Type 1 Irritability

Stufisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone found a non-controversial way to explain to your non-T1 diabetic partner that irritability and inability to converse during a hypo, are not really controllable? I've been trying for 18 years and still failing ... ALL comments very gratefully received.

Reactions: hels

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m an information person ! It’s a silly question but have you shown her the research and the published journals ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Stufisher Sadly no ! The only time I ever feel like trying to explain it is when i'm actually having one and trying to explain then why i don't want help or to talk proves impossible and can easily turn into a row, I therefore try to have mine somewhere where people aren't present so then I don't feel like I have to talk and can just get on with treating it, then re-enter company from where I left off. After the event I am very often too tired to try and explain them :grumpy:

Stufisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m an information person ! It’s a silly question but have you shown her the research and the published journals ?
... mmm ... now let me see? Yes.
It's not actually about data in this case, it's emotional and ethereal. I am also scientific and maybe that's the issue

Stufisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @Stufisher Sadly no ! The only time I ever feel like trying to explain it is when i'm actually having one and trying to explain then why i don't want help or to talk proves impossible and can easily turn into a row, I therefore try to have mine somewhere where people aren't present so then I don't feel like I have to talk and can just get on with treating it, then re-enter company from where I left off. After the event I am very often too tired to try and explain them :grumpy:
Thanks for that ... I immediately feel that I have a buddy

leahkian

Why do you not take your partner to your next appointment and ask the doctor to explain, if you have tried that print off some research off the internet and ask them to read it. It might be a good idea if you get it off 3-4 different sites and you can say that they all say the same thing

Stufisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why do you not take your partner to your next appointment and ask the doctor to explain, if you have tried that print off some research off the internet and ask them to read it. It might be a good idea if you get it off 3-4 different sites and you can say that they all say the same thing
Fair point. We went together to consultations around 10 years ago and that helped a bit. I think as I've aged and got more irritable ( and probably more frustrated with everything ) it becomes harder to explain. Might just be part of ageing and not T1 ... maybe I'm just having a bad spell
Thanks for taking time to reply.

leahkian

This is normal as you get older you do get more frustrated and when your partner does not understand it makes things worse. In 2015 i had a kidney and pancreas transplant which is working but the years of unseen diabetic damage has made my life worse and i get frustrated at not being able to do the things that i could 5 years ago and i take it out on my family which i should not do. I have 2 children who live with me and what they have seen in the past 5 years makes me angry and that i have let them down, they both excel at school and their mother moved away 4 years ago. They want to do things but i cannot promise them that i will be well enough to do them, they are my reason for living and they know that i am frustrated and take it in their stride but the feeling of guilt,anger and letting them down is with me everyday. They need me to be strong and bring them up with manners and morals and they accept we are not your normal family but with help we get along, mind it did not help that the day i got my transplant was my sons 10th birthday which he reminds me of every years

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Stufisher have a search on the BBC website - there was a journalist a few months ago who had one live on the radio, he explained it pretty well and it’s good for non diabetics to get a grasp of what a hypo is really like.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
non-controversial way to explain to your non-T1 diabetic partner that irritability and inability to converse during a hypo

Are you thinking of doing what I think?!??! :wideyed:

Years and years ago my wife videoed me having a hypo, and the conversation we had.

Later we watched it and discussed it - it was interesting, in it at one point she accused me of being obstreperous, as we watched I explained that I couldn't really comprehend what she was saying, I just wanted to be left alone or sleep and she wouldn't let me do that, so I was bound to get irritable, we talked it through, how I was feeling and how she was feeling.

Any how the devorce papers are due any day now :playful:

I jest! I'm certainly more aware of things and if she says she thinks I'm low I won't argue now and just do a test (to shut her up!:p), and she now knows if I do have a bad one (I haven't had a bad one for ages) she has an idea of whats going through my head (and before anyone else comments, not a lot!) and how to handle it.

Stufisher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I guess we all have similar frustrations and challenges. We just always get stuck at the impasse 'having a hypo is no excuse for being grumpy/twisted' versus 'I'm not able to talk right now'
T'was ever thus methinks so I'll just live in hope.
Thanks again everyone.