testing with rice

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't eaten rice since last Oct when I switched to Low carb. Tonight I thought I would give it a go. I had 125g of pilau with a chicken tikka masala (made at home).
BG before dinner = 4.6, 90 mins after 6.1, 120 mins after 5.7. So I had a spike of 1.5 and then it drops off. I'm quite chuffed with that but I thought I would post to see what others thought.

This does NOT mean I am going to be eating rice every week but it is goo to have options.

I did test gnocchi earlier this week (only a handful) with little impact ( I went from 4.8 to 5.4) so pretty good.

I still really want to test porridge (my standard breakfast before diagnosis) but I am approaching that one with trepidation. Any ideas on toppings would be appreciated. Cinnamon seems like a good one.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
D

Deleted member 308541

I have to give reheating cooked rice a try still, I am still wary of doing it as the last I ate rice it put me up in to 10's after two hours.

I have been good with reheated cooked pasta and spuds, no dramas with them as long as I get the portion size right.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like you are ok with pilau rice and great that it's an option. As far as porridge goes (I can't handle it) the cinnamon topping has me salviating, but I'd add some double cream too.

Reactions: ixi1429

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to give reheating cooked rice a try still, I am still wary of doing it as the last I ate rice it put me up in to 10's after two hours.

I have been good with reheated cooked pasta and spuds, no dramas with them as long as I get the portion size right.

Caution with rice.

Lifted from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35234184

One food that people are particularly cautious about reheating is rice. As I mentioned above, most cases of food poisoning are caused by bacteria, but in the case of rice it is a bit more complicated than that.

Rice can be contaminated by a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. The bacteria themselves are killed by heat, but they sometimes produce spores that are not only toxic but surprisingly heat resistant.

This can lead to "fried rice syndrome", so-called because it was once not uncommon for people to get ill after eating fried rice at a Chinese buffet (where fried rice dishes had been left sitting around at room temperature for many hours). These days hygiene standards in Chinese restaurants are much better than they were.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey ixi1429, I have found that I can tolerate 1/3 cup cooked steel cut oats with cream, cinnnamon and 2 - 3Tb walnut pieces....only a rare treat, but the nuts and cream help to even out the oats. 1/3 cup doesn't look like much but add the nuts and cream and it is almost a decent amount:) Good luck if you try/L

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

Its all about finding the options now. I may try porridge this weekend. It would be good to find out one way or another..

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

Its all about finding the options now. I may try porridge this weekend. It would be good to find out one way or another..
I love rice and its what I miss most out of all the starches. Regarding reheating it I do wonder about the microwave pouches of rice. They must be precooked! Has anyone had any success with using them while controlling BG? Uncle Ben do the wholegrain pouches in 130g size in packs of 3 at Sainsbury.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

My husband tolerates porridge well and has it for breakfast every morning made with lactose free milk he does not have anything on it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love rice and its what I miss most out of all the starches. Regarding reheating it I do wonder about the microwave pouches of rice. They must be precooked! Has anyone had any success with using them while controlling BG? Uncle Ben do the wholegrain pouches in 130g size in packs of 3 at Sainsbury.
I can manage half of one of these without a rise that troubles me :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always been fine with rice in the likes of Paella, although not quite so great with plain rice, unless with a curry bearing a certain amount of fat. These days, I rarely do proper rice, having worked out my Pretendy Paella, utilising cauli rice.

One comment I would make about rice, @ixi1429 is that when the Libre was first launched, there were a few threads about rollercoaster rice - the food that kept on giving. One member I haven't seen for ages, and I can't unfortunately remember hos user name, found he had more than one rise from curry.

Have you dabbled with the Libre yourself at all?.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod
No. I am quite fortunate in that I am not on meds and I caught it earlyish - HbA1C of 52 - managed to get it down to 44 in 6 months. There didn't appear to be another rise. My fasting this morning was 5.8 which is average, although it is the highest it has been for about a week. I'll try it again, maybe some different rice.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod
No. I am quite fortunate in that I am not on meds and I caught it earlyish - HbA1C of 52 - managed to get it down to 44 in 6 months. There didn't appear to be another rise. My fasting this morning was 5.8 which is average, although it is the highest it has been for about a week. I'll try it again, maybe some different rice.

When trying new things - especially previously excluded items, I always test until my bloods return to the pre-meal reading, but than again, I'm a data monster. :)

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod

Looks like Basmati rice may be off the list. Following my "success with Pilau rice" I thought I would make Kedgeree for the family. I used plain Basmati rice. Portion size was 80g.

Before meal - 5.1
90 mins after - 5.3 (So far so good )
2 hours after - 6.3 (oh no!)
2.5 hours after - 6 ( at least its dropping)
3 hours aftter - 6.5 (******)

At that point I went to bed.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
@DCUKMod

Looks like Basmati rice may be off the list. Following my "success with Pilau rice" I thought I would make Kedgeree for the family. I used plain Basmati rice. Portion size was 80g.

Before meal - 5.1
90 mins after - 5.3 (So far so good )
2 hours after - 6.3 (oh no!)
2.5 hours after - 6 ( at least its dropping)
3 hours aftter - 6.5 (******)

At that point I went to bed.
I would try that one again as your rise was only 1.4, but try to monitor longer. I'm testing Shepherd's pie tonight.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@LouWilk059

Thanks for the advice. Next time I will, it was getting past my bedtime.
What I did find interesting was the way my BG rose and fell. I haven't seen that before, normally it rises and then just falls away.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Carbs will tend to do that. My Shepherd's pie turned out to be OK. Started at 5.0 with the highest number being 6.3 (less than 1.7 rise). I checked over a 4.5 hr span. Will test it again next time we have it as it may have read lower due to using instant potatoes vs real potatoes

allan76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't eaten rice since last Oct when I switched to Low carb. Tonight I thought I would give it a go. I had 125g of pilau with a chicken tikka masala (made at home).
BG before dinner = 4.6, 90 mins after 6.1, 120 mins after 5.7. So I had a spike of 1.5 and then it drops off. I'm quite chuffed with that but I thought I would post to see what others thought.

This does NOT mean I am going to be eating rice every week but it is goo to have options.

I did test gnocchi earlier this week (only a handful) with little impact ( I went from 4.8 to 5.4) so pretty good.

I still really want to test porridge (my standard breakfast before diagnosis) but I am approaching that one with trepidation. Any ideas on toppings would be appreciated. Cinnamon seems like a good one.
I stopped porridge it sent my reading very high after 2 hours