Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several posts have now been deleted.
Any further posts making personal attacks or quoting and retaliating to personal attacks will also be deleted.

Anyone struggling to understand the forum rules on civil behaviour can contact the mod team by PM for individual guidance if they like.

Reactions: lindijanice

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm behind Dcukmod, aren't they the top bloke on here?
This is their site?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm behind Dcukmod, aren't they the top bloke on here?
This is their site?

Thanks for your support, although your assessment of me and my position isn't correct.

Please stick to the thread topic, which doesn't relate to me. Thank you.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your support, although your assessment of me and my position isn't correct.

Please stick to the thread topic, which doesn't relate to me. Thank you.

No probs,
But that tag must mean you are someone on here ?

Either way, my apologies if I seemed sexist,it's just a way of speaking, I'm too old to change it, respect to anyone of any sex, I can outdrive anyone, and then they can outdrive me.
To me 'lads' mean people. nothing more.
I'd say some of the opposite sex, but then I'd get into more arguments.
I reckon this politically correct way means I can't hold a door open for some, and I can't respect some that can back a rig down a path god wouldn't expect it to fit down, so I have no idea what 'equality' means.
To me, it means people are people.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@jcbman

You may be interested in the work done by Prof. Tim Noakes. His lectures and interviews are on youtube.

He is an advocate of LCHF after discovering that carb loading for athletes not only is risky but does not work as well as fuelling by fat. I would highly recommend reading of or viewing his insights.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jcbman

You may be interested in the work done by Prof. Tim Noakes. His lectures and interviews are on youtube.

He is an advocate of LCHF after discovering that carb loading for athletes not only is risky but does not work as well as fuelling by fat. I would highly recommend reading of or viewing his insights.

I looked at that stuff.
But he's completely blown off by the Olympics winners?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I looked at that stuff.
But he's completely blown off by the Olympics winners?

And the winners of The Iron Man Competition? And the Iron Woman Competition?

Can't be easy to 'blow off' a leading expert in the field of Sports Science.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that for professional sports people, when an event lasts more than 2 or 3 hours, "running on fat" becomes an option, once the event lasts a lot longer "running on fat" looks like it is clearly the best option. But for none professional, due to our smaller glycogen stores, it may be a time as short as 30 minutes.....

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the winners of The Iron Man Competition? And the Iron Woman Competition?

Can't be easy to 'blow off' a leading expert in the field of Sports Science.
No idea mate
Were totally wrong in the Olympics then?
You're better than the trainers ?
Get in there for the next games

Reactions: Brihtric

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No idea mate
Were totally wrong in the Olympics then?
You're better than the trainers ?
Get in there for the next games

I would gladly compete in the Electric Wheelchair Marathon :D

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Rock on. that's a cool label you have there.
Hi jcbman-Looking for doers? I'm not Olympic level but doing fine for a 63 year old. I was diagnosed with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) 23 years ago. 13 years ago I was diagnosed pre-diabetic. I work out at the gym almost daily. I say almost because some days I do a 5 mile hike in fairly rough terrain, it takes me about 2 hours 45 minutes. Or swim a metric mile (1,650 meters).....Oh did I tell you I do this in the morning after having a cup of coffee with a tablespoon of half and half (cream). When I was younger I would eat carbs and energy bars during my work outs. Now that I'm eating Keto for dinner, I don't feel hungry. I only eat 1 meal a day Mon-Fri. The intermittent fasting and Keto diet has kept my weight down and kept me from getting Diabetes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thing about the Olympics is that the medals tables are a poor measure when you think about the 'Spirit Of The Games'. For instance, who doesn't smile when Usain Bolt wins Gold? Yet he is from a tiny country with poor facilities and poor funding. We cheer him on, or we did while he was still competing, because he is a shining example of athletic prowess and he is a great ambassador for the Olympic spirit.

Just my two penn'orth.

Reactions: LooperCat

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still trying to get my head round how your body signals an energy deficit if you are fat fuelled (as you don't hit the wall a couple of hours in) and also why you feel physically tired the next day. Is this just your body being slow to clear metabolic wastes from your exercise?

Once more unto the Volek & Phinney, dear friends!

Isn't there something about muscle inflammation?
I confess it is a long while since I read Art of LC by V&P, and Art of LC Performance was interesting but not really relevant to my life and activity levels. But I have vague memories of reading about muscle changes for several days after athleticism. Of course there are changes for glucose burners too, but I am talking about the specifics of sport while fat burning.

Megz1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just thought I would note that I went out for a 20+ mile group cycle ride on Saturday fuelled by my morning butter+cream+coffee and just had a black coffee at our rest stop (rent, really for the use of the table) whilst the rest tucked into cakes and stuff. Still going strong at the end.

So I conclude that I must be running on fats for energy.

I note that keto-adapted athletes often don't show ketones in their blood once they are fully adapted. I do, but then again I wouldn't class myself as an athlete.

I'm still trying to get my head round how your body signals an energy deficit if you are fat fuelled (as you don't hit the wall a couple of hours in) and also why you feel physically tired the next day. Is this just your body being slow to clear metabolic wastes from your exercise?

Once more unto the Volek & Phinney, dear friends!

I've been Keto adapted for 6 months now, I find that after a while urine ketones stop reading but my blood ketones stay above 1...... we originally started as we do obstacle course racing and having a low body fat percentage is a great advantage for racing..... the benefits I find is that I don't hit the wall as well as training such as strength or high intensity that use to give me a glucose level spike is no longer..... I also have less lows when exercising..... having stable sugars makes a major impact to my performance which is why I live by Keto...... I tend to still recover well and am not tired the next day..... maybe look at your diet to make sure you taking in enough fats to keep your energy going the next day..... I am out in South Africa but it looks like we might be moving over to the U.K...... am interested to find out if the medical world approves of the Keto diet in the U.K...... some work with it out here some hate it..... personally I think it works of done properly which is harder than people realize..... I run mainly on a background insulin dose doing almost no additional meal bolus

Reactions: lefeilouss

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
we need a few more golds.
If all the malarkey is the best, why aren't the boys seeing it?
Don't give me the rubbish on not trying it, of course they have.
Our boys can read.

Hi jcbman. You do realize the the opening post here was about a 67 y.o. cycling 20 miles, right. To compare this with Olympic level sports is a complete straw man argument. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man Actually it's about as classic an example of a straw man argument as I've ever seen.

The point that the op is making is that they can still perform significant levels of exercise, whilst maintaining excellent blood glucose control, using an LCHF diet.

If you want to argue about what is the best diet for a non diabetic Olympic athlete, then that is clearly another debate entirely. In events that require intense bursts of energy then I agree, most will favour high carb. In events that require great endurance however, many athletes are finding favour with high fat diets. None of this however is particularly relevant to the diabetic, for whom a high carb diet is not an option.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi LittleGreyCat. Before going LCHF and getting my blood sugar levels under control, I literally couldn't exercise so much without getting incredible fatigue (there and then). Now that I use LCHF I can exercise for a lot longer (I also cycle). Like yourself, I often do feel a fair bit of fatigue the day after, but I put it down to just the greater level of exercise that I did (the previous day). :)

Reactions: LittleGreyCat