Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am now experiencing disturbing skin problems and I am sure that if I see the GP he will prescribe topical steroid treatment. As the amount of steroid would be very small I am guessing it should have zero/minimal affect on bg but I thought other members may have had experiences with these. TIA.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
They can do. Normally only if very potent cream is used or the instructions for use are not followed.
"
If used as directed, topical corticosteroids are a very safe treatment. Serious side effects usually only occur if excessive amounts of potent or very potent corticosteroids are applied.

However, there are some things to consider while taking topical corticosteroids.

High levels of potent topical corticosteroids can disrupt the hormonal balance in the body, leading to side effects, such as:

hyperglycaemia – an increase in blood sugar levels
high blood pressure (hypertension)"

https://www.your.md/condition/corticosteroid-preparations-topical/#introduction

Edit to add I cannot from experience advise directly on this as my doctor will not prescribe these creams for me as he is unhappy with the amount of steroids I am already taking and won't chance increasing it.

The steroids I have taken over the years gave me cushings skin is badly effected, and diabetes so I say stay clear of steroids unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They can do. Normally only if very potent cream is used or the instructions for use are not followed.
"
If used as directed, topical corticosteroids are a very safe treatment. Serious side effects usually only occur if excessive amounts of potent or very potent corticosteroids are applied.

However, there are some things to consider while taking topical corticosteroids.

High levels of potent topical corticosteroids can disrupt the hormonal balance in the body, leading to side effects, such as:

hyperglycaemia – an increase in blood sugar levels
high blood pressure (hypertension)"

https://www.your.md/condition/corticosteroid-preparations-topical/#introduction

Thank you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can remember someone once posting that steroid eyedrops had affected their blood glucose, so very small quantities may have an effect. But I expect it depends on dose amongst other things.

Sorry, but i cant remember the poster’s name, or what the eyedrops were.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can remember someone once posting that steroid eyedrops had affected their blood glucose, so very small quantities may have an effect. But I expect it depends on dose amongst other things.

Sorry, but i cant remember the poster’s name, or what the eyedrops were.

Cheers.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I am now experiencing disturbing skin problems and I am sure that if I see the GP he will prescribe topical steroid treatment. As the amount of steroid would be very small I am guessing it should have zero/minimal affect on bg but I thought other members may have had experiences with these. TIA.
Hi
Is there a relationship between diabetes and some skin problems?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes. A lot of people has itchiness (me too) and some has tetter. Especially on legs.
Though plenty of people without diabetes also have skin conditions as well - I'm pretty sure I inherited my mild eczema from my Dad's side of the family - none of whom have/had diabetes.

I've not noticed my control being particularly worse when using topical steroids (currently got some for some rather annoying eczema round my mouth and chin - big red rash around my mouth looks awesome lol)

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty sure I inherited my mild eczema
Before diabetes I had no problems with my skin for 43 years. But I remember two years of horrible itchiness each time I was taking a shower. I spent 20 minutes of scratching my body with stirring spoon. Now with my diabetes under control I have no itchiness more. After that I have read about this in some czech health journal.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

About a year before diagnosis of T2 (and stats say I will probably therefore have had high bg already), I had recurring ear infections, 3 in a year I think, having had nothing like that before. At about the same time as diagnosis, I'm in equal measure embarrassed and proud to say I experienced thrush, which is quite an achievement for a man.

Strangely, I've never had a bad bout of athletes foot for a long time. I used to get that a lot many years ago, but it was probably linked to doing several sports which involved standing on mats bare-foot which many other people stood on with their disgusting bare-feet, rather than me being particularly prone to fungus growing on the skin.

Right now I'm getting diminished sensation in my fingertips and toes. It's very hard to tell why. There are some definite solid patches of dead skin on my feet with no sensation when I touch them, which have a good explanation (new boots and a lot of walking) but I think other toe areas are less sensitive while the skin looks normal. There may also be a non-diabetes explanation for the reduced sensitive of my fingers, e.g. I started playing the guitar a few months ago and was very conscious of thickening / less sensitive skin on my fingertips, but then I haven't played for over a month, so again, not sure.

Anyway, T2 is linked to poor circulation, nerve damage, and fungus growth, all of which are likely to make themselves felt (or rather, not) on the skin.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Guzzler. I have had problems with itchy rashes since childhood. I use topical steroid ointments when prescribed, in varying strengths depending on how bad. I don't notice an increase in blood glucose levels with ointments but do if I have to take steroid tablets.
To minimise the need for steroid creams and ointments I bathe in a warm bath with added sea salt, , use no soap, use Diprobase cream as soap substitute, then apply Doublebase emollient to wet skin before gently patting skin dry. If I have a flare up first line of defence is to increase antihistimines which I take daily on advice of dermatologist. It helps most of the time, but I sleep a lot. If this doesn't work I go on to steroid creams, then steroid tablets. By using the Diprobase and Double base daily and the mild dose antihistimine I have managed to reduce the flare ups from most days to perhaps 3or 4 times a year. I also find out, then avoid any triggers for the itching allergic response. There is no worse torture for me than having sore inflamed skin. I hope you can find a remedy to suit you soon, too.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
About a year before diagnosis of T2 (and stats say I will probably therefore have had high bg already), I had recurring ear infections, 3 in a year I think, having had nothing like that before. At about the same time as diagnosis, I'm in equal measure embarrassed and proud to say I experienced thrush, which is quite an achievement for a man.

Strangely, I've never had a bad bout of athletes foot for a long time. I used to get that a lot many years ago, but it was probably linked to doing several sports which involved standing on mats bare-foot which many other people stood on with their disgusting bare-feet, rather than me being particularly prone to fungus growing on the skin.

Right now I'm getting diminished sensation in my fingertips and toes. It's very hard to tell why. There are some definite solid patches of dead skin on my feet with no sensation when I touch them, which have a good explanation (new boots and a lot of walking) but I think other toe areas are less sensitive while the skin looks normal. There may also be a non-diabetes explanation for the reduced sensitive of my fingers, e.g. I started playing the guitar a few months ago and was very conscious of thickening / less sensitive skin on my fingertips, but then I haven't played for over a month, so again, not sure.

Anyway, T2 is linked to poor circulation, nerve damage, and fungus growth, all of which are likely to make themselves felt (or rather, not) on the skin.
Yes it's blood circulation cause all the health problems Just like plants deprived of water

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler. I have had problems with itchy rashes since childhood. I use topical steroid ointments when prescribed, in varying strengths depending on how bad. I don't notice an increase in blood glucose levels with ointments but do if I have to take steroid tablets.
To minimise the need for steroid creams and ointments I bathe in a warm bath with added sea salt, , use no soap, use Diprobase cream as soap substitute, then apply Doublebase emollient to wet skin before gently patting skin dry. If I have a flare up first line of defence is to increase antihistimines which I take daily on advice of dermatologist. It helps most of the time, but I sleep a lot. If this doesn't work I go on to steroid creams, then steroid tablets. By using the Diprobase and Double base daily and the mild dose antihistimine I have managed to reduce the flare ups from most days to perhaps 3or 4 times a year. I also find out, then avoid any triggers for the itching allergic response. There is no worse torture for me than having sore inflamed skin. I hope you can find a remedy to suit you soon, too.

Thank you for the advice and information. At the moment I am using an emolient instead of soap and Aveeno twice daily. In places the skin feels so tight that it makes me think it might split. Not pleasant.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi

There can be although the problems I am having are not due to Diabetes but the T2 might have exacerbated the problem.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
In fact, I have improved a lot since I joined this forum. I no longer feel anything
I had problems with the heat of the feet and feeling tired and urinating a lot thanks a lot all members

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-22-16-56-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-03-22-16-56-49.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 356

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In fact, I have improved a lot since I joined this forum. I no longer feel anything
I had problems with the heat of the feet and feeling tired and urinating a lot thanks a lot all members

nice progress!

Reactions: HICHAM_T2