Keto diet dangers video - made me smile!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-low-carb-diets-can-damage-your-health-2017-12

I think eating (processed) carbs isn't healthy and damages the health of some people, and just because we have become accustomed to it doesn't make it "normal". Agree?

Video transcript:

Rachel Clare: So the ketogenic diet is when you have next to no carbohydrates in your diet and what that means is that because your body isn’t using energy from carbohydrates it’s breaking down fats to give it the energy that it needs.
When you break down the fats in your body, it releases ketone bodies and so when your body’s breaking down more and more fat it produces these ketone bodies and so it means that somebody can be said to be in a “ketogenic state.”
In some small medical cases, the ketogenic diet is actually used for benefit.
So there’s some bits of evidence to show that being on a ketogenic diet can help people who suffer from epilepsy for example.
But for the general public the ketogenic diet is quite dangerous, your body when it’s producing ketone bodies it’s not in a normal state and so actually for the general public, the ketogenic diet is quite damaging.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More keto phobia and FUD...anyway it has been going on for decades...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I cannot access the video but from your transcript it is screamingly obvious that the speaker doe not have the faintest idea of what a ketone is much less what its role is. There ought to be a law against idiocy especially in regards to health matters, bring back the birch is what I say ;)

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those, like me, who don't know:

"FUD is an acronym for fear, uncertainty and doubt. It is a marketing term that is often used to cast a shadow over a competitor's product when your own is unable to compete. FUD is a technique used by larger companies who have a large market share." Webopedia

She is introduced as a qualified dietitian, so she MUST be right! :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

"FUD is an acronym for fear, uncertainty and doubt. It is a marketing term that is often used to cast a shadow over a competitor's product when your own is unable to compete. FUD is a technique used by larger companies who have a large market share." Webopedia

Ah, well, if she is a qualified dietician I take it all back.... she should be keel hauled!

Reactions: kokhongw

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

She says she's a REGISTERED dietitian. I wonder if you need any qualifications to register> Might havea go but she doesn't say who she's registered with!!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's a pretty rubbish video. she either has tiny hands or thats a big apple

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Now able to access the video. It seems likely that she is thinking DKA and as we know DKA is quite different from nutritional ketosis.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny what people take from the same video clip
1) there was nothing to suggest dka was being thought about
2) she was saying that for people without a chronic health condition then keto may be unhealthy so her comments are not that relevant to those of us with diabetes (a chronic health condition)

I think tho that we would probably all agree that it was a c*** video with so little detail as to be pretty meaningless

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Funny what people take from the same video clip
1) there was nothing to suggest dka was being thought about
2) she was saying that for people without a chronic health condition then keto may be unhealthy so her comments are not that relevant to those of us with diabetes (a chronic health condition)

I think tho that we would probably all agree that it was a c*** video with so little detail as to be pretty meaningless
She said that when a body is producing ketones it is not in a normal state. The only abnormality would be if the the body was in or near Diabetic Ketoacidosis, that is why I mention it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She said that when a body is producing ketones it is not in a normal state. The only abnormality would be if the the body was in or near Diabetic Ketoacidosis, that is why I mention it.
Small issue but still different interpretations. What she said was that the aim of keto is to put the body into a ‘ketogenic state’ and that burning ketones rather than other sources ( presumably carbs) is abnormal for the body.
I disagree with her basic premis but lets not make it something it isnt

Dark Horse

She says she's a REGISTERED dietitian. I wonder if you need any qualifications to register> Might havea go but she doesn't say who she's registered with!!
'Dietitian' is what's known as a 'protected title' in the UK - in other words, if you call yourself dietitian and are not registered with the HCPC you are breaking the law. To become registered as a dietitian, you need to have an approved degree in dietetics. http://www.hcpc-uk.co.uk/aboutregistration/protectedtitles/

On the other hand, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist as it is not a protected title.