LCHF and intermittent fasting

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been told to follow a LCHF diet by the doctor I was wondering if running it alongside intermittent fasting would work better?

Also what do people eat on LCHF I quickly found myself running out of ideas or money

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I intermittent fast (skipping breakfast) all the time. Only eat lunch and dinner sometimes only dinner.
As to what to eat .. anything that is low in carbs.. cheapest foodstuffs are probably eggs? Green veg. We tend to go for the cheaper cuts of meat which have a higher fat content. Beef mince for example the 15% fat is usually cheaper than leaner varieties at just over £5 per kilo, pork belly, chicken thighs. What kind of food do you like?

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I intermittent fast (skipping breakfast) all the time. Only eat lunch and dinner sometimes only dinner.
As to what to eat .. anything that is low in carbs.. cheapest foodstuffs are probably eggs? Green veg. We tend to go for the cheaper cuts of meat which have a higher fat content. Beef mince for example the 15% fat is usually cheaper than leaner varieties at just over £5 per kilo, pork belly, chicken thighs. What kind of food do you like?

Everything that’s why I’m so big

It’s the accompaniments that are the problem I’m so used to having potato or rice or pasta that filling that void is hard.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything that’s why I’m so big

It’s the accompaniments that are the problem I’m so used to having potato or rice or pasta that filling that void is hard.
There's always cauliflower/broccoli rice or mash... brussels fried in butter with bacon bits are pretty **** good too.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may find with LCHF that the hunger cycle is not as bad as when you're a carb addict.... I know I have. I rarely feel stuffed full and on the other hand never starving, I find it a better place to be.
Good luck
:)

shobeegee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not something that is going to sort itself out overnight. I found it helpful to ensure all my social media sites were diabetes orientated i.e. follow groups, recipe sites etc. You will find that many are in your situation and come up with all sorts of ideas as to how one deals and reconciles lack of money and type of foods. I also found it helpful to slowly reduce carbs as opposed to going cold turkey. I hope this helps.

shobeegee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I personally think it helps to do intermittent fasting. I do skip breakfast.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Start with dietdoctor website.

To begin with feast on as much protein and natural fats as you can eat, once your body has got used to not having suger and carbs, you will want to eat less. Intermitant fasting can be added after a few weeks and is of benfit to most people, bit no suger and very low carbs gives the most benifit.

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meant to say you have a great doctor..
First time I’ve experienced going to the doctor and then being younger than me! He was very good in all fairness didn’t preach at me told me you know what you need to do. The first 2 weeks I was really good Keto all the way this last week I’ve been ill and carb binging can’t help myself taken the decision to get back on the horse tomorrow.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First time I’ve experienced going to the doctor and then being younger than me! He was very good in all fairness didn’t preach at me told me you know what you need to do. The first 2 weeks I was really good Keto all the way this last week I’ve been ill and carb binging can’t help myself taken the decision to get back on the horse tomorrow.
Whereabouts are you ? I want your doctor!

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Start with dietdoctor website.

To begin with feast on as much protein and natural fats as you can eat, once your body has got used to not having suger and carbs, you will want to eat less. Intermitant fasting can be added after a few weeks and is of benfit to most people, bit no suger and very low carbs gives the most benifit.
Thanks for the advice problem is I don’t ever seem to be satisfied. I can eat a lot and worry about eating too much fat effecting me adversely in other ways

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice problem is I don’t ever seem to be satisfied. I can eat a lot and worry about eating too much fat effecting me adversely in other ways
Its the fats in food that provide the satiety to stop you getting hungry. If you're worried about cholesterol levels most people report a lowering on LCHF and even if they go higher (similar to mine) then the ratios of various markers still improve.

Reactions: Clifton556

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe that doing intermittent fasting helps you get out of labelling meal times, eating only a couple of times during a short period, with smaller portion size, is so beneficial. It gets you out of a habitual eating cycle. That will help with your condition.

Why do you need to continually eat all day, every day, three to four times a day?
You don't!

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its the fats in food that provide the satiety to stop you getting hungry. If you're worried about cholesterol levels most people report a lowering on LCHF and even if they go higher (similar to mine) then the ratios of various markers still improve.
Do you make use the husk powders and almond flour to make things or stick to veg, meat and eggs?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you make use the husk powders and almond flour to make things or stick to veg, meat and eggs?
Not really I just eat the meat and eggs and to a lesser extent veg. I've mainly stopped trying to make replacement foods like fake bread or cakes just don;t want to eat them any more. I view them as kind of like poison and am far more attached to my eyesight and toes. That's how I trained my mind not to want them any more.

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really I just eat the meat and eggs and to a lesser extent veg. I've mainly stopped trying to make replacement foods like fake bread or cakes just don;t want to eat them any more. I view them as kind of like poison and am far more attached to my eyesight and toes. That's how I trained my mind not to want them any more.
Good thinking, I do suffer from lack of willpower at times and when I fall off the rails I really fall off the rails