Running on fat!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just thought I would note that I went out for a 20+ mile group cycle ride on Saturday fuelled by my morning butter+cream+coffee and just had a black coffee at our rest stop (rent, really for the use of the table) whilst the rest tucked into cakes and stuff. Still going strong at the end.

So I conclude that I must be running on fats for energy.

I note that keto-adapted athletes often don't show ketones in their blood once they are fully adapted. I do, but then again I wouldn't class myself as an athlete.

I'm still trying to get my head round how your body signals an energy deficit if you are fat fuelled (as you don't hit the wall a couple of hours in) and also why you feel physically tired the next day. Is this just your body being slow to clear metabolic wastes from your exercise?

Once more unto the Volek & Phinney, dear friends!

Reactions: Brunneria

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oh well done!

I don't fully understand the mechanisms myself, I just know that fat is a far more efficient fuel than carbs.
I do not remember Phinney mentioning why the lactate takes so long to rear its ugly head. When you find out let us know, please.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cant't really see it being the dogs whatsits to be honest.
Let's face it, if our lads are being dragged up for a better shell suit, they'd be living on the butter cream and coffee if they could get that bit more.

Result only matter, so if the lads out there aren't keto whatever, it really can't cut it can it?

Not that I have anything against a coffee, (well, never had my coffee buttered, I'd probably drop the cup to be honest), but no way on earth it can work, or all the top lads would be doing it if it made them even a gnats thingy better.
Pipe dream I think.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's face it, if our lads are being dragged up for a better shell suit, they'd be living on the butter cream and coffee if they could get that bit more.

Result only matter, so if the lads out there aren't keto whatever, it really can't cut it can it?

Not that I have anything against a coffee, (well, never had my coffee buttered, I'd probably drop the cup to be honest), but no way on earth it can work, or all the top lads would be doing it if it made them even a gnats thingy better.
Pipe dream I think.
What like this guy you mean...
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/201...led-chris-froome-three-tour-de-france-titles/

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Pipe dream I think.
A lot of top endurance athletes seem to be using it with great success, from what a quick google search tells me...

Reactions: Simon84

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think of the medals we're missing.
Guess the Olympics are a for us miss then.
So it's a shame we missed out on the golds?
I guess the bright boys need google (or you) to put them right?

'rest day?' Your link

High carb chunky monkey ice cream and pasta on the race day maybe?

Lets keep it real, I've seen lot's of dreamers in my time.

It certainly seems to be the way to go for endurance sports..

Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you..

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse does training sessions for the London marathon and he said the best athletes are on the coffee.
Please don’t be rude and call people’s names experience “rubbish”
We are all different and if this works for people then let support them.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It certainly seems to be the way to go for endurance sports..

Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you..

I'm not an Olympian.

If you reckon your diet can stomp all over them, you go get us the medals.
Can't do better than that you?
(believing is c**p, doing is good for me)

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So,
if this coffee stuff is the bees knees, how do we get our teams on board, 'cos we need a few more golds.
If all the malarkey is the best, why aren't the boys seeing it?
Don't give me the rubbish on not trying it, of course they have.
Our boys can read.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not sure why you’re being so aggressive, is there a deeper issue here?

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure why you’re being so aggressive, is there a deeper issue here?
Deeper than what?
You seem to be really aggressive and irrate?
You aren't an athlete that missed out are you?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have no interest in sport, but I do have an interest in how keto can help my glucose management, and as someone with a science background, I like to read around a subject I’m interested in and have a rational conversation about it without resorting to hyperbole.

All this “the boys” stuff though - you do realise that 46% of the U.K. Winter Olympics team are women, don’t you?

Reactions: archersuz

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that he was being overly aggressive too. I think it’s called tunnel vision and if you don’t agree with him, then he acts like a child and uses the most basic street language.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no interest in sport, but I do have an interest in how keto can help my glucose management, and as someone with a science background, I like to read around a subject I’m interested in and have a rational conversation about it without resorting to hyperbole.

All this “the boys” stuff though - you do realise that 46% of the U.K. Winter Olympics team are women, don’t you?

So, you reckon that's an issue?
Some sort of sexist thing makes keto betto?
Can't see it myself.
But if it's an issue for you, go for it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep it civil folks. Aggressive posts are not required.

Anyone disagreeing with another members posts may challenge them, but politely and with a counter argument. Aggression or insults will not be tolerated.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep it civil folks. Aggressive posts are not required.

Anyone disagreeing with another members posts may challenge them, but politely and with a counter argument. Aggression or insults will not be tolerated.

Rock on. that's a cool label you have there.