Easter Eggs

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With Easter approaching - any recommendations as to safe options for these ?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to ask my family to just get me a bar of 85% dark chocolate - high cocoa dark chocolate is relatively low carb - if you stick to a couple of squares at a time. Not sure if there are any 85% chocolate eggs. Best to test to see how much you can personally tolerate at a time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby buys me a hotel chocolat dark egg every Easter- lasts me months usually until almost Christmas when he gets me a Christmas box - the eggs are very expensive at £27 but as they last me months good value for me - I never did eat chocolate and sweets very much anyway - I was a crisp fiend :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
No safe options that are shaped like eggs. I agree with @eggs11. A bar of really good quality dark chocolate is something you can have a little square of when you fancy a treat. I go for Lindt 85% or Montezumas Absolute Black 100% (a bit much for some people but I love it) Someone somewhere about something recommended Hotel Chocolate Chocolate Buttons. Again these are 100% cost £6, I can only eat one button in an evening.

D

Deleted Account

Last year, I asked for a selection of cheeses instead of chocolate eggs.
Not very Eastery or Spring-like but enjoyed more than the chocolate.

This had nothing to do with low carbing just that I still had piles of chocolates left over from Christmas.

dipsydo

As an off the wall suggestion, what about colouring the shell of boiled eggs - food colouring or onion skin in the water and then you have a very low carb easter eggs .

Reactions: DJC3

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No safe options that are shaped like eggs.

Well here's an absolutely safe one I made earlier - completely carb free and also amazingly lacking in calories too:

sugar_free_egg.jpg

Only problem is that it's not too good for eating, as it will taste just like cardboard....:(:(

But seriously, get some high cocoa choccie and an Easter Fgg mould , and basically melt and pour. I made mini eggs the first year i was diagosed, but you can buy large moulds too. Try Lakeland , or Amazon, for starters.

If you are more adventurous you can also make your own high fat chocolate with coconut oil and/or coconut manna. real cocoa powder, and some erythrotiol or even suitable flavourings.

have fun!

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr B will be giving me an absolutely gorgeous 70% or higher cocoa solid choc egg, cos he loves me, and it is tradition, and there would be hell to pay if he didn't.

I will be giving Mr B a selection of cheeses, the ones in wax, which are spherical, or egg shaped if you squint hard enough.

He doesn't eat chocolate. I don't mind. More for me.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Well here's an absolutely safe one I made earlier - completely carb free and also amazingly lacking in calories too:

Only problem is that it's not too good for eating, as it will taste just like cardboard....:(:(

But seriously, get some high cocoa choccie and an Easter Fgg mould , and basically melt and pour. I made mini eggs the first year i was diagosed, but you can buy large moulds too. Try Lakeland , or Amazon, for starters.

If you are more adventurous you can also make your own high fat chocolate with coconut oil and/or coconut manna. real cocoa powder, and some erythrotiol or even suitable flavourings.

have fun!

Robbity
I take it all back @Robbity . You are magic and I saw an egg mould the other day. Do you have a recipe for making your own or is it a task for Mrs Google? Totally delighted!!!! Yikes

Reactions: ianpspurs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Easter has always passed us by as a family. The children always had eggs, but no pressies for the adults. That isn't to say a few cream eggs didn't fall into my shopping trolley, or a bag of mini eggs, but I don't miss chocolate at all. It never crosses my mind. Crusty bread on the other hand ...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried their supermilk chocolate? - http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/chocolate/supermilk/ - I'm tempted to ask for some of this for Easter but don't know whether it would be better or worse for sugars than 85% dark.

I’ve looked at it as it doesn’t have added sugar, but the sugar from the milk along with the carbs in the cocoa make it about 24% carbs per 100g so pretty similar to an 85% dark bar. I think the actual bar is about 80g and have been tempted but know I’d be likely to eat the whole thing in one go, which would blow my daily carb allowance. Might just stick to my chocolate olive oil cake.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it all back @Robbity . You are magic and I saw an egg mould the other day. Do you have a recipe for making your own or is it a task for Mrs Google? Totally delighted!!!! Yikes
The eggs i made were small ones and all I did in my experimental ignorance was to microwave some suitable broken up dark chocolate then pour the liquid into the mould and sit back smugly to let it set. The Lakeland link I posted appears to have a basic mini video for making the big eggs though. My more experienced posh chocolate sweetie making niece told me later that to get the chocolate nice and shiny with never a a sign of any cloudy white bits you need to temper it, which you will find instruction for via Mrs Cookit Google.

My homemade chocolate was also experimental - I think there was a general guide of sorts with the mould that I based my quantities on! If I remember correctly it was really a matter of melting a suitable amount of coconut oil then adding real cocoa powder and sweetener (I used Natvia - erythritol - icing sugar ) and a few drop of peppermint essence. Since the oil solidifies again when cooled I reckon the proportions of the other ingredients are more or less just a matter of taste, but don't make the mix too stiff! If you'd rather have a recipe to work to, there now appear to be more different ones online than I ever could have imagined four years ago!! :wideyed:

Robbity

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last year, I asked for a selection of cheeses instead of chocolate eggs.
Not very Eastery or Spring-like but enjoyed more than the chocolate.

This had nothing to do with low carbing just that I still had piles of chocolates left over from Christmas.

Asda are apparently doing a cheese Easter egg made of my favourite cheese, blacksticks blue. I really fancy that this year

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved the small toffee filled eggs and millionaires shortbread. Having done some research I am going to try to make low carb millionaires shortbread with flaxseed base, Lindt 99% and cream ganache topping and low carb caramel middle. Not strictly an Easter egg but an attempt to get the taste I enjoyed at Easter.
My favourite was actually the Hot Cross Buns - have tried them last 2 years and bg ok but have been very good this year and eschewed them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved the small toffee filled eggs and millionaires shortbread. Having done some research I am going to try to make low carb millionaires shortbread with flaxseed base, Lindt 99% and cream ganache topping and low carb caramel middle. Not strictly an Easter egg but an attempt to get the taste I enjoyed at Easter.
My favourite was actually the Hot Cross Buns - have tried them last 2 years and bg ok but have been very good this year and eschewed them.

Oooh, i must admit I miss hot cross buns. I had some with orange and cranberry a couple of years ago. They were lush. I did look up LC hcbun recipes last year, but didn’t organise myself in time.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a kid I used to hate Easter all my friends, cousins and sister would get loads of Easter eggs from relatives and family friends and yours truly would get nothing OR some kind of fruit. Now adays I've getting some dark chocolate eggs.

Sangs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will be enjoying my easter eggs as I always do and just adjust my insulin dose accordingly. I don't see why you should have to stop yourself from eating foods you enjoy occasionally due to being diabetic - just adjust insulin dose accordingly. I have been a diabetic for 15 years now and just carb count and adjust insulin doses accordingly rather than restrict my eating habits.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: eggs11