Diagnosis and counselling

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
then your going to need to invest a lot of extra money into the nhs. there is a chronic lack of councillors in the health service.
Diabetes changes your life forever that's a fact, i got type 1 in 1979 aged three and there was little in the means pf support you were in hospital for a lot longer than now. I have had diabetic problems since day one and mental health issues since i was 18 and still do today. My parents had to learn a whole new way of life in terms of diet and insulin, they gave them a orange to practice injecting me. My mental health problems are part of diabetes as the worry, stress and depression are there most of the time, i have tried everything but it works for so long then the worry is back. My diabetic team have now got a mental health worker who only deals with diabetes and its problems which is a step forward as they know what you are talking about. This is the first time that i will see someone who only deals with diabetes but i think every diabetic should be able to see one. I recently had a pip assessment done by a physio but most of my problems are due to diabetes and as i told him that i see 6 different consultants about 6 different things and none of them are in your field. He told me he had been trained to which i said if your car broke down you would not phone a baker to fix it, he would ask me questions and when i would start to answer he would say i need to know how it effects you now but i told him that to get to the answer you need to start at the time it started. Then he asked for evidence of my problems but when i gave him letters he said he did not want them even though these were off the consultants who were telling him my problems. I have a copy of the report but am waiting to see if i get it but by the report i do, the man who did the report said i had put only 3 bits of evidence in which i never there was 15 bits of evidence. I photo copied the questions and reply's and also the evidence as i have had trouble with atos before
well done. if you believe they deliberately refused evidence stick a complaint in.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
then your going to need to invest a lot of extra money into the nhs. there is a chronic lack of councillors in the health service.

well done. if you believe they deliberately refused evidence stick a complaint in.
the issue of a lack of resources is different from the issue of need and defining that need.

we dont say 'we dont have enough plaster nurses, so your leg isnt broken enough to plaster up'

likewise, we should not say 'we dont have enough mental health resources, so you dont need one enough'

need is need.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well, where are you going to pull these folks from? daughter wants to be a psychologist to do that she needs great exams get a 1.1 at degree and then do a doctorate. even then a lot of the trainees cant get a practice placement. that is why there is a serious shortage of support. and all that studying they get the same pay as a junior nurse.
assuming that's not going to change were are these councillors to come from. where are the funds to come from? it's nice to say that we want we need more support. unless your planning on using semi-trained people and I would advise not to. there is a very clear deficit of what we may want and what can be done. so instead of demanding the impossible to supply we need to create support services with what we have got and reserve the counselling for those that must have it to function. and yes that will include some diabetics. again I'm not belittling those that suffer from psychological conditions. just that not every person that gets a bad diagnosis needs support. we cant even support terminally ill people with counselling.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well, where are you going to pull these folks from? daughter wants to be a psychologist to do that she needs great exams get a 1.1 at degree and then do a doctorate. even then a lot of the trainees cant get a practice placement. that is why there is a serious shortage of support. and all that studying they get the same pay as a junior nurse.
assuming that's not going to change were are these councillors to come from. where are the funds to come from? it's nice to say that we want we need more support. unless your planning on using semi-trained people and I would advise not to. there is a very clear deficit of what we may want and what can be done. so instead of demanding the impossible to supply we need to create support services with what we have got and reserve the counselling for those that must have it to function. and yes that will include some diabetics. again I'm not belittling those that suffer from psychological conditions. just that not every person that gets a bad diagnosis needs support. we cant even support terminally ill people with counselling.
that doesn not alter the fact that people need support. And you may not realise it, but you clearly indicated, in your post #5

its stuff you need to come to terms with. the nhs simply could not provide councilling they have difficulty support those that really need support.

a) that the OP has to come to terms with his problems, presumably on his own, as you then go on to talk about

b) those who really need support - meaning that the OP is one of those you describe as not really needing support.

those are the facts. I do not agree that:

a) we should judge who does and does not really need support and

b) they are demanding the impossible and should back off their needs just because others may be apparently worse off.

I am NOT saying that there is not a lack of resources, I AM saying that there is a real need, with or without resources, and you have repeated expressed that you do not agree that the needs of some on here are real and deserving of equal respect and support.

The OP was not saying that all who get diagnosed should get counselling, but that those who do need mental health help should have it offered to them and available. We all know how much our mental health affects our physical health.

A lack of resources does not remove the needs.

leahkian

I agree with that a person who needs help should get it, i am still waiting to see the diabetic mental heath nurse. I was also referred to Talking Changes by my GP and when the called it was all about CBT which i have had many times in the past so they referred me back to my GP. They said they would get someone to see me at the surgery but 3 days later phoned back and said they could not see me because i had see someone and it has not been a year, i asked what i could do and they said wait a year. I said i needed the help now not in a years time.