Ice Cream/Popsicles

Hotpepper20000

I cant have any sugar at all, so thats not on optionf or me either, but I dont want added sweet, I just want something to make it less like

35% or whipping cream is $4 for 500, and $7 for 1l. I buy the 18% because it's the cheapest at $4 per l.
Wow that’s almost twice what I pay in western Canada.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly have no idea what heavy cream is. All the keto blogs and posts say to use it but nothing is labeled as heavy where I am. Is it just 35%, or whipping cream?

Hi tk123. Are you in USA or Canada?

Anyway, it seems that the naming of different creams depends on your country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream#Canada

Here in Australia standard cream is 36% and double cream is anywhere from 48% to 60%.
In the UK standard in 36% and double is 48% +

BTW. Prices of cream and butter have gone up a lot in recent years unfortunately. Several years ago butter fat was almost considered poison here, due to the relentless low fat push and an almost demonization of fat. After recent studies finding several health problems associated with low fat dairy, but not with full fat products, the demand for low fat stuff has reduced, and hence cost of butter fat has risen sharply. The main reason is actually just that not so many people want skimmed or reduced fat milk these days, so there is less available for them to skim off to make butter and cream and cheese.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll see if I can find any recipies with cream cheese in them!

I honestly have no idea what heavy cream is. All the keto blogs and posts say to use it but nothing is labeled as heavy where I am. Is it just 35%, or whipping cream?
Had a quick look at creams available in Canada- yep whipping cream or cooking cream - it's slightly less fat than our double cream at 35% but should be fine :)

Recipes with cream cheese any recipe you have should work if you replace half the cream with softened (well beaten) cream cheese :)

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi tk123. Are you in USA or Canada?

Anyway, it seems that the naming of different creams depends on your country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream#Canada

Here in Australia standard cream is 36% and double cream is anywhere from 48% to 60%.
In the UK standard in 36% and double is 48% +

BTW. Prices of cream and butter have gone up a lot in recent years unfortunately. Several years ago butter fat was almost considered poison here, due to the relentless low fat push and an almost demonization of fat. After recent studies finding several health problems associated with low fat dairy, but not with full fat products, the demand for low fat stuff has reduced, and hence cost of butter fat has risen sharply. The main reason is actually just that not so many people want skimmed or reduced fat milk these days, so there is less available for them to skim off to make butter and cream and cheese.

Im Canadian.
Yeah, butten is generally $5 for the off brand. Im lucky if I can get it cheaper. It's often much more.
Reading the wiki; "Heavy cream must be at least 36%." 35% is the highest possible cream/fat content I can get in my area. I cant afford it unless its 50% off due to being expired the next day. I've gotten it that way before, and I honestly hate the taste of it in my drinks, so we only buy it for cooking.

I absolutely LOVED 1% milk though, probably why I dislike cream taste.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I think any kind of fat added would soften it a bit. Cream, coconut butter, avocado etc.
I would also add some salt. They use it on frozen streets because it lowers the temp required to freeze water. I think it also makes the ice crystals smaller. My grandmother also added it to fruit to increase the sweet factor. Don’t know why, but it seemed to work.
I’ll leave it up to you to figure out new flavors for your almond milk ice cream.

Reactions: Mufflana