Ice Cream/Popsicles

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please read carefully, I am HIGHLY allergic to ALL sweeteners, please do not suggest any recipes with them including stevia.

I cant seem to find ANYTHING in google. Im looking for a popsicle (or ice cream) recipe with almond milk. I drink unsweetened chocolate version, or the vanilla. I really dont care for it being 'sweet' as the chocolate one is sweet enough for me, but I'm looking to find out how to turn it in to a popsicle or ice cream. It freezes fine on its own, but it goes completely solid like water does.

I usually freeze tube yogurt (7g net carb per tube) so Im looking for something to replace that mainly. What would give a more creamy texture that is as little carb as possible, but also mixes and freezes well?

The entire litre of the chocolate almond milk is 4g net carbs, and Im mainly looking for something I could eat multiple times a day, instead of a once a week treat. So as keto friendly as possible. Would peanutbutter work? Or almond butter?

Edit; Adding this because I realize people are just trying to help, but I absolutely, 100%, cannot eat sweeteners of ANY type. I could die. This includes any classed as 'natural'. Thanks for the help, but I really, really, cannot eat them.

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You could try adding some gelatin to it, mix and freeze. It should thicken it. Might take some experimenting.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try adding some double cream, it's the water content in the milk that makes it freeze so hard, adding fat e.g. cream will help with this - I have an icecream freezing plate I got from eBay - keep it in the freezer you can make ice cream of any concoction any time you like-

it cost about £18 and has paid for itself over and over again. I have used double cream, yogourt, creme fraiche, coconut cream. If you do use milk you will have to add something fattier like cream, you can add any flavours or bits that you fancy, I have made slushy cocktails on it too

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
How about Elmlea double "cream"? This is vegetable fat and does not freeze as hard (it says do not freeze, but I find this makes a good ice cream with a tin of boiled evaporated milk - might work with almond milk). I would suggest twice the quantity of elmlea to liquid.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about Elmlea double "cream"? This is vegetable fat and does not freeze as hard (it says do not freeze, but I find this makes a good ice cream with a tin of boiled evaporated milk - might work with almond milk). I would suggest twice the quantity of elmlea to liquid.
Have you got the carb count for these? It seems a lot of carbs - both Elmlea and evaporated milk are very high in sugar, just pointing this out as OP say they are looking for low carb options to replace a 7g carb product they use at the moment :)

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Have you got the carb count for these? It seems a lot of carbs - both Elmlea and evaporated milk are very high in sugar, just pointing this out as OP say they are looking for low carb options to replace a 7g carb product they use at the moment :)
Elmlea has 3.9g carb per 100ml and evaporated milk has 10g/ 100ml, which I agree is considerable, however as a two tablespoon serving (~30ml) this is 4.2g carbs which I don't think is too bad as a treat.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Please read carefully, I am HIGHLY allergic to ALL sweeteners, please do not suggest any recipes with them including stevia.

I cant seem to find ANYTHING in google. Im looking for a popsicle (or ice cream) recipe with almond milk. I drink unsweetened chocolate version, or the vanilla. I really dont care for it being 'sweet' as the chocolate one is sweet enough for me, but I'm looking to find out how to turn it in to a popsicle or ice cream. It freezes fine on its own, but it goes completely solid like water does.

I usually freeze tube yogurt (7g net carb per tube) so Im looking for something to replace that mainly. What would give a more creamy texture that is as little carb as possible, but also mixes and freezes well?

The entire litre of the chocolate almond milk is 4g net carbs, and Im mainly looking for something I could eat multiple times a day, instead of a once a week treat. So as keto friendly as possible. Would peanutbutter work? Or almond butter?

There are a couple of options.

1. An ice cream churn. Small electric ice cream churns are available quite cheaply these days. I bought mine from Aldi for about $20 (au). Note that commercially made ice cream has various vegetable gums and additives that stop it going rock hard. Home made ice cream comes out of the churn nice and soft and is great eaten straight away, but it will still freeze very hard.

2. Very high cream content. As mentioned above, using double cream will greatly reduce how hard it will freeze. I can see that you're definitely leaning more toward non dairy products, so though I've never tried it, I suspect that coconut oil might also work here.

3. I'll include this even though it's not necessarily an option for most diabetics, but adding a lots of mashed banana (or mashed banana and cream) to ice cream also helps stop it freezing too rock hard. Sadly of course banana is quite high in carbs.

BTW. I try to avoid sweeteners (especially artificial ones) most of the time too. But just wondering if you've ever tried the natural sweetener erythritol. I generally only use it in fairly limited quantities, but it's never given me any problems.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some good ideas here!

I’m allergic to cow’s milk, so used to drink the Alpro chocolate almond milk, I’d not thought of making ice cream with it! I’ve got a small electric ice cream machine, you have to freeze the churn for 24 hours before you can use it. Think I’m going to try making some with the milk and coconut cream...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All sweeteners? They are all so different.

Have you tried growing stevia? I did last year and the fresh leaves are very sweet.

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a couple of options.

1. An ice cream churn. Small electric ice cream churns are available quite cheaply these days. I bought mine from Aldi for about $20 (au). Note that commercially made ice cream has various vegetable gums and additives that stop it going rock hard. Home made ice cream comes out of the churn nice and soft and is great eaten straight away, but it will still freeze very hard.

2. Very high cream content. As mentioned above, using double cream will greatly reduce how hard it will freeze. I can see that you're definitely leaning more toward non dairy products, so though I've never tried it, I suspect that coconut oil might also work here.

3. I'll include this even though it's not necessarily an option for most diabetics, but adding a lots of mashed banana (or mashed banana and cream) to ice cream also helps stop it freezing too rock hard. Sadly of course banana is quite high in carbs.

BTW. I try to avoid sweeteners (especially artificial ones) most of the time too. But just wondering if you've ever tried the natural sweetener erythritol. I generally only use it in fairly limited quantities, but it's never given me any problems.

Bananas are completely off limits for me now, its what I used to use.
Any sweetener will hospitalize me. Pure stevia is the only one that doesnt cause anaphylaxis, but it makes me extremely ill and induces vomiting. Erytritol also causes the anaphylaxis.

I have no issue with dairy, but the almond choco milk has 4g carb per litre, and I absolutely LOVE chocolate milk, and I can no longer have it. What would double cream be considered in Canada? I only have access to 18% cream. (or 10%/half and half. Anything more is $7 per litre, so I cannot afford it.)

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All sweeteners? They are all so different.

Have you tried growing stevia? I did last year and the fresh leaves are very sweet.

Yes, all sweeteners. Stevia induces vomiting. The others cause anaphylaxis. They are 100% not an option for me at all.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any sweetener will hospitalize me. Pure stevia is the only one that doesnt cause anaphylaxis, but it makes me extremely ill and induces vomiting. Erytritol also causes the anaphylaxis.

I have no issue with dairy, but the almond choco milk has 4g carb per litre, and I absolutely LOVE chocolate milk, and I can no longer have it. What would double cream be considered in Canada? I only have access to 18% cream. (or 10%/half and half. Anything more is $7 per litre, so I cannot afford it.)
Double cream is heavy cream in America if that's any help - was thinking maybe cream cheese too though I've never tried it, it may be like an ice cream cheesecake and should freeze well

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think you would call double cream "heavy cream". That's certainly what our American cousins call it.

Reactions: Mufflana

Hotpepper20000

Not sure where you live in Canada but I have never spent 7$ on a Liter of cream.
I use 33 or 35% fat whipping cream.
Put in in a blender with ice and coco power and it makes a nice “icecream“
18% cream is called table cream and 10% is coffee cream. Or the other way around but the % is always on the box.

Reactions: Mufflana

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does agave nectar affect you?
I cant have any sugar at all, so thats not on optionf or me either, but I dont want added sweet, I just want something to make it less like frozen ice.

Not sure where you live in Canada but I have never spent 7$ on a Liter of cream.
I use 33 or 35% fat whipping cream.
Put in in a blender with ice and coco power and it makes a nice “icecream“
18% cream is called table cream and 10% is coffee cream. Or the other way around but the % is always on the box.

35% or whipping cream is $4 for 500, and $7 for 1l. I buy the 18% because it's the cheapest at $4 per l.

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream is heavy cream in America if that's any help - was thinking maybe cream cheese too though I've never tried it, it may be like an ice cream cheesecake and should freeze well

I'll see if I can find any recipies with cream cheese in them!

I honestly have no idea what heavy cream is. All the keto blogs and posts say to use it but nothing is labeled as heavy where I am. Is it just 35%, or whipping cream?