Is this weird?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I rarely get sick. However yesterday i woke up at like 8am with blood 4.2 i did ussuall amount of novo for breakfast. a few hours later i got a bad headache at 11am and i did my blood it was 3.6 so i just corrected tested later and it was still 3.6 so corrected again and tested and it was 4.9 so i had my lunch then. I still had a headache and too the point i felt like i was going to throw up and like 1 hour later i did. But then at supper i was able to eat more my dinner and i felt fine today. So was the throwing up just my body not cooping with the sudden change in blood sugar or just a one off thing? as before when i have been sick i throw up for at least 2-3 days. Have any of you guys had a similar thing happen? and can Hypoglycemia make you vomit?

Reactions: ainiabdul

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People have mentioned vomiting when they get really low blood sugar, but I think in general it is unusual. Illness can mess with your blood sugars - most of the time it will put them up, but perhaps you got unlucky and got low instead. Also, despite having low blood sugars, consider testing for ketones as nausea and vomiting are symptoms, and illness can sometimes cause ketones to develop.

Reactions: Lulu9101112

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rarely get sick. However yesterday i woke up at like 8am with blood 4.2 i did ussuall amount of novo for breakfast. a few hours later i got a bad headache at 11am and i did my blood it was 3.6 so i just corrected tested later and it was still 3.6 so corrected again and tested and it was 4.9 so i had my lunch then. I still had a headache and too the point i felt like i was going to throw up and like 1 hour later i did. But then at supper i was able to eat more my dinner and i felt fine today. So was the throwing up just my body not cooping with the sudden change in blood sugar or just a one off thing? as before when i have been sick i throw up for at least 2-3 days. Have any of you guys had a similar thing happen? and can Hypoglycemia make you vomit?

Those are EXACTLY the symptoms and progression of symptoms that I husband had last week.
We speculated norovirus, or a v mild bout of flu (there is a version going around that is headache and sore throat and feeling grotty, but without a lot of the other expected flu symptoms) or even possibly food poisoning.

Either way, he bounced back very quickly, and was eating sausages and craving pizza less than 48 hours from onset.

I hope you recover that quickly too!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds more like a stomach infection you got, which also disturbs the digestion and uptake of sugar from your food in your testiness and thereby you going low in bg.

Best wishes for a fast recovery!

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)

This happens to me, especially if I wake low. I get this sudden feeling of wanting to be sick but the majority of the time it fades after I have got up but I am still left confused.

I have actually vomited on occasions when I have been low though as stated it only ever seems to happen if I wake Hypo.

Headache lasts for ages even long after I have taken glucose.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lulu9101112 , what you experienced is unfortunately all a very common side effect of going too low with your bg for a period of time. Nausea and headache are frequent results of that. Some diabetics even have severe migraine type of headache when going low, which can be debilitating for hours after even having corrected and gotten the bg up in 'normal range' again.

Typically due to the stress hormones being released in your body as result, which keeps flowing in your system for many hours after the event. E.g. your glucose liver dump may also remain active for many many hours after, even if your have started eating sugar etc on your own, so the bg can go up and stay way too high for many hours afterwards also.

Best wishes for your safe recovery!

Last edited: