Type 2 Diabetes remission through a liquid diet.

pbholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Charcot foot
Hi Everyone
If this has been covered loads already I do apologise but i just wondered if there is anyone here who has actually sent their type 2 diabetes packing with low calorie diet? I have seen the liquid diet page on the site and wondered if this was the route that you went down?
I know that I should consult my GP etc but any tips or information would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

Reactions: Iban

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Everyone
If this has been covered loads already I do apologise but i just wondered if there is anyone here who has actually sent their type 2 diabetes packing with low calorie diet? I have seen the liquid diet page on the site and wondered if this was the route that you went down?
I know that I should consult my GP etc but any tips or information would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

Hi @pbholmes

You will find that forum members are strong advocates of a low carbohydrate diet. Ultimately, reducing carbohydrates may result in a reduction of calories but they are different things.

Take a good look around the forums, I'm sure some T2's will stop by with some advice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

Many thanks.

Hi
I assume (possibly incorrectly) that you are referring to the "Newcastle Diet" which uses meal replacement shakes?
If so there are some forum members who claim to have achieved "reversal"/ "remission" through this method.
If was recently trialled in the DiRECT study funded by Diabetes UK (not this site).
http://www.directclinicaltrial.org.uk
There is quite a lot of info on the link above.
Personally I have some doubts about the long term efficacy of this approach but won't bore you with them here.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I think its a question of a) the level of calorie restriction and b) the level of carb restriction.

The ND protocol privilidges calorie restriction by limiting it to 600 cals from shakes and another 200 from green (and therefore low carb) veg. It does not specifically say anything about carb restriction, but given that the shakes top out at around 20g carbs apiece it necessarily puts the approach under the threshold to be considered low carb (under 120g carbs a day)

The low carb approach frequently ( but by no means always) says nothing about calories and privileges carbohydrate restriction within a fairly broad range ( 0-120g daily)

Both have been reported to have good outcomes in terms of halting T2 inits tracks ( whatever you choose to call that ) and to be either sustainable in and of themselves or capable of adjustment into a sustinable and effective long term approach
At the end of the day its a personal choice what approach to try and how to adjust as necessary from the feedback BG testing provides

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and Fleegle

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I, very personally, have so far headed off a dx with a very low carb lifestyle. Also lost 6 stone which helped a lot. I find it sustainable as I'm rarely, if ever, hungry. I was ravenous on a low calorie diet; Entirely up to you, but really works for me.
www.dietdoctor.com.

Best wishes and hope everything works out well for you. :)

Reactions: Oldvatr

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

Many thanks.

I did the ND through the liquid shakes and if you want to know more PM me and I will tell you what I found out. My thread tracking my progress is on here somewhere to. I am loathed to give to much information in a post as I have seen what for me borders on rude.

Now here I will give you evidence of someone who has done it - as opposed to the posters who haven't if that is useful:-
To be honest broadly speaking I found it easy and rarely felt hungry - bored, not hungry.
You will see many myths posted by people about putting all the weight back on (I can say - not true)
That you get hungry (not true for me) although I did miss the social eating aspects.
that it slows your metabolism down (not sure what mine measured at before so no evidence for me). And 16 weeks on my trousers are still lose and my wife would like me to put on a little more weight.
Then there are the spikes because there is a lot of sugar in the shakes. I found I was able to cope ok but I never like to see an 8 and certainly at the beginning I saw a couple of them. They were short and sorted themselves out and I found I could juggle the shake amounts. Curiously I found that my morning shake could be double or even the full days carb intake and was still quite a low spike - but my evening spike if I staged them as directed, three equal amounts, spiked much worse.

I would add that if you look at the site you can do this without the shakes - didnt try that but would suggest that would be a better way of doing. And I see no reason why you couldn't give it a go in a low carb way. You could eat an awful lot of broccoli before you hit high carb and your calories.

It didn't cure my T2 but made a massive difference. I did about two weeks of testing after the ND and was astonished at how many carbs I could consume in a meal with no impact. I have not done any of the checks (such as an OGTT) to prove it though because for me it was never about not being low carb going forwards.

Since being back on the LC diet (in fact Keto) now for 4months I am becoming concerned about the effect that is having on my morning liver dumps though my day reading are still much better since ND. The ND site has collated a mass of data showing the hugely positive effect this has had on many people and though I am not giving you medical advice at all - if you get all of that from your GP and are confident to give it a go - DO! I am also worried about the long term aspects of a LC diet on my kidneys mainly due to load.

You will find people on this site are strong advocates of LC - which is a really good thing - unfortunately many are a bit closed minded to any other option even though we are all different. Many also have never tried it.

Sadly I still don't understand why the two things here - LC and ND are opposed when they could go hand in glove.

Reactions: Mark_1 and ziggy_w

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I think its a question of a) the level of calorie restriction and b) the level of carb restriction.

The ND protocol privilidges calorie restriction by limiting it to 600 cals from shakes and another 200 from green (and therefore low carb) veg. It does not specifically say anything about carb restriction, but given that the shakes top out at around 20g carbs apiece it necessarily puts the approach under the threshold to be considered low carb (under 120g carbs a day)

The low carb approach frequently ( but by no means always) says nothing about calories and privileges carbohydrate restriction within a fairly broad range ( 0-120g daily)

Both have been reported to have good outcomes in terms of halting T2 inits tracks ( whatever you choose to call that ) and to be either sustainable in and of themselves or capable of adjustment into a sustinable and effective long term approach
At the end of the day its a personal choice what approach to try and how to adjust as necessary from the feedback BG testing provides
Completely agree @Boo1979 - if I had of read your post I would not have responded. My shakes were more like 30g including the milk - so still low carb as 95 a day including the veg.

Reactions: hankjam