Prescription denied

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My last request for more blood glucose test strips has been rejected. I had to ring up to find out why and my GP claims I use too many. I admit I use a lot, perhaps 15 or more a day. However, a chunk of those are wasted as my freestyle optium neo loves to give out error codes for no reason.

I've always justified my usage as I'm a competitive power-lifting closing in on south east records, I won't say which records as I want to be anonymous but I'd have no problem telling my doctors. The majority of my testing is related to lifting.

My endocrinologist is happy with my testing and control, he's even written a letter to my GP before saying pretty much 'give him what he wants'. However, it's been a while since I've seen him as my appointment has been postponed twice, almost 1 year. Whenever I do go to the proper diabetic appointment they always praise me with how well controlled I am and I'm currently 12ish years in with no complications.

It seems they want me to go see my GP to 'discuss' or perhaps them try to intimidate me into using less strips, but why would I see my GP about something like this? Surely an appointment with my proper diabetic doctor would be the only way to solve potential issues, but that's not happening till autumn this year.

Right now they say they're not 'denying' my strips but rather 'rejecting' them. Not sure what the difference is here. If I didn't have backups from last months prescription I would probably run out in 2 days and be totally out of strips. I'm currently involved in a competition and can't even see my GP, I won't be around for a few days. I can probably make my strips last but how is this even legal?

Thanks in advance.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi,

My last request for more blood glucose test strips has been rejected. I had to ring up to find out why and my GP claims I use too many. I admit I use a lot, perhaps 15 or more a day. However, a chunk of those are wasted as my freestyle optium neo loves to give out error codes for no reason.

I've always justified my usage as I'm a competitive power-lifting closing in on south east records, I won't say which records as I want to be anonymous but I'd have no problem telling my doctors. The majority of my testing is related to lifting.

My endocrinologist is happy with my testing and control, he's even written a letter to my GP before saying pretty much 'give him what he wants'. However, it's been a while since I've seen him as my appointment has been postponed twice, almost 1 year. Whenever I do go to the proper diabetic appointment they always praise me with how well controlled I am and I'm currently 12ish years in with no complications.

It seems they want me to go see my GP to 'discuss' or perhaps them try to intimidate me into using less strips, but why would I see my GP about something like this? Surely an appointment with my proper diabetic doctor would be the only way to solve potential issues, but that's not happening till autumn this year.

Right now they say they're not 'denying' my strips but rather 'rejecting' them. Not sure what the difference is here. If I didn't have backups from last months prescription I would probably run out in 2 days and be totally out of strips. I'm currently involved in a competition and can't even see my GP, I won't be around for a few days. I can probably make my strips last but how is this even legal?

Thanks in advance.
Can i suggest speaking to your endocrinologist or his secretary and explaining the situation, and asking them to contact your GP regarding this? It will normally carry more weight coming from them - worth a try!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NHS prescriptions are to support your health not your hobby. Why not buy the extra strips you need because of testing in relation to weightlifting?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a situation between my doc surgery and the endocrinologist. Quite a different situ than yours, but also somewhat similar.

The doc surgery conducted a medication review on the phone. I found this refreshingly convenient. However, as a result of the review they inexplicably decided to discontinue a medication I have been on for nearly 20 years (cabergoline, supresses excess prolactin production from a pituitary gland tumour).

Once I got over my astonishment, I rang the endocrinology clinic, spoke to the secretary and explained the situation. Asked for my next appt to be brought forward to the next possible date, which was 2 months later.

However, I was delighted to receive a letter within the week. Written by my lovely endo, addressed to my doc, copied to me. It stated v clearly that the medication should continue until the endocrinology clinic states otherwise, in writing.

I had the prescription from my doc within 2 days of that letter.

I should give your clinic a ring tomorrow. They have probably dealt with this situation quite often, especially with budgets tightening. (my cabergoline is not a cheap drug)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
NHS prescriptions are to support your health not your hobby. Why not buy the extra strips you need because of testing in relation to weightlifting?

I agree. It seems very reasonable to me, as a tax payer, that the strips you require for your power lifting could be self funded.

Reactions: Cookie16

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Says who? Was me getting referred to a physiotherapist due to an injury affecting weightlifting a mistake by my GP?

My endocrinologist knows about my lifting has told me to use whatever I need to ensure good glucose control, not live my life like a potato to avoid costs. I'm going to believe my endocrinologist over you.

Not only that but thinking back I've had rejections in the past before I even started lifting. I use a lot of strips and the results I get show I'm extremely well controlled. Any complications would likely cost far more than the strips I use.

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. It seems very reasonable to me, as a tax payer, that the strips you require for your power lifting could be self funded.

I've already replied to this and said I used more than they liked before lifting.

Not only that but I completely disagree. Anyone with an illness not caused by themselves shouldn't have to live their lives in a certain way to justify having a prescription.

And furthermore, my endocrinologist literally suggested picking up an exercise and likes that I do it. Having a south east record isn't as extreme and it sounds, I exercise 3 times a week at home and that's it.

Reactions: kev-w

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Munkle . Welcome to the forum.
By your own admission you waste a lot of strips due to a misbehaving meter. I don't think is something that will help your argument here.
Get a more reliable and usable meter, don't admit to wasting strips ( which for some are extremely difficult to come by ) and you may get more positive feedback.

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Munkle . Welcome to the forum.
By your own admission you waste a lot of strips due to a misbehaving meter. I don't think is something that will help your argument here.
Get a more reliable and usable meter, don't admit to wasting strips ( which for some are extremely difficult to come by ) and you may get more positive feedback.

It's the metre prescribed in my area. If I asked for a new one they'd give me the same model. My auntie has the same one and has said the same thing and even mentioned it to her doctors. I'm not going to pay for something that's not my fault.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Munkle . I have always used Freestyle meters. Optium xceed and for the past year or so Optium neo.
Only error code I get with neo is low battery, for some reason these meters eat batteries, which could be a reason you maybe experiencing problems considering your testing regularity.
If the meter is faulty, simply contact Abbotts and request a new one.
What is the error code you receive?

Reactions: Garway

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Munkle . I have always used Freestyle meters. Optium xceed and for the past year or so Optium neo.
Only error code I get with neo is low battery, for some reason these meters eat batteries, which could be a reason you maybe experiencing problems considering your testing regularity.
If the meter is faulty, simply contact Abbotts and request a new one.
What is the error code you receive?

Most common are e3 and e7, however e3 occurs before I even starting putting blood onto it. I would say it's this specific metre but I requested another because of it and have the same issue. I was using an old optium xceed because of it but that's finally died.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most common are e3 and e7, however e3 occurs before I even starting putting blood onto it. I would say it's this specific metre but I requested another because of it and have the same issue. I was using an old optium xceed because of it but that's finally died.
When my neo refuses to work my first port of call is the batteries, I've probably changed the batteries 4 times in a year as opposed to the xceed whose single battery lasted close on to a year.
One other thing I noticed with the neo is the importance of keeping the portal/ strip insertion point clean and dirt free.
My meter refused to acknowledge strips, cleaned portal and it worked fine afterwards.

D

Deleted Account

Have you thought about something like a Libre?
It could be interesting to compare the costs of the Libre over 15 strips a day. The Libre would not remove all of the strip usage but could cut it back drastically.

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
B my rough calculations at NHS prices 15 strips a day vs Libre and one or two strips a day is approximately a break even ie they cost about the same. I aggressively manage my T1 by testing about 25 times a day. On that regime I have reduced my HbA1c substantially (8.5 to 6.5 %). However, the catch is that makes me “too well” to be funded for Libre even though 25 tests a day with test strips is twice the price. Stupid or what?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B my rough calculations at NHS prices 15 strips a day vs Libre and one or two strips a day is approximately a break even ie they cost about the same. I aggressively manage my T1 by testing about 25 times a day. On that regime I have reduced my HbA1c substantially (8.5 to 6.5 %). However, the catch is that makes me “too well” to be funded for Libre even though 25 tests a day with test strips is twice the price. Stupid or what?
Assuming you don't test during the night that is a test about every 40 mins. What are all these test for?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Great job with your sports hobby @Munkle. I liked @Brunneria 's advice.
Other' s advice about keeping your meter clean and room temperature does effect all the meter's batteries.
If you search this forum you'll discover the winter weather effect on our meters and their performance on batteries from the cold.
Try and manage your meter as best you can. We all have limitations to our diabetes care, in whichever country we live.
I guess all GPs will ask a little more from us with our healthcare when some are very incapable.
Do you think you can make a change resulting in less tests?
Is your good control with any predictability since your diet needs you to be consistant for competitions?
Or is your personality a one of constant worry when competing. Hijacking your good work?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd work on cutting the number of wasted ones and argue your point with your GP inviting him to write to your consultant.

Other than that I'd not worry about how many you use if your bloods are right as that's the point of them.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What a load of absolute cr*p, he's a T1 and should be able to test whenever he needs to test, and whilst undertaking a hobby to support his health he is more than justified in his usage of them.

I'd guess 2 of my 6 packs of 50 a month are used for exercise, if not more...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a load of absolute cr*p, he's a T1 and should be able to test whenever he needs to test, and whilst undertaking a hobby to support his health he is more than justified in his usage of them.

I'd guess 2 of my 6 packs of 50 a month are used for exercise, if not more...

I have no strong opinion either way, but the exact same could be said for T2 - sadly the great majority of us have to self fund, either totally or supplementing our pitifully small supply - I get 50 strips every two months and I'm on gliclizide- mind you this a 100% improvement on the zero amount I got for 3 years

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no strong opinion either way, but the exact same could be said for T2 - sadly the great majority of us have to self fund, either totally or supplementing our pitifully small supply - I get 50 strips every two months and I'm on gliclizide- mind you this a 100% improvement on the zero amount I got for 3 years

That is appalling @lovinglife
Do you drive?