BG pre- and post meals?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with the other members but with a note of caution, if you do decide to reduce your carb intake then do it slowly and gradually. Make sure that you test a little more often to waylay any risk of hypos and as you lower the amount of insulin you need to cover your reduced carb intake you should (fingers crossed) begin to see a stalling of weight gain and then some weight loss. Good luck.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But then again I was told not to go without carbs entirely.

Most of us are told this. The NHS guidelines recommend we eat carbs with every meal, and plenty of starchy ones. This known as The Eatwell Plate, and is completely unsuitable for diabetics. If all carbs convert to sugar in the system, why on earth should we be eating them? It is wrong advice, but the tide is turning as more and more GPs and experts are advocating low carb.

Perhaps give it a try for a couple of weeks? I bet you are surprised at how much less insulin you need, but you must test regularly.

Reactions: Sue192

Graham76

It sounds as though one of your problems is insulin resistance. This means you need more and more insulin to clear the glucose from your blood stream. The more insulin you inject (plus any natural insulin) the worse the insulin resistance becomes .... and the worse the IR is, the more insulin you need. It is a vicious circle.

One way to improve matters is to reduce carbs sufficiently. All carbs turn to glucose in the system, so the fewer we eat the less glucose there will be, and the less insulin we need.

Can you tell us your typical days food?

Usually breakfast will consist of scrambled egg and tomato. On the days there's no egg I'll just have 2 slices of granary toast.

Lunch is usually soup and a small salad. Maybe with 2 cracker bread. Not always though.

Evening meal can occasionally be a little loser but not by much. In thinking evening meal might be the issue. Though I thought it wasn't carb heavy.

Graham76

Two slices of bread is probably around 40gm carbs - more than I eat in a day! Possibly you are eating more carbs than you realise. Milk cpntains carbs so every white tea or coffee is carby. What carbs do you have for evening meal? Could you try cutting out carbs for a week or two and see what happens? This would mean cutting out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and substituting in more fat for energy.
Do you have a meter and test your BG pre- and post meals?

According to the packet I eat 26 grams of carb a day. That cant be too much for me can it??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually breakfast will consist of scrambled egg and tomato. On the days there's no egg I'll just have 2 slices of granary toast.

Lunch is usually soup and a small salad. Maybe with 2 cracker bread. Not always though.

Evening meal can occasionally be a little loser but not by much. In thinking evening meal might be the issue. Though I thought it wasn't carb heavy.

There are carbs in everything, including lettuce. The trick is to know approximately how many. Soup, for example. Is it a tin/box? The nutritional label on the package will tell you how many total carbs there are, same with any other packaged food. Your loaf of bread will also have the carb count on the wrapper unless it is freshly baked. The cracker breads will also have it.

What did you have last night for dinner?

Graham76

Most of us are told this. The NHS guidelines recommend we eat carbs with every meal, and plenty of starchy ones. This known as The Eatwell Plate, and is completely unsuitable for diabetics. If all carbs convert to sugar in the system, why on earth should we be eating them? It is wrong advice, but the tide is turning as more and more GPs and experts are advocating low carb.

Perhaps give it a try for a couple of weeks? I bet you are surprised at how much less insulin you need, but you must test regularly.

I was told i had to eat carbs because of the insulin. Humalog

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

You would be surprised at where the carbs can hide. If it is tinned soup check the nutritional label for the amount of carbohydrates bearing in mind it might be 'per serving' instead of per 100 ml.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There are carbs in everything, including lettuce. The trick is to know approximately how many. Soup, for example. Is it a tin/box? The nutritional label on the package will tell you how many total carbs there are, same with any other packaged food. Your loaf of bread will also have the carb count on the wrapper unless it is freshly baked. The cracker breads will also have it.

What did you have last night for dinner?

Typing at the same time. Have you mistaken me for BB? lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told i had to eat carbs because of the insulin. Humalog

Plenty of insulin users are low carb, and feel all the better for it. You just have to watch out for possible hypos, and testing will help with this, plus starting slowly and building up gradually, and being aware you will need to reduce your insulin doses (Humalog) according to the carbs you are about to eat. Do you know how to do this?

Reactions: ianpspurs

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say that you're particularly worried about your morning readings. What are your bedtime readings like and what are your readings after you've eaten breakfast?

Graham76

You say that you're particularly worried about your morning readings. What are your bedtime readings like and what are your readings after you've eaten breakfast?

I generally go to bed with readings of about 8 - a 50 unit shot of Humalog with food. 2 hours after breakfast im about 10. Another 2 hours after that and I'm down to 7 or 8. Occasionally a fraction lower.