Effects of eating out

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just goes to show that fresh home cooked "real" food is the way to go..

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Not that I'm a fan of eating out but I call "b.s."

"Phthalates are used in a large variety of products, from enteric coatings of pharmaceutical pills and nutritional supplements to viscosity control agents, gelling agents, film formers, stabilizers, dispersants, lubricants, binders, emulsifying agents, and suspending agents. End-applications include adhesives and glues, agricultural adjuvants, building materials, personal-care products, medical devices, detergents and surfactants, packaging, children's toys, modelling clay, waxes, paints, printing inks and coatings, pharmaceuticals, food products, and textiles. Phthalates are also frequently used in soft plastic fishing lures, caulk, paint pigments, and sex toysmade of so-called "jelly rubber". Phthalates are used in a variety of household applications such as shower curtains, vinyl upholstery, adhesives, floor tiles, food containers and wrappers, and cleaning materials. Personal-care items containing phthalates include perfume, eye shadow, moisturizer, nail polish, liquid soap, and hair spray.[8] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not that I'm a fan of eating out but I call "b.s."

"Phthalates are used in a large variety of products, from enteric coatings of pharmaceutical pills and nutritional supplements to viscosity control agents, gelling agents, film formers, stabilizers, dispersants, lubricants, binders, emulsifying agents, and suspending agents. End-applications include adhesives and glues, agricultural adjuvants, building materials, personal-care products, medical devices, detergents and surfactants, packaging, children's toys, modelling clay, waxes, paints, printing inks and coatings, pharmaceuticals, food products, and textiles. Phthalates are also frequently used in soft plastic fishing lures, caulk, paint pigments, and sex toysmade of so-called "jelly rubber". Phthalates are used in a variety of household applications such as shower curtains, vinyl upholstery, adhesives, floor tiles, food containers and wrappers, and cleaning materials. Personal-care items containing phthalates include perfume, eye shadow, moisturizer, nail polish, liquid soap, and hair spray.[8] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate
The takeaway I got from the article is that phthalates aren't good no matter where you absorb them from - the article also mentioned shampoo and as you've noted they are pretty much everywhere these days.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't call eating fast food eating out, think it should be more specific in their language, a lot of good quality nutritious food can be available to eating out in restaurants, good pubs and cafes - from a plate with cutlery - not plastic boxes from fast food joints - also I think there's a lot more to worry about from fast food takeaways than this

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't call eating fast food eating out, think it should be more specific in their language, a lot of good quality nutritious food can be available to eating out in restaurants, good pubs and cafes - from a plate with cutlery - not plastic boxes from fast food joints - also I think there's a lot more to worry about from fast food takeaways than this

Absolutely!

If Phthalates are used in the plastic packaging of foods, then they are used in all the plastic packaging that covers supermarket food too.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Apologies if this is already posted elsewhere, but I found this an interesting, and although I don't eat out much myself, frankly scary, read:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-levels-of-phthalates-in-the-body-study-finds

I was tempted to post this but you beat me to it.

If you are not an American teenager you seem to be reasonably O.K.

It is another aspect of our dependence on plastics for food packaging. I wonder if anyone has tested sea creatures for phthalates? A quick look suggests that they don't seem to check fresh fish on the trawler so packaging may play a role in any found in the supermarket.

Reactions: eggs11
D

Deleted Account

just goes to show that fresh home cooked "real" food is the way to go..
I agree "real food" is the way to go.
However, lumping all "eating out" together is not doing justice to some amazing restaurants which cook "real food", often from local seasonal ingredients which have no need for plastic to keep them fresh.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the 'sex toys made of so-called 'jelly rubber'' that stood out for me in the list of things containing phthalates. The mind boggles.:wideyed:

Being serious, yes, food cooked from scratch is the way to go - and I also agree that many restaurants produce fabulous 'real' food - but, reading that list, I may as well go out in a blaze of carbs because phthalates are absolutely everywhere. As are any number of chemicals. If you took on board every warning, every scary research, every 'you MUST NOT eat/drink/wear/apply/sniff/whatever this *------- (*insert just about anything) you may as well give up. I'm not saying we should not be aware of these things and be mindful of their effects, and of course certain chemicals or additives can affect people badly, but sometimes the scare stories just become too much. After all, they are almost impossible to avoid unless you live in a nuclear-proof bunker....

Reactions: lovinglife

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Apologies if this is already posted elsewhere, but I found this an interesting, and although I don't eat out much myself, frankly scary, read:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-levels-of-phthalates-in-the-body-study-finds

I managed to eat out on Tuesday, it was my wedding anniversary after all and as we both forgot last year, we had to do something this year.

As I only had fillet steak and fresh vegetables delivered to the pub by a real live local greengrocer (no plastic in sight), I think I'm OK for a while.

Reactions: Kim Possible

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found it interesting that these chemicals are another small piece in the puzzle of what can contribute to certain conditions and was surprised to see type 2 mentioned.

Reactions: lovinglife

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm surprised the Red Tops haven't picked up that sex toys give you diabetes!:woot: