Funny stuff is insulin...

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no supper last night and a unit of fast acting as my bloods were over 10, but woke at 7am at 10.6 so just had a standard 3u of Humalog, I'm still sat in my pjs at 10.4 having risen to 12.5, the libre is showing a flat line 2 hours 40 minutes post injection and my foods still sat on the side.

Lovely day outside, money to be made and I'm sat bored and idle, waiting.......

Happy Monday to y'all :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kev-w You are more patient than me, I would either be running up and down the stairs or would just carry on and eat !!

Reactions: Leeannea

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w You are more patient than me, I would either be running up and down the stairs or would just carry on and eat !!

My blood's sat at 9.7, I want a correction dose but as I'm working on ladders I don't want catching out by the tail this afternoon, running up and down stairs would have been a better option, or flying around the block on my push bike so thanks for the idea. :)

It's odd how one becomes set in their ways...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know logic would be to wait until you come down, but then you have to weigh up what's going to happen later on and what the 'cause and effect' of taking the correction, eating the food will be. I'm just too hungry in the morning so carry on regardless, I soon find with a little bit of running about that it comes back into range soon enough, take care on the ladders today @kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meh :(

Up to 15 so had 2u as a correction wishing I'd not messed on and just had 5 or 6u to start with.

Hey ho, onwards and up the ladders. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that @kev-w at least it was north and not south (trying to add a positive spin on this...!)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Insulin resistance is still a mystery to me.

Carry on regardless and do more tests is my way of dealing with it.

I wish you well.

Tony

Reactions: kev-w

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Always fun when your sugar is super high and that correction dose you took an hour ago has seemingly no effect so you inject some more even though you know you probably shouldn't, and then an hour later you're instead hypo because you've accumulated a gigantic dose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I blame it on the Diabetes fairy, either that or I feel like throwing the metre out of the window ( but must remember to open window first................ ;):D)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I blame it on the Diabetes fairy, either that or I feel like throwing the metre out of the window ( but must remember to open window first................ ;):D)

LOL I usually feel like throwing myself out of the window (but must remember to open window first.......:))

Jesting of course

Tony

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always fun when your sugar is super high and that correction dose you took an hour ago has seemingly no effect so you inject some more even though you know you probably shouldn't, and then an hour later you're instead hypo because you've accumulated a gigantic dose.

This is often me, so trying a different method today, on a 'normal' day I'd have taken 3u fast acting first thing and would be running on basal right now, but I've had 5u in two injections 3 hours or so apart, and the libre is currently pointing due south at 6.2 and a blood test at 6. (tail of the 3u and the 2u backing it)
Having only had a bowl of porridge and 3 poached eggs I think it must finally be lunch time which will be a tin of tuna no bread (unless I keep dropping)

Reactions: Juicyj

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
This is often me, so trying a different method today, on a 'normal' day I'd have taken 3u fast acting first thing and would be running on basal right now, but I've had 5u in two injections 3 hours or so apart, and the libre is currently pointing due south at 6.2 and a blood test at 6. (tail of the 3u and the 2u backing it)
Having only had a bowl of porridge and 3 poached eggs I think it must finally be lunch time which will be a tin of tuna no bread (unless I keep dropping)
Yeah I get those quite frequently as well. It's so annoying when you've been doing so well in that 7 day period on your Libre and then everything gets screwed by one or two days of roller coaster values.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I get those quite frequently as well. It's so annoying when you've been doing so well in that 7 day period on your Libre and then everything gets screwed by one or two days of roller coaster values.

That's one of the downsides to the device isn't it! I was doing so well, 73% in range 4% low & 23% high with a hba1c showing at 6.8 :) but I'm just looking at the 'logbook' at the moment.

Good advice Juicyj on running up and down the stairs as I think getting myself seated in a sulk didn't help, so next time I'm going to try a short cycle ride to kick-start my metabolism.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lower carb tea and I'm trundling along mid 5's, bargain of the year at the supermarket, an £8 fish roast (salmon cod and haddock) for the mark down price of £1.20 :p so half that, 2 fishcakes veg and a small rice sated the hunger from a skipped half breakfast and full lunch.

Made me smile anyway :)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Its quite a ridiculous thought this but perhaps its the porridge!
My neighbour suffers with insulin resistance and has porridge every morning without fail.
They do say it sticks to your ribs.

I know I'm being silly but I have analysed insulin resistance to the nth degree and clever people than me have done the same.
I have 44 years of type 1 behind me so there's been some serious amount of thinking gone into this...

I don't eat porridge but my resistance lasts hours rather than days but my neighbours can last up to 2 weeks.

Food for thought.
With this Tony runs off before he gets carted off..........

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its quite a ridiculous thought this but perhaps its the porridge!
My neighbour suffers with insulin resistance and has porridge every morning without fail.
They do say it sticks to your ribs.

I know I'm being silly but I have analysed insulin resistance to the nth degree and clever people than me have done the same.
I have 44 years of type 1 behind me so there's been some serious amount of thinking gone into this...

I don't eat porridge but my resistance lasts hours rather than days but my neighbours can last up to 2 weeks.

Food for thought.
With this Tony runs off before he gets carted off..........

A fair suggestion, but then today I woke at 4.1, same 60g porridge oats, 2 slices wholemeal bread 3 poachies and I dropped .5u down to 2.5u injection for 65g carbs eating straight away and I've not gone over 6 all day and I've eaten another 2 wholemeal bread, a scotch egg and a tin of tuna.
My theory is it's to do with the body's metabolic rate, slow Sunday into Monday but stayed down once I'd managed the gym, I also wonder about the Lantus, as I'm sure from time to time it only half works.
A better day tho :)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I don't go near a gym as they give me the willies but I keep busy with work and life so the principal is the same and I slow up a bit at weekend so you may well be right.

Resistance is like a pendulum going from one extreme to another but it swings with varying force.

Good luck

Tony

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a run up to an infection caused the high blood/resistance, annoyingly and embarrassingly I have a small sebaceous cyst at the top of my leg, it came from a bleeding injection (noun not an adjective :p ) that left a small red blister a couple of years back, Dr said it needs surgery to remove it or just leave it be when I went to see him about it, which I did but yesterday it came up in a big red boil.

Flucloxacillin prescribed this morning.