Lancets and Test strips

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
I recently had the annual review. Nurse advised me that one of the practice doctors (never seen her) now covering diabetics has advised that after looking over my results nurse stated that due to the rise in readings I was to take additional pill. For some time I have been on 2 x 500 grm Metformin twice daily. No problems with this. Some time ago I was given an unused box of lancets and and test strips soI have been testing my bloood 3 or 4 times a week. This is not knewn to the surgery. Readings have not gone higher than 7.5. Usually around 6.5.
I questioned why I should suddenly need Linigliptin. I was not happy about this and the nurse was doing as she was told. Side effects to this drug are severe leg aches and cramps.
I already take medication for both of these problems so why add to them. I have refused the prescription. Suggested it would be more useful to me as the type 2 diabetic to be provided with test strips and lancets. Surgery is not allowed to provide them.
I then spoke to my own doctor who said I should take the new prescription. We have agreed to leave it for a further 3 months.
Can Doctors insist you take medication?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can Doctors insist you take medication?

Not really, Plenty of folks on these boards refuse statins. Nothing to stop you flushing any meds down the toilet, even if you claimed to be taking them.

But, if your readings are going up (presumably HbA1C???) you may want to take action to stop them going up further... Are you already on a low carb diet? Plus, why not record your blood sugar results and show them to the nurse? They are supposed to be there to help you, not to order you around for no reason.

Did they tell you your HbA1C?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Readings have not gone higher than 7.5. Usually around 6.5.
Are those fasting readings only or also after eating carbs? And your doctor can insist you take medicine, but they cannot force you. What are they gonna do, visit you every day and hold your nose until you swallow?

tubamanandy

"2 x 500 grm Metformin twice daily" is 4 which is the max.

I suspect the poster meant to say 2 x 500grm Metformin (morning & evening) ?

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
"2 x 500 grm Metformin twice daily" is 4 which is the max.

I suspect the poster meant to say 2 x 500grm Metformin (morning & evening) ?

Hello to you all. Thank you for your comments. they are all helpfull. Over the last few weeks I have been monitoring on an old machine and a new machine. Old machine results range is 5.2 to 6.8 New machine n 5.5 to 6.8 with one odd reading at 7.3.
In two weeks I am to see Endocrinoligist as I may have a problem with my 20 year under active thyroid. As it happens it was this Consultant who picked up on a pre surgery check for something else that I was type 2 diabetic. Hoping my disbetes will be discussed at the same time. A reading late this morning on new machine is 6.0. I am also trying to cope with low carb diet and have lost a little weight but struggling with this.
The support on this site is just so encouraging. Thank you to you all.