I've become a low carb binger..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since being diagnosed a few weeks ago and going all low carb, I now realise I have replaced the usual biscuits and general carb rubbish I was binge eating with cheese and meats.

Yesterday I had basically a whole pack of Stilton cheese, and the day before a whole packet of continental meats in one sitting.

Did this happen to anyone else? In my first week I lost 2kg, and now this week I haven't lost anything. I am worried I will end up putting on more weight due to the excess fat. I know fat isn't as bad as we are all led to believe, but excessive fat surely is?

However, the good news is, my post meal sugar level rarely exceeds 6.0! I found out yesterday a few Nairn Oat Biscuits didn't make a lot of difference.

So, what is more important, a healthy sugar level or losing weight? I know they are both important, but should one be priortised?

Sorry to ramble on!

Reactions: harryson

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since being diagnosed a few weeks ago and going all low carb, I now realise I have replaced the usual biscuits and general carb rubbish I was binge eating with cheese and meats.

Yesterday I had basically a whole pack of Stilton cheese, and the day before a whole packet of continental meats in one sitting.

Did this happen to anyone else? In my first week I lost 2kg, and now this week I haven't lost anything. I am worried I will end up putting on more weight due to the excess fat. I know fat isn't as bad as we are all led to believe, but excessive fat surely is?

However, the good news is, my post meal sugar level rarely exceeds 6.0! I found out yesterday a few Nairn Oat Biscuits didn't make a lot of difference.

So, what is more important, a healthy sugar level or losing weight? I know they are both important, but should one be priortised?

Sorry to ramble on!

Er, both.
Well, unless you're under weight.

A lot find they eat fats to excess, and pile weight on when they start the low carb thing.
High fat isn't a bottomless bucket.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Once your body becomes used to a lowered carb intake and you are eating enough fat and protein to compensate you will find that you no longer get hungry. We are so used to eating meals and snacks throughout the day before diagnosis that the habit can be hard to break, especially the snacking habit.

A high fat diet habit will only result in weight gain if it goes alongside a high carb diet.

Reactions: Livefree

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once your body becomes used to a lowered carb intake and you are eating enough fat and protein to compensate you will find that you no longer get hungry. We are so used to eating meals and snacks throughout the day before diagnosis that the habit can be hard to break, especially the snacking habit.

A high fat diet habit will only result in weight gain if it goes alongside a high carb diet.

So you reckon the op can keep on the whole pack of Stilton and the whole pack of meats forever, and still lose weight?
You're saying they are still high carb somewhere, and they''re doing the LCHF wrong?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So you reckon the op can keep on the whole pack of Stilton and the whole pack of meats forever, and still lose weight?
You're saying they are still high carb somewhere, and they''re doing the LCHF wrong?

What I am saying is that to become fat adapted (meaning using fat as fuel rather than using carbohydrate as fuel) can take weeks or months depending on the individual. The OP is fairly new to low carbing and is imo in an intermediate phase. Once fat adapted the fat in the diet does not make you fat as the energy is used. In other words, excess carbs are stored as fat whereas excess fat is excreted after a while on LCHF.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I am saying is that to become fat adapted (meaning using fat as fuel rather than using carbohydrate as fuel) can take weeks or months depending on the individual. The OP is fairly new to low carbing and is imo in an intermediate phase. Once fat adapted the fat in the diet does not make you fat as the energy is used. In other words, excess carbs are stored as fat whereas excess fat is excreted after a while on LCHF.

So, the op will start to lose weight again, continuing eating as they are?

Just trying to help.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do exercise, swimming 3/4 times a week and walking part of the way to work. I was basically saying I was replacing sugary biscuits etc with cheese!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, the op will start to lose weight again, continuing eating as they are?

Just trying to help.

That depends on the OP and his bg levels and his willingness to persevere. There are people for whom weight loss stalls but this is at a later stage and can sometimes be overcome with IF. Personally, I agree with the hypothesis of PFT but that is a topic for another thread.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my humble experience of 6+ years of lowish carbing, if i eat too many calories, of whatever sort, I will retain or put up my weight. I have to be mindful of the amount I am eating overall, as well as the amount of carbs I am eating.

as far as I am aware, there is nothing magical about fats which stop you from putting on weight if you eat too many of them for your bodies needs.

I certainly do not experience increased energy from eating more fats. Mind you, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome too.

I am interested in where the information is that excess fats are not stored, but excreted.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that is a topic for another thread.
why? the subject is bingeing on low carb foods, and weight loss stalling or even gaining weight. Anything which explores that is surely relevant.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Maybe you should try some variety as I have the same problem with nuts. What I am doing is more vegetables. Specifically baked leeks, asparagus, tomatoes, Portobello mushrooms (2 large), radishes, 1 carrot (If it doesn't spike you), Brussels, broccoli and cauliflower and some celery sticks. If you supplement your main meal with some of these, you will be too full to indulge further I would wager.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my humble experience of 6+ years of lowish carbing, if i eat too many calories, of whatever sort, I will retain or put up my weight. I have to be mindful of the amount I am eating overall, as well as the amount of carbs I am eating.

as far as I am aware, there is nothing magical about fats which stop you from putting on weight if you eat too many of them for your bodies needs.

I certainly do not experience increased energy from eating more fats. Mind you, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome too.

I am interested in where the information is that excess fats are not stored, but excreted.

Well if I eat too much of anything, I store it on my gut.
If I could find a magic food, that I could 'excrete' I'd be a happy chappy.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

FatEmperor.

We know that insulin is a fat storage driver, we know that carbs produce insulin spikes while the insulin response to fats is minimal and pretty much flatline. Some people react more than others, of course and especially to different levels of protein intake.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well if I eat too much of anything, I store it on my gut.
If I could find a magic food, that I could 'excrete' I'd be a happy chappy.
Celery really does work, it has a satisfying crunch (not for the persons in your company), it fills the gap if you are tempted to eat the house, and it can actually drop weight as the body has to work getting through the fibre.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We know that insulin is a fat storage driver, we know that carbs produce insulin spikes while the insulin response to fats is minimal and pretty much flatline. Some people react more than others, of course and especially to different levels of protein intake.

that is not the same as

Once fat adapted the fat in the diet does not make you fat as the energy is used. In other words, excess carbs are stored as fat whereas excess fat is excreted after a while on LCHF.

in the bottom quote you are claiming that excess fat is excreted, not stored. That people can eat as much fat as they wish and not gain or retain weight, as the fat is not kept in the body. I want to know the science and proof behind this.

All I have read points to it being possible for some young men to gain smaller amount of weight - calorie for calorie - eating those calories in fat rather than carbs. But still a weight gain. And the experiments rely on stable hormone levels. Not the same as being to eat as much fat as you want and the body disposing of what isnt needed.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celery really does work, it has a satisfying crunch (not for the persons in your company), it fills the gap if you are tempted to eat the house, and it can actually drop weight as the body has to work getting through the fibre.

I like fat, I hate celery.

I need magic fat I can eat in completely unlimited quantities.
Sadly, it doesn't seem to exist in the real world for me.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Your CFS may have a direct effect as per your energy as, the last time I was talking to a close freind with the condition, I learned that the problem may have a root cause (one of a few) within the mitochondria.

Status
Not open for further replies.