Bored stiff

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all. I've been on a ketogenic diet for pretty well 2-3 years. Overall I lost about 5 or 6 stones and brought my Hba1c down to completely normal levels. But at, and since, Christmas I have flipped. I am gaining weight, getting diabetic symptoms again and feeling desperate. Each time I try to return to my ketogenic eating I fail after only a day or so. I find myself thinking 'not that food AGAIN!' and turn to something bad like chocolate or pastry.

I decided I must prepare some quick and good meals and snacks so that if I wanted something fast it didn't have to be cheese, fat bomb, nuts etc. and a meal could be microwaveable in minutes. But my meals have ended up needing defrosting then oven cooking and I can't find snacks I could make in bulk and store long term and still want. I know there must be some possibilities, surely, but have now lost all oomph and motivation. Can anyone help before I undo all I have achieved? Any advice?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all. I've been on a ketogenic diet for pretty well 2-3 years. Overall I lost about 5 or 6 stones and brought my Hba1c down to completely normal levels. But at, and since, Christmas I have flipped. I am gaining weight, getting diabetic symptoms again and feeling desperate. Each time I try to return to my ketogenic eating I fail after only a day or so. I find myself thinking 'not that food AGAIN!' and turn to something bad like chocolate or pastry.

I decided I must prepare some quick and good meals and snacks so that if I wanted something fast it didn't have to be cheese, fat bomb, nuts etc. and a meal could be microwaveable in minutes. But my meals have ended up needing defrosting then oven cooking and I can't find snacks I could make in bulk and store long term and still want. I know there must be some possibilities, surely, but have now lost all oomph and motivation. Can anyone help before I undo all I have achieved? Any advice?
You go intoiyoirisupermarket and buy the raw foods you've always fancied experimenting with. Avocados? Kale? Rump steak? You dont need much just enough for one.
Or try a new supermarket to see if something different. A larger one?

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.

Snacks??? You will do your pancreas a big favor if you eat less frequent each day. When you eat is just as important as what you eat. Look up Dr. Jason Fung on You Tube and listen to what he has to say about intermittent fasting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @sunspots good to see you again!
Glad you have done so well, all that weight loss and kept it off for so long, :D

Maybe it is time to branch out into new low carb things. Low carb mug cakes. Low carb brownies. Curries. Low carb (fathead pastry) baking...?

I don’t know whether your tastes run to sweet or savoury, but there are some amazing low carb blog recipes out there, and in my experience lc baking is a lot less phaff than carby baking.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, not sure if you like cauliflower? There is a recipe on the diet doctor website for a cauliflower soup, I personally think it’s delicious. I use a medium sized cauliflower and substitute the cream cheese with grated cheese. Once it’s blitzed I have 2 good sized servings. This could be made in bigger batches and frozen.

Reactions: sunspots

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What do you like?
Eggs are fast.
Loads of snacky biscuits, using coconut flour.
I freeze everything, and totally blow of the cooking instructions, most things can be cooked solely in a microwave, in a few minutes.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, not sure if you like cauliflower? There is a recipe on the diet doctor website for a cauliflower soup, I personally think it’s delicious. I use a medium sized cauliflower and substitute the cream cheese with grated cheese. Once it’s blitzed I have 2 good sized servings. This could be made in bigger batches and frozen.

Cauli crisps.
Crunchy cauliflower in spinach and thyme.

Ok, not too fast, just snap off the cauli ends, dunk in egg, dip in blended spinach and thyme, chuck in the oven.
Eat hot, but good cold.
Last a few days in the fridge too.
(I eat junk sometimes, but I like my grub now)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cauli crisps.

Ok, not too fast, just snap off the cauli ends, dunk in egg, dip in blended spinach and thyme, chuck in the oven.
Eat hot, but good cold.
I love this idea. I'm going to try it.

Reactions: CranberryIce

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Cauli crisps.

Eat hot, but good cold.
These sound delicious and quick - just what I need! Thank you.

Reactions: CranberryIce

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I'm a LCHF devotee but I went off the rails badly before Christmas, blood glucose started to rise and put on a few pounds and, even though I was eating predominantly low-carb, more and more naughty things were sneaking in. The time of year didn't help either.

What did put me back on track was deciding to try the Newcastle Diet to get those pounds off and to try and regain control. Well, it worked, in that after two and a half weeks on the Newcastle Diet I was craving all the lovely things I had been eating while on LCHF! I didn't lose that much weight on the Newcastle either, so I returned to LCHF and, although my repertoire had been quite wide, I started trying new things.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but a rethink of what you're eating and introducing more variety may be the thing for you. Good luck.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you all for your suggestions and support. The hugs too! It all helps and has spurred me to rethink my plans and go back to my cookery books anew. Thank you! xx

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm a LCHF devotee but I went off the rails badly before Christmas, blood glucose started to rise and put on a few pounds and, even though I was eating predominantly low-carb, more and more naughty things were sneaking in. The time of year didn't help either.

What did put me back on track was deciding to try the Newcastle Diet to get those pounds off and to try and regain control. Well, it worked, in that after two and a half weeks on the Newcastle Diet I was craving all the lovely things I had been eating while on LCHF! I didn't lose that much weight on the Newcastle either, so I returned to LCHF and, although my repertoire had been quite wide, I started trying new things.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but a rethink of what you're eating and introducing more variety may be the thing for you. Good luck.

Haha!

Last edited:

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Cauliflower is great - but soup is a bit windy....!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I did the Newcastle diet.
Reversed my T2
I agree it may not be for all.
But, if you can stick to it, it works.

If you can't LCHF is good too.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hey @sunspots good to see you again!
Glad you have done so well, all that weight loss and kept it off for so long, :D

Maybe it is time to branch out into new low carb things. Low carb mug cakes. Low carb brownies. Curries. Low carb (fathead pastry) baking...?

I don’t know whether your tastes run to sweet or savoury, but there are some amazing low carb blog recipes out there, and in my experience lc baking is a lot less phaff than carby baking.
Hello Brunneria! Great to 'hear' you. I hope you are keeping well x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower is great - but soup is a bit windy....!
I honestly don’t have any problems, in fact since going low carb I don’t get bloated feeling, tender tummy or other probs.

Reactions: Babs1

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter

I know what you mean, I find watching motivational vids help me. 'Cereal Killer' makes you realise why you're doing this!!:) Diet Doctor is my go to site at the moment, I've just begun his 2 week challenge, super recipes and you can make double for the evening meal and fridge it for next days lunch, no need to freeze etc. He's got loads of ideas for snacks, but I'm being really strict for the next 2 weeks then I'll try adding them if I need them.:happy:

Reactions: AloeSvea

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your suggestions and support. The hugs too! It all helps and has spurred me to rethink my plans and go back to my cookery books anew. Thank you! xx

Hi sunspots - Do you use the internet to find LC recipes at all? When I have felt a bit "meh" about food, I usually just do a random search in Yummly. I have saved my requirements (LC, gluten-free, no kidney (yuck), spicy optional), and you'd be surprised what comes up. Some people are much more inventive cooks than I am!

From Yumml, I save in CopyMeThat, which allows me to save web recipes from all over in one place, and I usually have a supply of things I haven't ever cooked to go at when I get bored.

If I try something and don't care for it too much, I just deleted the recipe.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Snacks??? You will do your pancreas a big favor if you eat less frequent each day. When you eat is just as important as what you eat. Look up Dr. Jason Fung on You Tube and listen to what he has to say about intermittent fasting.
I think if a person wants snacks, then let them have snacks without judging or reacting as if they have just kicked a puppy. Some people are more able to be 'good' if they know they can have a snack. It might be a square of dark chocolate or even a low carb (homemade) biscuit. We are all different and can eat in different ways whilst still maintaining our health.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, it's a more than a bit of a ****** when the sweet cravings come (for me it is 'back' - definitely, my sweet tooth is always sitting there dormant and can spring back into action at a moments notice!).

And like above posters, I deal with it with a combo of fasting, and getting into the kitchen and baking up favourite old keto/LCHF recipes, or trying out a new one, and using my trusty stevia to deal with the desire for sweet. The baking can sort me out for a week ahead no worries. Then I can progress to some lovely fat bomby almond butter snacky thing. I have a snack in the afternoon, most every day not fasting or doing some experiment. My homemade keto/lchf cookies are so much better BG wise (In that the rise is minimal me being in control of the indgredients and all) than my favourite atkins bars (which sadly do raise my BG levels. I am trying to pretend they don't!) In very hot weather (as it is NZ at the mo') homemade ice cream, again sweetened with stevia, does a lot for cravings for sweet. After a couple of weeks I can go back to feta cheese and salami and cheese 'pizza' snacks, and nuts without much ado, for quite a long time.

But it is easter coming up, so - yeah! Better make some more of my cacao and peppermint natural-flavoured cookies with stevia sweetened chocolate bits in them.... all in prep for looking at wall-to-wall old favourites from the dark becoming diabetic past! Sigh.

Reactions: Evelynross