Do you feel that diabetes has ruined your life ?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi everyone and everybody

In fact I sometimes i feel that diabetes has ruined my life

I ask myself why I am ?

Is it a matter of luck ? Or is it inevitable ? Or I was not on the right track

Are several questions

What about you dear? Do you feel what I feel?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite the opposite! I had ignored my health, especially my increasing weight for many more years than I care to count. I’ve lost over five stone (over 32kgs) since diagnosis and feel so much better. I didn’t realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better. Every cloud :happy:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many worse conditions than diabetes .... I know, I've had a couple of them.
Diabetes made me focus on my health and take responsibility for it. It motivated me to lose a lot of weight enabling me to feel good and to buy lovely clothes instead of tents.

I look on it as a blessing.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
At first I was devastated but not for myself, I worried for my sons. What had I possibly passed onto them and to my grandchildren, how would they cope if I were to die? So many worries.
It will soon be one year since my diagnosis of T2 and with all that I have learned from the members here I no longer have those worries and my health has improved greatly.

Did I do something wrong? Certainly not, there is no blame attached to this condition. Bad luck? Possibly, but there is no point on dwelling on luck.

Hope for the future? Yes! And more importantly I am more hopeful about the future health of my family as knowledge filters down to them.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quite the opposite! I had ignored my health, especially my increasing weight for many more years than I care to count. I’ve lost over five stone (over 32kgs) since diagnosis and feel so much better. I didn’t realise how poorly I was feeling til I felt better. Every cloud :happy:
Fantastic weight loss! Well done.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to echo @Rachox and @Bluetit1802 . I am far more healthy than I was even 6 months ago. I have lost 3 stone, I can walk for hours effortlessly (well apart from my poor old knees complaining) I savour my food now rather than stuffing tasteless rubbish in my face as quickly as I can, and I have so much more energy. I'm buying new clothes all the time as I go down a size, and I feel good in my clothes. I currently have 2 carrier bags full of 'tents' waiting to go to a charity shop. This is the happiest I have been for years. I just wish I had been diagnosed earlier!

Reactions: Olufisayo

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I'm losing weight is the worst thing for me

I had to change my clothes
I agree with you that I have become more interested in my health

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone and everybody

In fact I sometimes i feel that diabetes has ruined my life

I ask myself why I am ?

Is it a matter of luck ? Or is it inevitable ? Or I was not on the right track

Are several questions

What about you dear? Do you feel what I feel?
I'm sometimes rather irritated by it especially because the insulin and definitely not my diet which has made me put on weight since "diagnosis"

Craigh82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I became diabetic nearly a year ago through illness. It sucks being diabetic but just accepted it and got on with it. I'm on the libre now and it's taught me alot about my diabetes. I eat what I want I don't follow a diet I just limit my intake of rubbish food and take more insulin.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes was a kick in the bum and a big wake up call for me.

I was a very healthy athlete until I lost control of my binge eating of all rubbish and unhealthy foods that I ballooned to almost 15 stones!

Now I’m back to 11.5 stones, feel great and an HBA1C of “38” (Feb 2018).

The Consultant endocrinologist said I actually “reversed” my diabetes and now in remission!

Now that is a big fight back against diabetes so never ever give up!!!

I have now become more focused on healthy living, responsible and disciplined with myself for a longer, healthier and a brighter future!

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes.
It makes me anxious every second of every day and I check my blood sugar every hour and a half in the night so I will never get a full night's sleep again. I cannot enjoy eating anything. I cannot go abroad. I am tired all the time and I am permanently on edge.

Reactions: Freema

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosis has been a turning point for me, I am now looking after myself much better and my health is improving, which it wasn't before on many repeated low fat diets, which I persisted with even though I was gaining weight every year. Having to deal with my diabetes is making me take the bull by the horns and be determined to have a healthy life.

Reactions: Guzzler

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely no. I struggled with it at first (I am 48 and was barely overweight and ran regularly so it was a big surprise). I am managing it through diet now and I can honestly say I am healthier now by any measure then I have been in years. And I thought I was in pretty good shape a year ago! I feel great and now know my body doesn't deal well with carbs. If i watch them I can manage this and that is what I will do.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think age is a key factor in this

Someone who eats and drinks what he wants in his life may have lived a lot I think not the same!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Getting a true in depth diagnosis and gaining the knowledge necessary to control my condition, has saved my life, not changed it!
Me, myself and I changed my lifestyle to suit my body and how it works.
That knowledge, which a lot of was garnered on this forum helped me decide which course of action to change my life and my future health.
If not for my endocrinologist, I don't believe that I would be here now!
I am now in perfect health thanks to a very low carb lifestyle!
Being proactive instead of reactive (sorry!) Is always a better alternative!